0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 32
    Standard Member ActionRaccoon
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

choosing first territory's will be of the following: 

Players roll to see who goes first. The highest roll goes first. The player who goes first then gets to choose who goes second. Either the player to the right of them or the left.

Each player chooses their first territory. If a player chooses a territory another player wanted, they can roll for it. Tie goes to the defender.  The territory that was chossen by the player gets that territory card from the deck. From this point forward, that card is in the hand for card cashing and bonus troops. 

The reason every player begins with one card is to make the game go quicker. Every game is 1hr and 45 min. So anything to make it quicker is an asset. 

From this point on the rest of the territorys are random and chossen by cards. Each player places at least 1 troop in their territory's. Each player starts with at least 20 troops and they place their troops on their territory's as they wish.  In the original risk rules, players would go around the table and 1 by 1 would place troops. But since we are short for time players can just place their troops where they want on their territorys in 2 min. As long as each territory has at least 1 troop, they can also change their mind and move troops to other territory's. When all players are satisfied with their choices the choosing territory round is complete. This round will take about 5 min. 

Players get to choose where their capital is on their turn during the troop bonus phase, but not during the choosing territory round. During their next turn they will get their bonus 2 troops on their capital. The reason I don't want people to choose a capital place on their first turn or the territory choosing round is because it can lead to a very large disadvantage for a player. Imagine a player chooses a territory for their capital, and then is surrounded by enemy players. They then loose it the first round because they got to move 5th or 6th. What if the first player chooses their capital beside them ? The person who moves last in a round could be at a very large disadvantage. 

To counter this I could make some rules though: No player can attack a capital till the 2nd round, No one can place a capital anywhere near another within 3 territories. This would make the game go a bit faster, but it could lead to some instances where the first player who moved has to large of an advantage. Player 1 chooses East Australia, Player 2 chooses South America, Player3 Chooses congo. Player 4,5, and 6 are now stuck choosing territories in continents that are harder to get. Player 1,2, and 3 can get territories in their continent and by round 2 or 3 have continets and capitals. 

But if we let players choose what territory their capital is, and when, everyone has a fairer chance at continents. This also gives a bit of strategy. A player can put up a capital on their first turn, for a bonus. But they could also loose it. A player may want to secure a continent before putting up a capital. Or they might want to wait till the end just to have their points. 

I'll consider using cards for points, and I'll adjust the point system for troops

2. #22 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey guys, This one is gonna be a long post. Just wanna say thanks to everyone who has been reading my posts. This is gonna be a some more rules I'm adding to the game to give some more alternate strategy's, create a rubber band effect, and for players to focus on the tournament as a whole rather then just 1 game at a time. Enjoy, 

Before the tournament begins, each player will have their name drawn for the beginning set up.  The second game will be chosen by how well the players did. Higher scored players will play  on boards 1and 2. Medium scored will play on 2 or 3 and less scored will play on 5 or 6. The 3rd game will be played on a vote system. 3 players will be drawn from a hat. Those 3 players choose what board they get to play on. These selected players can choose to play at another chosen players game, or go to another board that has no players.  Then any players can volunteer to play in a game that these random chosen have chosen . If there are more players then seats at a game then the volunteers will roll dice to decide who can play. The highest will stay, the lowest will leave. Volunteer players cannot go to games that don’t have these chosen few. Once the games have been filled then new people will be drawn to start over till no one else is left. The motivations of these players to join could be to get revenge on another player for a past game, or wanting to keep an alliance going for another game, or for whatever reason.  

Command Cards

Each team (or player) will start with 4 command cards. The command cards are divided between them on how they feel. Each card can only be used once in the tournament. They cannot be traded among other teams (or players) . Once used players must wright a big X on the card or rip them in half.  If both players on a team are in the same game, they cannot use the command cards in that game. Each game a player can only use 2 command cards max.

Nuke: To be launched from a capital, either 1-4 territories away from the capital. If a territory has been nuked, all troops on that territory are dead. That territory cannot be used to cross through, attacked, or claimed. Only until the 6th round can any players cross through the nuked territory. If a nuke is used on the 6th round, it will still kill off all troops, and destroy a capital if one is on it. but troops can still cross through it and claim it. If a nuke is used on a capital, that capital is destroyed and cannot be claimed by anyone.

