0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 21
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Hi all,

We were talking about playing risk in person in our youthful days a separate thread, and thought about floating the idea of one (or several) in-person wargear meet-up(s).

So let's see if this is even feasible. Those who might be interested, post the following info:

1) What state you're located in

2) How far you'd be willing to travel for an in-person meet-up (in your state, in your country, in your continent, etc)

3) Any thoughts on dates / timeframe (long weekend, summertime, 2nd weekend of April, etc)

4) Any thoughts on location (can you host, do you know a good hotel / retreat center, etc)

5) Are you willing to organize your local meet-up if enough people are interested in your region / country? 

We will also plan our 2nd Real-time Online Wargear Meet-up (look for a separate forum thread on that)

2. #2 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

So I'll get us started on this.

1) I'm in North Carolina, USA

2) I'm willing to travel within southeast USA (Washington, DC to Florida). If we had a ton of people sign up, I'd be willing to travel further, as long as we planned far enough ahead, and I could make it affordable to do that.

3) I'd say at least 3 days. I work as a freelancer, so I'm pretty flexible, but my summer does get pretty packed with travel, so other seasons would be better for me

4) Location: I live in a pretty cosmopolitan area, and could find affordable lodging nearby for other folks. We have one guest bedroom, so could only accomodate 1 or 2 extra folks at our house. Outside of this immediate area, Charlotte, Atlanta and DC come up as good options

5) Yes, I'm willing to organize a local meet-up

3. #3 / 21
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Colorado, USA

2. Willing to travel through midwest USA. Might be able to travel outside this zone with enough planning. 

3. Prefer a 3 day period either Friday through sunday, or Saturday through Monday.

4. I live just north of the greater denver area and know of a few good ideas for venues.

5. Willing to help organize a meet up.

4. #4 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Abishai!

For those interested, here's the other thread for our 2nd real-time online wargear meet-up

5. #5 / 21
    Colonel ogg ogg is offline now
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I would be interested, 3 days seems good depending on timing.  I live in Salt Lake City, UT and I could potentially travel a few states in either direction....or else I would have to turn it into a flying trip to visit my wife's relatives in Raleigh NC! :) 

We call this an in-person Wargear meetup, but would that mean we are playing through the web, but sitting in the same location, or are we talking about physical board games?  A friend and I do physical board game get-together events about 5 times a year...incidentally, that is why I am not available on Sat mar 30th.

6. #6 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

That's cool you schedule in-person board games, our church is starting to do those monthly, and I enjoyed the last one I went to

As far as playing through the web vs physical board games, I guess it depends on what each group wants to do. I see one CO / UT group potentially forming with ogg, abishai and ozyman, so if Abishai is willing to organize it, you guys could talk about what you'd prefer to do, and hopefully pull a few more folks in on the fun 

And anytime you're in NC, ogg, hit me up, and at the minimum, it'd be great to meet up over beer or a good smoothie :)

7. #7 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'd be up for a mid-west one (I'm in Iowa), I know there are a few others somewhat near by, but we've been unable to arrange a time. Although that's not cus we've tried hard and failed.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Cool, I'm sure y'all can figure something out!

9. #9 / 21
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Colorado, USA  (live about an hour north/east of Denver).

2. Willing to travel an hour or two.  I wish it could be more, but not sure how far the rest of the family will want to travel.  My wife also plays on wargear (Livia), so we'd either need to get a babysitter or bring our daughter (almost 10yo) along.  We play boardgames together as a family & my daughter would probably just play on one of our teams.

3. A weekend would work best.  Our schedule is pretty busy, so would be best to plan things at least a month in advance.

4.  Lots of breweries in Colorado.  Maybe one of those?  Or a FLGS?

5. sure.

10. #10 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Maybe Abishai and Ozyman can co-coordinate a midwest meet-up, as you both said you are willing to organize it? 

Once you figure out specifics, please post here or on a new thread, so that others may be able to join if they are able

Edited Thu 21st Feb 12:28 [history]

11. #11 / 21
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm in Chicago. I'd be up for a midwest or southeast (Orlando?) meet up.

12. #12 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

It's only me so far in the southeast, so the CO/IA/UT grouping may be a better option for you.

But Mi Casa es Tu Casa, you're welcome to visit me in NC as well :)

13. #13 / 21
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It’s early. Let’s wait to see some more replies come in. Perhaps we can get Tom to cross the pond, some Canadians to cross that ‘dangerous’ border, etc. 😉

14. #14 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

for what it's worth, CO/UT are NOT midewest! {#emotions_dlg.nono} 
    that's a minimum 13hr drive; and there's a whole lot of nothing between.

if there are any in the surrounding states (WI/IL/MO/KS/NE/MN, maybe SD) that are interested, i would try to coordinate. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #15 / 21
    Colonel ogg ogg is offline now
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think IL is the best bet for a meetup!

16. #16 / 21
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Might be wise to consider both an "East Meetup" and a "West Meetup", just saying. I've seen that done with car clubs where you find a central location on either side of the river. If you could pull it off the same weekend do some live video.  If enough peeps were interested. 

As an example: say Omaha for the west, kind of central to the IL /CO equation, it's easy to get a block of rooms at a Motel. Must have WiFi and not rent by the hour. And no, I'm no where near Omaha.

17. #17 / 21
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Next time you guys need a thread stopped in it's tracks, just lemme know!

18. #18 / 21
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Lol, I'll keep it in mind, hootz72 :)

It seems like there were a couple good options for meetups, one in the midwest (WI/IL/MO/KS/NE/MN, maybe SD), one in CO/IA/UT area. But there may not be enough people reading the forums to make it happen

19. #19 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

sorry, but if you're doing a midwest one, IA fits better than the Rockies. ;) 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #20 / 21
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking Peoria, IL would be a good spot. I could come down from Chicago.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)