217 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

People only seem to notice when they have bad luck.  Go on - prove me wrong ..and no fair pointing the opponent who was on the other side of your bad luck!

Edited Sat 16th Feb 20:46 [history]

2. #2 / 15
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I have to say, the only advantage of being a standard member (that i can tell) is not being able to see luck stats, because that enables me to focus on what I did right or how i messed up. And I agree, I see a lot of players complain about their bad luck. I do notice bad or good luck for myself on the WGW board, because luck is a greater factor there than on most boards.

But back to your challenge, one of my opponents told me i had +36 luck in a one on one game, but that was like 3 years ago, and i don't remember the board. I'm sure i've had better luck than that in some other games i've played, but I can't access those stats at this time

3. #3 / 15
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I remember several instances of good luck. Take a look at this one, and remember that on this map going 1st is in itself a handy piece of luck. Plus of course it's a fairly small board so you won't get the biggest absolute numbers from it:

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/646784

4. #4 / 15
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

This is probably the luckiest tournament anyone ever had here. I did lose one game but the other six were won for me by initial distribution and dice, I didn't have to do anything. And all the others beat each other:

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2301

5. #5 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

I remember several instances of good luck. Take a look at this one, and remember that on this map going 1st is in itself a handy piece of luck. Plus of course it's a fairly small board so you won't get the biggest absolute numbers from it:

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/646784

Yertle really needs to change the first round bonuses for two players on that board.  That game was over after the first round as far as I'm concerned, and certainly after the second.

6. #6 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Chele Nica wrote:

I have to say, the only advantage of being a standard member (that i can tell) is not being able to see luck stats, because that enables me to focus on what I did right or how i messed up. And I agree, I see a lot of players complain about their bad luck. I do notice bad or good luck for myself on the WGW board, because luck is a greater factor there than on most boards.

But back to your challenge, one of my opponents told me i had +36 luck in a one on one game, but that was like 3 years ago, and i don't remember the board. I'm sure i've had better luck than that in some other games i've played, but I can't access those stats at this time

I think of luck stats as more of a barometer than anything else.  Context is everything.  +36 over how many rolls?  Back a few years ago there were a number of lively and very active discussions on these boards about how to modify that stat to reflect that.

Different subject, but I've seen a number of games where the winner had negative luck stats. 

7. #7 / 15
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Different subject, but I've seen a number of games where the winner had negative luck stats. 

Of course, luck is only one factor. There's also strategy and "negotiation skills" (making truces / alliances). I engage only occasionally in the later, but I recognize it can be a determinant factor in many games, specially multiplayer no fog or light fog games (which I tend to avoid).

8. #8 / 15
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Chele Nica wrote:

I think of luck stats as more of a barometer than anything else.  Context is everything.  +36 over how many rolls?  Back a few years ago there were a number of lively and very active discussions on these boards about how to modify that stat to reflect that.

Winner having negative luck stats is nothing out of the ordinary. I've won games with really bad ones, also 1-on-1. And I've been in a game where initial distribution was so heavily in my opponent's favour that getting +15 didn't help me at all (Antastic!).

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member zdisabled_8a7ed3fe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I was pretty lucky this game.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/614060

But I also lucky to form a backstop truce that held up until the end.

10. #10 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

I was pretty lucky this game.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/614060

But I also lucky to form a backstop truce that held up until the end.

+45 after rolling almost 2000 dice is lucky to be sure, but I don't know that it's exceedingly lucky. You had a good portion of that good luck once you were pretty safely in the lead.  Does garbage luck count?

11. #11 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Define "garbage luck?"

Yes, I dominated most of the game, but I still could have rolled a streak of 1s at any time.  I don't think position and power affect dice rolls at all.

Edited Fri 1st Mar 10:25 [history]

12. #12 / 15
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

People only seem to notice when they have bad luck.  Go on - prove me wrong ..and no fair pointing the opponent who was on the other side of your bad luck!

This is very very true. I attribute the mindset to Herzberg's hygiene factors

One of the only things I took away from my marketing class in college. This theory applies to so many aspects of life, it's not even funny. I literally apply this at least once per week to a situation in my life.

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

Define "garbage luck?"

Yes, I dominated most of the game, but I still could have rolled a streak of 1s at any time.  I don't think position and power affect dice rolls at all.

Garbage points are points scored when the game is in the bag.  If it's the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter and your team is up by 20 points, it doesn't really matter if a bad call or two by the referees go against you.

I'm not suggesting that the dice roll any differently.  Of course you can be way ahead in a game and a really bad string of rolls can ruin you, but that's rare. I'm simply referring to situations where once you're way ahead (or behind) and a marginal string of bad (or good) rolls won't really change the results of the game.

Edited Fri 1st Mar 11:43 [history]

14. #14 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I think I see what you mean.  The luck late in the game was gratuitous.  I would have won either way.  The luck just made it easier, not decisive.  

No argument there.  Still has nothing to do with having the "Best Luck Ever," like the OP named this thread.

Oh wait... that was you.

15. #15 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

I think I see what you mean.  The luck late in the game was gratuitous.  I would have won either way.  The luck just made it easier, not decisive.  

No argument there.  Still has nothing to do with having the "Best Luck Ever," like the OP named this thread.

Oh wait... that was you.

LOL

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)