Spawn 10 troops: 10 troops are spawned at your capital. If the player has no capital then it cannot be used. You can only use this on your turn. Only used at reinforcement  phase.

Switch!: Forcefully switch 4 territories with another player (s) (2 of your own, with 2 of their own) Or you can switch with other players territories and not your own. This can only be used during the territory choosing round.

Hero Summon: A hero can fight alongside your army, with their own dice. If you are attacking you can roll with 4 dice (3 regular armies, 1 hero) If you are defending you can roll 3 dice (2 regular armies, 1 hero). The Hero uses a different color dice, and attacking mechanics are the same. The highest roll of the attacking team faces the highest roll of the defending team. If the hero losses a dice roll, they do not die like a regular army. Instead they lose a hit point (HP). If they loose 3 they are dead. They cannot regain their HPs. Heroes are able to move 2 spaces during the move phase, and is not counted to the regular troop movement. If a army is with a hero, they can retreat from battles if they are defending. This is not counted from the regular retreats.  Heroes can be summoned on or after round 3. They can be spawned on any territory the player owns, and doesn’t need to be spawned at a capital.

Only do this for the second and 3rd game: Choose the Prize territory: Player 1 shuffles the deck and takes the top card from the draw pile. Whatever the territory put a red chip token from Axis and Allies on that territory, unless its in Australia. If its from Australia choose another card from the top. This territory is the prize territory. This territory has no strategic advantage in a game, but at the end of the game, whoever owns this will have +2 to their overall points.

I added these rules to give a special experience in this Risk Tournament. Its not just a typical Risk Game. Players must think about the individual risk game to earn points, but also think about their 2 other games. A player might feel bad that they lost very badly at their first game, but if they didnt use their command cards and other people did, then they might have a shot at doing better at other games. There's also an alliance/revenge side to the 3rd game of Risk. Thanks for reading guys, I appreciate any and all feed back. 

3. #23 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey guys, This one is gonna be a long post. Just wanna say thanks to everyone who has been reading my posts. This is gonna be a some more rules I'm adding to the game to give some more alternate strategy's, create a rubber band effect, and for players to focus on the tournament as a whole rather then just 1 game at a time. Enjoy, 

Before the tournament begins, each player will have their name drawn for the beginning set up.  The second game will be chosen by how well the players did. Higher scored players will play  on boards 1and 2. Medium scored will play on 2 or 3 and less scored will play on 5 or 6. The 3rd game will be played on a vote system. 3 players will be drawn from a hat. Those 3 players choose what board they get to play on. These selected players can choose to play at another chosen players game, or go to another board that has no players.  Then any players can volunteer to play in a game that these random chosen have chosen . If there are more players then seats at a game then the volunteers will roll dice to decide who can play. The highest will stay, the lowest will leave. Volunteer players cannot go to games that don’t have these chosen few. Once the games have been filled then new people will be drawn to start over till no one else is left. The motivations of these players to join could be to get revenge on another player for a past game, or wanting to keep an alliance going for another game, or for whatever reason.  

Command Cards

Each team (or player) will start with 4 command cards. The command cards are divided between them on how they feel. Each card can only be used once in the tournament. They cannot be traded among other teams (or players) . Once used players must wright a big X on the card or rip them in half.  If both players on a team are in the same game, they cannot use the command cards in that game. Each game a player can only use 2 command cards max.

Nuke: To be launched from a capital, either 1-4 territories away from the capital. If a territory has been nuked, all troops on that territory are dead. That territory cannot be used to cross through, attacked, or claimed. Only until the 6th round can any players cross through the nuked territory. If a nuke is used on the 6th round, it will still kill off all troops, and destroy a capital if one is on it. but troops can still cross through it and claim it. If a nuke is used on a capital, that capital is destroyed and cannot be claimed by anyone.

Spawn 10 troops: 10 troops are spawned at your capital. If the player has no capital then it cannot be used. You can only use this on your turn. Only used at reinforcement  phase.

Switch!: Forcefully switch 4 territories with another player (s) (2 of your own, with 2 of their own) Or you can switch with other players territories and not your own. This can only be used during the territory choosing round.

