181 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 24
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I have multiple ids (Thingol1, Thingol2) that I've created on the site, exclusively to use for testing of new designs, so I've only had occasion to use the additional ids in private testing games.

The question I have is: would it be frowned upon to enter open team games or tourney team games using my multiple ids (ie - 3v3 team game, entering my 3 ids as one of the teams)?

2. #2 / 24
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm pretty sure this would be frowned upon.  One reason that quickly comes to mind is that you would enjoy the advantage of being able to "communicate" with yourself(s) in a fashion that would far exceed the capability of even the most communicative of partnerships. 

Edited Wed 8th Aug 13:09 [history]

3. #3 / 24
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 on M57's comment.

A team game is supposed to actually have a team dynamic. Just one person shouldn't be allowed.

4. #4 / 24
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Going strictly by the rules, Tom can ban you for that, better keep it for private games only.

5. #5 / 24
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think it'd be fun to have a team game where one player plays the entire side of his team.  IMO - if everyone is doing it, it should be fine.  Technically against the rules, and you could be banned by Tom though.

6. #6 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I think it'd be fun to have a team game where one player plays the entire side of his team.  IMO - if everyone is doing it, it should be fine.  Technically against the rules, and you could be banned by Tom though.

As a private game where nothing counts - and with all parties in agreement - no harm - no foul.

7. #7 / 24
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

That's actually an idea, if it's possible to implement. Not play with multiple idents but with multiple colours. Like having a 2-man with four or six colours, two or three each. Would negate much of the first mover advantage on several boards, and the "team understanding" would be the same for both.

What do you say, designers, is this possible?

8. #8 / 24
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Only by doing what Thingol suggested. No implementation for that with one username.

9. #9 / 24
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the answer, I thought that might be the case.

10. #10 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

That's actually an idea, if it's possible to implement. Not play with multiple idents but with multiple colours. Like having a 2-man with four or six colours, two or three each. Would negate much of the first mover advantage on several boards, and the "team understanding" would be the same for both.

Pretty sure it's not possible - otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have used it for some nefarious factory related purposes ;)

11. #11 / 24
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Pretty sure it's not possible - otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have used it for some nefarious factory related purposes ;)

Yeah, if possible it would already be here. Logical.

Another thing I wondered about - have anyone designed a more fair starting order in team games? For two teams I've only come across A B A B A B etc or completely random. Is there any reason we don't see A B B A / B A A B? That way both teams go first half the time.

Edited Thu 9th Aug 09:44 [history]

12. #12 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Another thing I wondered about - have anyone designed a more fair starting order in team games? For two teams I've only come across A B A B A B etc or completely random. Is there any reason we don't see A B B A / B A A B? That way both teams go first half the time.

I doubt it, but it may be possible in that the Designer (with a capital letter means the interface) lets the designer "lock" seats.  I've never played with that feature but I can tell you that when you get into those areas of the Designer, the unexpected happens quite often, and you end up spending a bit of time tweaking related settings until things work, which is why I say it "may" be possible.

The best way I know of to equalize the start is to create a progressive first round bonus army allocation, and though I have to admit that I haven't given much thought to how it affects team games, I've pretty much assumed that what works for the standard game should work adequately for teams.  Not to toot my horn too loud, but I put a lot of thought into this aspect of my boards (for non-team games) and statistically speaking my maps tend to be more fair with respect to seat placement than most boards.

Edited Thu 9th Aug 10:24 [history]

13. #13 / 24
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

As you say M, the seats can be locked. I've implemented an ABBA turn order for team games using that. I don't think I'm the only designer to do so.

14. #14 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

As you say M, the seats can be locked. I've implemented an ABBA turn order for team games using that. I don't think I'm the only designer to do so.

So there ya go.. It is not only possible - It has already been implemented on existing boards.

Quick question: Can I assume every variety of team game would necessarily need a dedicated scenario??

2v2, 2v2v2, 2v2v2v2, 3v3, 3v3v3, etc..

15. #15 / 24
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That’s a good question. And I believe the answer is yes.

16. #16 / 24
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think I've seen ABBA come up before also. I don't think ABBA BAAB would be possible though. Whatever the order is will stay put the whole game.

17. #17 / 24
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

ABBA ABBA ABBA should be quite fair. Unless you don't like disco music.

18. #18 / 24
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

I think I've seen ABBA come up before also. I don't think ABBA BAAB would be possible though. Whatever the order is will stay put the whole game.

That's correct. It would have to stay ABBA each turn.

Nothing wrong with ABBA - us guys aren't supposed to admit to liking the group though, right?

19. #19 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Makes a certain amount of sense for a first round I suppose, but who wants to play in a game where teammates play consecutively for the entire game?

20. #20 / 24
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not sure why playing consecutively is a bad thing if it's the same for both sides? Is there a mental block there?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)