We were talking about playing risk in person in our youthful days a separate thread, and thought about floating the idea of one (or several) in-person wargear meet-up(s).
So let's see if this is even feasible. Those who might be interested, post the following info:
1) What state you're located in
2) How far you'd be willing to travel for an in-person meet-up (in your state, in your country, in your continent, etc)
3) Any thoughts on dates / timeframe (long weekend, summertime, 2nd weekend of April, etc)
4) Any thoughts on location (can you host, do you know a good hotel / retreat center, etc)
5) Are you willing to organize your local meet-up if enough people are interested in your region / country?
We will also plan our 2nd Real-time Online Wargear Meet-up (look for a separate forum thread on that)
So I'll get us started on this.
1) I'm in North Carolina, USA
2) I'm willing to travel within southeast USA (Washington, DC to Florida). If we had a ton of people sign up, I'd be willing to travel further, as long as we planned far enough ahead, and I could make it affordable to do that.
3) I'd say at least 3 days. I work as a freelancer, so I'm pretty flexible, but my summer does get pretty packed with travel, so other seasons would be better for me
4) Location: I live in a pretty cosmopolitan area, and could find affordable lodging nearby for other folks. We have one guest bedroom, so could only accomodate 1 or 2 extra folks at our house. Outside of this immediate area, Charlotte, Atlanta and DC come up as good options
5) Yes, I'm willing to organize a local meet-up
1. Colorado, USA
2. Willing to travel through midwest USA. Might be able to travel outside this zone with enough planning.
3. Prefer a 3 day period either Friday through sunday, or Saturday through Monday.
4. I live just north of the greater denver area and know of a few good ideas for venues.
5. Willing to help organize a meet up.
For those interested, here's the other thread for our 2nd real-time online wargear meet-up
I would be interested, 3 days seems good depending on timing. I live in Salt Lake City, UT and I could potentially travel a few states in either direction....or else I would have to turn it into a flying trip to visit my wife's relatives in Raleigh NC! :)
We call this an in-person Wargear meetup, but would that mean we are playing through the web, but sitting in the same location, or are we talking about physical board games? A friend and I do physical board game get-together events about 5 times a year...incidentally, that is why I am not available on Sat mar 30th.
That's cool you schedule in-person board games, our church is starting to do those monthly, and I enjoyed the last one I went to
As far as playing through the web vs physical board games, I guess it depends on what each group wants to do. I see one CO / UT group potentially forming with ogg, abishai and ozyman, so if Abishai is willing to organize it, you guys could talk about what you'd prefer to do, and hopefully pull a few more folks in on the fun
And anytime you're in NC, ogg, hit me up, and at the minimum, it'd be great to meet up over beer or a good smoothie :)
I'd be up for a mid-west one (I'm in Iowa), I know there are a few others somewhat near by, but we've been unable to arrange a time. Although that's not cus we've tried hard and failed.
Cool, I'm sure y'all can figure something out!
1. Colorado, USA (live about an hour north/east of Denver).
2. Willing to travel an hour or two. I wish it could be more, but not sure how far the rest of the family will want to travel. My wife also plays on wargear (Livia), so we'd either need to get a babysitter or bring our daughter (almost 10yo) along. We play boardgames together as a family & my daughter would probably just play on one of our teams.
3. A weekend would work best. Our schedule is pretty busy, so would be best to plan things at least a month in advance.
4. Lots of breweries in Colorado. Maybe one of those? Or a FLGS?
Maybe Abishai and Ozyman can co-coordinate a midwest meet-up, as you both said you are willing to organize it?
Once you figure out specifics, please post here or on a new thread, so that others may be able to join if they are able
I'm in Chicago. I'd be up for a midwest or southeast (Orlando?) meet up.
It's only me so far in the southeast, so the CO/IA/UT grouping may be a better option for you.
But Mi Casa es Tu Casa, you're welcome to visit me in NC as well :)
It’s early. Let’s wait to see some more replies come in. Perhaps we can get Tom to cross the pond, some Canadians to cross that ‘dangerous’ border, etc. 😉
for what it's worth, CO/UT are NOT midewest!
that's a minimum 13hr drive; and there's a whole lot of nothing between.
if there are any in the surrounding states (WI/IL/MO/KS/NE/MN, maybe SD) that are interested, i would try to coordinate.