Hero Summon: A hero can fight alongside your army, with their own dice. If you are attacking you can roll with 4 dice (3 regular armies, 1 hero) If you are defending you can roll 3 dice (2 regular armies, 1 hero). The Hero uses a different color dice, and attacking mechanics are the same. The highest roll of the attacking team faces the highest roll of the defending team. If the hero losses a dice roll, they do not die like a regular army. Instead they lose a hit point (HP). If they loose 3 they are dead. They cannot regain their HPs. Heroes are able to move 2 spaces during the move phase, and is not counted to the regular troop movement. If a army is with a hero, they can retreat from battles if they are defending. This is not counted from the regular retreats.  Heroes can be summoned on or after round 3. They can be spawned on any territory the player owns, and doesn’t need to be spawned at a capital.

Only do this for the second and 3rd game: Choose the Prize territory: Player 1 shuffles the deck and takes the top card from the draw pile. Whatever the territory put a red chip token from Axis and Allies on that territory, unless its in Australia. If its from Australia choose another card from the top. This territory is the prize territory. This territory has no strategic advantage in a game, but at the end of the game, whoever owns this will have +2 to their overall points.

I added these rules to give a special experience in this Risk Tournament. Its not just a typical Risk Game. Players must think about the individual risk game to earn points, but also think about their 2 other games. A player might feel bad that they lost very badly at their first game, but if they didnt use their command cards and other people did, then they might have a shot at doing better at other games. There's also an alliance/revenge side to the 3rd game of Risk. Thanks for reading guys, I appreciate any and all feed back. 

4. #24 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Those are some interesting rules - sounds like fun.

5. #25 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks, What do you think about the Command Cards? 

6. #26 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I don't know really - what each card does is cool and it seems the players would think hard about the most strategic time to use each card. I think I like the idea that you have special cards that can only be used once in the tournament - it should do what you want - i.e. be something that spans the whole tournament. 

So, in concept it all seems fun. In reality there may be things that don't work together or something that is hard to implement logistically - but no problems really jump out at me.

7. #27 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey guys, I wanna give an update to my tournament. 

Tournament was originally tm but there is a storm coming so I postponed it to Thursday. I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. I making t-shirts to sell. Also got like 10 board games of Risk. There might be more risk games then people who attend. My friend is making a documentary about the whole thing. I want to host a Risk tournament 2 times a year. Possibly create story elements in the 2nd. Wish me luck guy,  

8. #28 / 32
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Best of luck AR :)

9. #29 / 32
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, and let us know how it goes!

10. #30 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Update on Tournament: 

It really turned out to be 6 guys playing risk and eating pizza. Still fun, Prizes were still given out. 1st prize $50 visa gift card, 2nd $25 gift card to Canadian Tire (A famous store in Canada) and 3 was $15 gift card to Tim Hortants, (a famous coffee shop in Canada) I sold 1 sweater with a Risk theme, gave a t-shirt to my friend who is making a documentary about the whole thing. I gave another t-shirt to the person who runs the hall that let me host it there. I had some sponsors for the tournament, ShowTime Comedy, Mugs and Meeples, and Max Aggression Gaming. These are local small businesses. There was a raffle mystery prize which was some Star Wars Lego. Over all for $20 people left with more then $20 value. I see it as a first step to having more successful board game nights. People want more events like this in the summer. 

I think 10 people would have showed up if not for the storm. But I had to postpone it or else no one would show and I would be putting peoples lives at risk. 

Players didnt care about my new rules, or the timers. They just played some classic risk. And it was just 1 game that lasted about 2 hrs. We started late to hopefully wait for more people. 

Some guy heard about my event and was on a road trip across Canada. He said he wanted to play so we held it back for him... he came and bought some weed from another player, (not me) and left. I held up the game for him and he didnt even stay. Screw him. Understandably he and his friends were tired but lesson learned don't hold a game for someone else. 

11. #31 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Hey - this is all awesome! Nicely done!

Storms are the worst - I've certainly been part of things that took months of planning and then some random storm threw it all into chaos.

Also sucks about the one guy that took advantage of you - one idiot can always ruin things --

It takes time to establish things like this - congrats on taking the effort - hopefully you'll keep going!

12. #32 / 32
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Racoon for reporting back, glad y'all had some fun despite the setbacks!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)