184 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 17
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

As some of you know I was a fairly high-level community college administrator for a number of years. That was getting intense and I didn't have time/mental space for some things including Wargear.

In January I finally decided enough was enough and went back to teaching High School in an alternative-type school setting. A very welcome change and my mental health has recovered significantly. I was considering rejoining Wargear, but I was good-busy and for reasons had limited internet access. I also am planning on taking full advantage of the teacher calendar and live off the grid this summer!

We closed on Monday due to the Coronavirus (I'm in upstate NY, USA). Sure its good that I am home and have time for Wargear (joined a few games), but I know it is hard on my students. A lot of unanswerable questions at this point as to what it means for their future - 

Here's to hoping you and the people you care about come through this alright.

2. #2 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Good to see you're back, albeit under undesirable circumstances.  I think the main thing is, we need to take care of our elderly and those with outstanding health issues.

A - do our best to see they are not infected

B - if they are infected, getting them treatment and care as soon as possible

As for the rest of us, we'll get thru after a week or two of not feeling well. My other concern is about the financial impact (loss of jobs and businesses that will occur this spring and possibly summer).

3. #3 / 17
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Our daughter's school is cancelled for the foreseeable future, and my wife and I are working from home.  Other that doing ok.  Had to unwind our spring break vacation, which was a hassle, but I think we are healthy, so can't complain too much.  Even was able to score an order of TP delivered for this weekend (single-ply, but beggars can't be choosers).

Mostly just feeling really busy and stressed - trying to still get our jobs done, and keep our kid from just sitting in front of a screen all day.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.  Everything still feels very uncertain for now.

4. #4 / 17
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The geotech/testing company I work for is the last one of its kind still open in Colorado. I'm just happy to still be able to work (would not be compensated if closed). I do quality control/inspections on construction projects which are outside and open. People can stay distanced from each other for the most part so I think it's one of those industries that shouldn't close.

5. #5 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm able to work from home. Basically everything is cancelled around here, which affects me less than most my neighbours as I'm not really the type to paint the town red anyway. No virus here so far. 

6. #6 / 17
    Standard Member Renegade83
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Here in Switzerland, basically everything non-essential has been shut down, schools, unis, gyms, restaurants, bars etc.

Hospitals have now started hiring students to better manage the expected wave of patients, in regards to logistics, screening/lab work and management. Depending on whether or not I get hired, I might have to take a few vacation days. That's also why I have refrained from joining any new games.

Very unsure what is ahead, especially taking in to account what has been happening in Italy.

Edited Fri 20th Mar 09:37 [history]

7. #7 / 17
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have currently got Corona... self described of course. I am not so ill to go to hospital, and in the UK we are told to self isolate as soon as we have any symptoms anyway.

I was horribly coughing and feverish for 3-4 days. Sweated my bed into a horrible mess. Now im just exhausted. I count myself very lucky that I feel it was fairly mild, and as a mid thirties sporty dude, im not its target demographic.

I wouldn't want my mum getting it though.

WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE! SLOW ITS ADVANCE!

Off Topic!

8. #8 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Good to hear that you're thru it Aiken. I'll be curious to see how much longer til you feel back to your normal self. Atleast you don't have to worry about contracting it now.

Renegade, good luck on the employment front. Hopefully, even if you take a new job, you keep playing a small amount of games. We definitely need more players like you on the site.

9. #9 / 17
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Keep safe everybody

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

10. #10 / 17
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That sucks Aiken, get well soon mate!

11. #11 / 17
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

good to see you again Amidon. I feel really bad for the kids right now. Here in IA they're shut down til mid-Apr (minimum). But with this just starting to wind up, and if I were a betting man, then I won't be surprised if they shut down for the rest of the year. We've got a teacher union here (never really been a bad thing) and I don't see them allowing us to go to a modified year round to tie into next year. What happens to all that they were supposed to learn? Going to be rough to catch up on all that missed time if that happens.

Otherwise, been somewhat schizophrenic here. I work for a company that is simultaneously divesting and merging. Trying to extract 40+ years of products/data/etc in and of itself is no easy task (especially one that is thoroughly integrated with other parts of the company). Me being in the HW end, things are 10x more complicated than SW or SYS.
    THEN pile all the COVID stuff on top - we just got authorization to work from home at the same time as we are given the "you're critical and have to keep designing/producing widgets".
    THEN add insult to injury - I get sick middle of last week (my wife has been *extremely* concerned as I have a compromised immune system). Not COVID as far as I can tell, mostly head/sinus. But still, a serious bad time for a leader (and a father) to get sick... So I'm stuck at home, encouraging my team to do the same from one side of the mouth and out the other saying we need to get A,B,C done which can only be done on-site. 

It's going to be interesting to see how the majority pull thru this.

@Aiken, glad you pulled thru! kinda scary here that we can't even get tested if we were in that boat. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 17
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, SUPER glad [grateful] I'm part of a community like this, thank you all for the intelligent, patient, caring and fun group you make this place! 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop, seriously hope you don't have the COVID-19 and you recover from whatever it is soon, especially as you mentioned your compromised immune system.  I think your wife is right to be concerned.

btw, here's a game with Amidon, if you're interested in joining.  I have a love/hate relationship with this particular board. I love to play it, and typically hate the results at the end. ;)

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/710623

Edited Tue 24th Mar 01:43 [history]

14. #14 / 17
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I hope you get better soon weathertop - best of health. I know what it's like to have a compromised immune system. Good luck with the work challenges.

I'm luckier there, I got demoted due to my health concers (they couldn't afford someone doing critical stuff if they weren't sure he'd turn up the next day) so now I'm doing routine stuff, easily done from home.

Edited Tue 24th Mar 09:05 [history]

15. #15 / 17
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

On a cheerier note I'm happy to have a job where I could quickly transition to work from home (though there are still struggles there) as I have newborn I get to see a lot more. Also cutting out the +45 minute commute each way saves a lot of time and money. 

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

16. #16 / 17
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Congrats on the sprog!

Off Topic!

17. #17 / 17
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thank you :)

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)