Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    ogg wrote:

I cannot stand using the Native player,

Curious why - 

Sorry I never responded, but I just checked back on this since Flash is almost gone in Chrome (Jan 12th).

So what are the plans?  Are we stuck with just Native Player?

I find the Native Player to be very clunky compared to the Flash Player.  I previously also had trouble with effectively viewing history in the Native Viewer, but that appears to be resolved....   The luck chart will not load for me in Native Player.
    And then, there is of course the issue where Native Player can only be loaded directly from the games list.  If you first open the game page and then click Native Player...it decides to open it in Flash anyway.

Edited Thu 7th Jan 13:02 [history]

2. #62 / 88
    Colonel ogg ogg is offline now
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: If memory serves, Nygma’s Dungeon board only loaded correctly in Flash.

That is my recollection as well.

3. #63 / 88
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I find the Native Player to be very clunky compared to the Flash Player.  I previously also had trouble with effectively viewing history in the Native Viewer, but that appears to be resolved....   The luck chart will not load for me in Native Player.
    And then, there is of course the issue where Native Player can only be loaded directly from the games list.  If you first open the game page and then click Native Player...it decides to open it in Flash anyway.

I believe I saw in another thread recently where it might be that you have set Flash as your default player in your settings>player and since forgotten. 

Pratik pointed out that the luck button located in the header above the place button (top left) currently works and Tom has responded to Pratik pointing out that the one we used wasn't working and will be addressed.

4. #64 / 88
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thank you for the feedback everyone (especially Pratik for tracking down the broken Luck chart link); some updates for you all:

Luck Chart

Both ways to access the Luck chart inside and outside of player) should now work

Retiring the Flash player properly

Sorry about any confusion / problems this may have caused over the last few days, I had a few more issues to fix before I could deploy the below updates:

- All games / boards will now launch only in the Native player irrespective of any user setting or board setting

- The user setting to choose Flash or Native player has been removed from the Settings page (http://www.wargear.net/settings/player) and the other Flash specific settings removed

- The second icon to launch your alternate player from the game list has been removed

hootz72 - re your comment "I find the Native Player to be very clunky compared to the Flash Player"

I agree with you, it's never been quite as slick as the Flash experience. Flash was actually pretty great at a lot of things despite the widespread hate (some of it justified of course). I've got two possible recourses here; redeveloping the Native player to use one of many new pure Javascript game libraries which are really excellent; or making the Flash player available again as a standalone Adobe AIR application. More on these two options at a later date.

The new Designer which will be a standalone Adobe AIR application is coming along well, I hope to make a version available to test in the next week or so.

5. #65 / 88
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I was quoting ogg actually, Native has been my goto player for sometime. But your opinion is welcome.

;)

6. #66 / 88
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Thank you for the feedback everyone (especially Pratik for tracking down the broken Luck chart link); some updates for you all:

Luck Chart

Both ways to access the Luck chart inside and outside of player) should now work

Retiring the Flash player properly

Sorry about any confusion / problems this may have caused over the last few days, I had a few more issues to fix before I could deploy the below updates:

- All games / boards will now launch only in the Native player irrespective of any user setting or board setting

- The user setting to choose Flash or Native player has been removed from the Settings page (http://www.wargear.net/settings/player) and the other Flash specific settings removed

- The second icon to launch your alternate player from the game list has been removed

hootz72 - re your comment "I find the Native Player to be very clunky compared to the Flash Player"

I agree with you, it's never been quite as slick as the Flash experience. Flash was actually pretty great at a lot of things despite the widespread hate (some of it justified of course). I've got two possible recourses here; redeveloping the Native player to use one of many new pure Javascript game libraries which are really excellent; or making the Flash player available again as a standalone Adobe AIR application. More on these two options at a later date.

The new Designer which will be a standalone Adobe AIR application is coming along well, I hope to make a version available to test in the next week or so.

Awesome work Tom, so glad to see your effort in keeping the site up and running :)

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

7. #67 / 88
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hootz72 wrote:

I was quoting ogg actually, Native has been my goto player for sometime. But your opinion is welcome.

;)

Oops sorry about that :)

8. #68 / 88
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Great tom - thanks as always!

and, ps, I've never understood the dislike of the native player - I much prefer it to the original flash player

9. #69 / 88
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Great tom - thanks as always!

and, ps, I've never understood the dislike of the native player - I much prefer it to the original flash player

I second that the only times I ever played on the flash player was by accident. I had quickly set the default player to Native after a short time on the site

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

10. #70 / 88
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thanks tom.

Just checked everything you mentioned, and it all looks good, no issues.

A very small point regarding the luck charts tom: In the new luck charts, it is completely impossible (at least for someone with my eyesight) to notice the black lines (the luck of a player who has black as their colour). While this was a bit of an issue in the old luck charts too, it is more pronounced in the new one. One possible solution could simply be to replace a black line with some shade of gray?

I'm one more on the side of the native player. The flash player may have "looked" better, but the native player always behaved better for me. (other than that history bug where you have to go back one turn/one log entry, and then come forward again to prevent seeing wrong numbers).

11. #71 / 88
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Great job Tom. Keep it up. 🤩

12. #72 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

well; it's happened. no flash.

i, for one, am somewhat excited to see what the new designer will be like...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #73 / 88
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

well; it's happened. no flash.

i, for one, am somewhat excited to see what the new designer will be like...

How would you rate that excitement compared to seeing how Kittle and the 2021 Niners rebound and reclaim the NFC? 😉

14. #74 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'd say WG wins that one (Cus I know it will happen). {#emotions_dlg.razz}

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #75 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom; there must be something trying to load Flash still; the site pops up a Flash banner across the page because "the Flash was blocked because it is out of date" 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

16. #76 / 88
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

@weathertop I had that but I just changed the setting to the site to Block and restarted my browser and it went away.

@tom if you need anyone to beta test the new designer I offer myself up as tribute! I have had my disagreements with the designer since my return and am really excited for any enhancements or changes.

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

17. #77 / 88
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

@weathertop I had that but I just changed the setting to the site to Block and restarted my browser and it went away.

How did you do this? I can't find the flash settings (on chrome)

18. #78 / 88
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

In the url bar to the left there is  a section that says "Not Secure". If you right click on that a box comes up to change the setting. There is also "site settings" there where you can change the default to "Block" so it doesn't come up again.

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

19. #79 / 88
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

In the url bar to the left there is  a section that says "Not Secure". If you right click on that a box comes up to change the setting. There is also "site settings" there where you can change the default to "Block" so it doesn't come up again.

Awesome. Thanks!

20. #80 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

blocked by my administrator (work laptop). oh well. they'll get to it eventually. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)