213 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member DeBisschop
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

What are the values of the cards? Specific for "world war" and "World warfare"?

Is there also a different between:

1. Three of the same tanks
    2. Three of the same plans
    3. three of the same etc.
    4. three of different kinds

2. #2 / 16
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

The "Help" tab has answers  to a lot of  our basic questions.

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=general:help:cards

I hope it answers your questions, only scenario you left out was 2 of anything and a "wild card".

3. #3 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Every board does cards a little different as far as how much they are worth when turned in. There is never any difference though on whether you turn in 3 tanks, 3 planes, etc. It is a good idea to keep an eye on the value of card sets and it can be found in multiple places.

These first two are good because they are updated based on what has been turned in so far in the game and show you what is coming next:

This is from the home screen of a game

This is from the top left of the screen of a game in progress

Then there a couple of places that you can see the card values from the beginning, but the pattern can change further out so these have limited use

This is from the rules screen accessed in-game

Then this is from the board's screen on the Boards tab

Hope that helps -

4. #4 / 16
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

DeBisschop wrote:

Not on this site. I used to play risk that way when I was a kid, though.

5. #5 / 16
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think what he is trying to say is: 

1. AAA
    2. BBB
    3. CCC
    4. ABC

and hootz was adding:
    5. XXW (where X can be any A,B or C)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 16
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:
    DeBisschop wrote:

Yeah, the traditional board game has 4 for three cannons, 6 for three infantry, 8 for three cavalry and 10 for one of each. Plus all cards except wilds has a territory on them and you get 2 on that territory if you trade in a card while you're owning it. I guess our friend has played that one :) 

Edited Tue 15th May 16:59 [history]

7. #7 / 16
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh, i guess i didn't play that turn-ins were value dependent on image. we played that it was value dependent on # of trade-ins (plus the extra for owning the pictured territory). the difference between house rules was if the trade-in value kept incrementing or cycled. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This was one of the basic rules of Risk. So...are we really playing Risk?

9. #9 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    Korrun wrote:
    DeBisschop wrote:

Yeah, the traditional board game has 4 for three cannons, 6 for three infantry, 8 for three cavalry and 10 for one of each. Plus all cards except wilds has a territory on them and you get 2 on that territory if you trade in a card while you're owning it. I guess our friend has played that one :) 

Not the traditional board game I played.  Yes to the +2 on the territory if they matched, but not for the different types.

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/risk.pdf

10. #10 / 16
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Litotes wrote:
    Korrun wrote:
    DeBisschop wrote:

Not the traditional board game I played.  Yes to the +2 on the territory if they matched, but not for the different types.

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/risk.pdf

Interesting. As is fast becoming apparent, I am no expert on variations of the board game, I've only played the one, which I thought was standard but for all I know might be a Norwegian specialty. Interesting to see yours. I was a bit surprised first time I downloaded a risk game for PC (offline, with computer opponents playing so lousy it was basically impossible to lose) and noticed the escalating card values. At least the PC game made sure I'd seen escalating card values before registering here.

Edited Wed 16th May 02:55 [history]

11. #11 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon - very nice post.  Very helpful. 

I've read that the various versions over time and space have had different rules for cards.  This FAQ covers some of that info:
    https://www.kent.ac.uk/smsas/personal/odl/riskfaq.htm#2.5

12. #12 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Good links by both of you:

territories are on the cards

I had forgotten about the additional 2 armies per owned territories on the cards themselves.

13. #13 / 16
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I originally learned with the trade in values being based on the card type. I also sometimes played that you could use a card to artillery attack the territory on the picture, but I'm pretty sure that last one was a house rule. Can't remember if I did the +2 armies or not...

14. #14 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is somewhat OT.. but a while back I thought of a way that the cards here on WarGear could be used to leverage factories. It could do most everything you guys are talking about, and if fully implemented, way way more.. A designer could ostensibly use the site to create a game more reminiscent of a card game than a game of Risk.

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:proposed:card_membership

Edited Thu 17th May 19:21 [history]

15. #15 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And how would the factories differentiate the cards? Unless Tom coded such an effect, the current factory system could not do this?

16. #16 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

And how would the factories differentiate the cards? Unless Tom coded such an effect, the current factory system could not do this?

The current factory system works by having 'factories' and 'members.'  Members are the territories you need to own in order to get an associated bonus, which is then placed on the factory territory.  Functionally the continental bonuses you receive in traditional WGWF are factories. The difference is that those units are not allocated to a specific territory. Rather, you receive them 'in hand' for placement.

In the proposed system, cards would simply be additional 'members.'  Come to think of it, they already are, functionally speaking.  When you cash your cards, units are allocated for 'placement.'

Designers would have to create their own cards (much like they already are allowed to do). They would then create member groups (much like they currently do for creating continents).  Just like designers work with normal factories, cards would be allowed to be 'members' in a number of different groups.  This allows you to have cards that are members of continents that also have territories.  So for instance, if you have card O (member 1) and you own Ontario (member 2), 5 units are placed on Ontario (factory) when you cash the card. Obviously, there would have to be a special rules section in the Designer that allows players to cash single cards (or not).

I'm not saying that it wouldn't take a lot of work, but the factory infrastructure is already coded.

Edited Fri 18th May 06:42 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)