203 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I may have rose tinted spectacles, but I am sure in years gone by, games filled quicker?

I have tried to launch several but after quite a while no one seems to be joining

If anyone reads this, please click on my profile and feel welcome to join!

Off Topic!

2. #2 / 28
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Joined a few

Mind taking a look my way?

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

3. #3 / 28
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just checked and there are 120 games open. I recall the average open game count use to be somewhere in the 80's range.  That may explain some of it.  Also, possibly people are playing in more tournaments??

4. #4 / 28
    Standard Member SpyYoshiRv
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

People are getting more sided towards the classic world or geographical maps rather than trying out new ones. I would like having new players though, because then many games and new boards end up getting tried out.

EDIT: I just also noticed your games are CC, but several of them for 10 players do tend to take a while to fill.

Edited Fri 12th Apr 06:43 [history]

5. #5 / 28
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:

Joined a few

Mind taking a look my way?

Will do mate!

Off Topic!

6. #6 / 28
    Premium Member IRsmart
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

yep, I had noticed this too. Even with some of the more popular maps. 

I think the greater number of maps might play a role. But I also think that there may be fewer active players about than there has been in the past.

7. #7 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think there have been that many maps added to the mix in the last 2 or 3 years, so I don't think that's what's making the difference. On the other hand, it certainly could be a combination of things mentioned so far.  One other explanation that comes to mind. SpyRoshiRv suggested people only play certain maps, but consider the contrary:  It's possible that the more veteran players are actually playing a wider diversity of boards, thereby diluting interest in the more popular and emerging boards. Consider the "Board Revival Group" as anecdotal evidence.  ..and don't forget, if you're hunting down CPs, you're going to want to play these less popular boards. Combine these tendencies with a leveling or even declining active membership, and it's going to become harder to fill games.

Edited Sat 20th Apr 15:58 [history]

8. #8 / 28
    Premium Member IRsmart
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

do we have any stats on the active number of players in time?

The stats page doesnt really give the level of activity. 

9. #9 / 28
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

IRsmart wrote:

do we have any stats on the active number of players in time?

The stats page doesnt really give the level of activity. 

Of the top 30 players on global ranking, only 3 have played this year.

I wonder if ranking would be more exciting to players if it just ranked them with active players.  Of course it's been more than a year since I looked at that page so who knows who pays attention to it :p

Edited Mon 17th Jun 16:21 [history]

10. #10 / 28
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I’ve advocated for an all-time list and an Active list for awhile.

11. #11 / 28
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

We do have an active ranking list. It's just called monthly ranking. 

12. #12 / 28
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

13. #13 / 28
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The monthly score could be made more prominent. I was in the running for a high placing in May and then forgot to look at it the last few days, and poof - gone. Maybe save the monthly 1-2-3 (or more, if desired) somewhere?

14. #14 / 28
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah I dont think many people pay too much attention to the monthly ranking.  The problem I have with trying to move up the rankings on a lot of boards is that many of the old players jumped in when the board was somewhat undiscovered territory and were able to fill in the rankings quite easily.  Its much harder to now push up the rankings on a niche board when a lot of those older accounts have been inactive for years, and you keep running into the same two other players still interested in the map who are also trying to squeeze their way up the same rankings.

Edited Tue 18th Jun 12:45 [history]

15. #15 / 28
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I started a new discussion on this thread for retiring old accounts.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4980p1

16. #16 / 28
    Standard Member Terminatorr
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Logged in again after many years. tried playing a few quick games and quickly realized why i left. no dice luck for me, only opponent. ggs and glad some of you are still active. maybe in a couple more years I'll have better dice. goodluck to all

17. #17 / 28
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Terminatorr wrote:

Logged in again after many years. tried playing a few quick games and quickly realized why i left. no dice luck for me, only opponent. ggs and glad some of you are still active. maybe in a couple more years I'll have better dice. goodluck to all

You were gone 13 months, played 12 games, won seven, lost five, after having really good dice in four games and really bad dice on four other games. Of course, the bad ones were stacked towards the end of the 12. You don't remember the first ones?

Unrealistic expectations like these makes it difficult to keep people happy.

18. #18 / 28
    Premium Member Shredder
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Good competition, silly banter, and rousing camaraderie is a great reason to - not care about the dice and keep having fun.

That said - rankings are fun, but also a bit odd.  I like the concept of "All Time" and also "Active"...

19. #19 / 28
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Shredder wrote:

Good competition, silly banter, and rousing camaraderie is a great reason to - not care about the dice and keep having fun.

That said - rankings are fun, but also a bit odd.  I like the concept of "All Time" and also "Active"...

Agree with all of this

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

20. #20 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Shredder wrote:

I let my Premium subscription expire a few months ago and haven't renewed it. I have to admit, the games are less enjoyable without it. I may even take a break after my remaining 4 or 5 games end.  Lack of growth on the admin side has been moderately disappointing, especially on the designer side of things, but the more recent declining membership/participation has kind of pushed things over the edge for me.  It's especially frustrating because I've designed so many boards.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)