204 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 21
    Standard Member zdisabled_8a7ed3fe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

For the entirely vain reason of enabling better rank opportunities for active players, I propose moving ranks of inactive players off the leaderboard.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Antastic%21/Rankings for example

Only 4 players in the top 20 have played in the last year (and soon it will only be three).

Already, player profiles have have been changed to only show boots in the last 30 days, as opposed to prejudicially showing all the boots they may have acquired over all the years they've had an account.

I would like to see the board rankings changed to only show active players, and place rankings by players over a year old in a dormant status.  These dormant players would still retain their rankings, of course, and if they become active again then of course they would re-appear on the leaderboard.

Edited Fri 20th Apr 14:04 [history]

2. #2 / 21
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I totally agree something like this would be awesome -

3. #3 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This has been discussed before.  What happens when a player comes back after a year - and only plays one game?

4. #4 / 21
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think any public game in the last year keeps you on the board.  private games don't count.

5. #5 / 21
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

This has been discussed before.  What happens when a player comes back after a year - and only plays one game?

I think this would be easy to code.  When displaying a leaderboard, for each row: IF [Player's Last Visit > 1 Year] THEN [skip that player].

As soon as a dormant player logs in, he's back on the board.  He doesn't even have to play a game.

6. #6 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Shouldn't there then be a Hall of Fame, or an archive to see who the all-time greats were?

7. #7 / 21
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Could have an opt-in leaderboard checkbox "Include dormant ranks."  (Or "Include All Time Greats" if you prefer.)

Edited Sat 21st Apr 08:45 [history]

8. #8 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

..and when someone leaves for more than a year, and then comes back - do all of the CPs and Ranks get re-evaluated??

9. #9 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

..and when someone leaves for more than a year, and then comes back - do all of the CPs and Ranks get re-evaluated??

I assume that's the idea.  So in the case of luieuil, who is the highest CP scoring player who didn't log in for more than a year, his 333 points would be given to a whole bunch of other players (or simply disappear where noone else qualifies for them) but the gain could easily be reversed if he decided to make another appearance here.

Sounds good to me but I'm not sure how one would go about implementing it. Not the first time people have asked and I have yet to see Tom give an answer. If he has in the past maybe someone who's been here longer than me can dig that out?

10. #10 / 21
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I believe doing that will invalidate the concept of CPs. 

If inactive players are removed from the ranking, on most boards (other than the most played 10 or 15 boards), winning 2 matches will be enough to get you a CP. 

11. #11 / 21
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

"all of the CPs and Ranks get re-evaluated" every time someone in the top 10 wins or loses a game.  If a sub-top-10 player wins a big game and gets into the top 10, then all the CP below his new rank have to be redone already.  I don't see why a dormant player logging in should be any different.

Edited Sat 21st Apr 21:53 [history]

12. #12 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm just saying that some pretty big shifts can occur when a dominant player returns after a hiatus.  On the other hand, I don't know why I'm bothering - I'm not a fan of the CP system and don't follow or pay any attention to its rankings any more.

13. #13 / 21
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Back when we had the big blow-outs over the ranking system this was one of my chief criticisms of the current CP system - in that there is not a slick way to remove dormant players - 

14. #14 / 21
    Standard Member skazai
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

What about rank degradation? Every day/week/month every player's rank goes down a small percentage. Solves the problem of big shifts when a player comes back from hiatus, keeps current players on the leaderboard. Obviously has its downsides (active players who are top ranked on a lot of boards may not be able to keep up all those ranks), but it is an alternative solution. Another possibility would be ranking seasons, with everyones ranks resetting every 3/6/12 months... Don't know if that would be feasible with so many different games on this site & the length of time games can take though

15. #15 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I don't think any generally active player should be punished for inactivity on specific boards. I'm pretty sure it would be impossible for Mad Bomber to play on all boards he's got CPs on simultaneously.

16. #16 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

skazai wrote:

What about rank degradation? Every day/week/month every player's rank goes down a small percentage. Solves the problem of big shifts when a player comes back from hiatus, keeps current players on the leaderboard. Obviously has its downsides (active players who are top ranked on a lot of boards may not be able to keep up all those ranks), but it is an alternative solution. Another possibility would be ranking seasons, with everyones ranks resetting every 3/6/12 months... Don't know if that would be feasible with so many different games on this site & the length of time games can take though

This (or a similar idea) has been discussed in some depth before. For any number of reasons, including what Litotes mentioned, it just doesn't work.

17. #17 / 21
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

I don't think any generally active player should be punished for inactivity on specific boards.

As I proposed, no one is "punished" for inactivity on a certain board.  If a player has logged in during the last year, he's "active" on every board, and doesn't even have to play a game.  Even players that haven't logged in for a year still retain their ranks; there is no rank "degradation." 

The only change I'm proposing is that ranks of dormant players become invisible on leaderboards by default (with a checkbox to make them visible if desired), and CP redistributed among active players. 

If a player hasn't logged in for a year (or many years) and isn't likely to return, I don't think he cares if his account is no longer shown as a General.  But if he does log in out of the blue, *poof*, his CP are restored.

Edited Mon 23rd Apr 09:57 [history]

18. #18 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

I don't think any generally active player should be punished for inactivity on specific boards.

As I proposed, no one is "punished" for inactivity on a certain board.  If a player has logged in during the last year, he's "active" on every board, and doesn't even have to play a game.  Even players that haven't logged in for a year still retain their ranks; there is no rank "degradation." 

The only change I'm proposing is that ranks of dormant players become invisible on leaderboards by default (with a checkbox to make them visible if desired), and CP redistributed among active players. 

If a player hasn't logged in for a year (or many years) and isn't likely to return, I don't think he cares if his account is no longer shown as a General.  But if he does log in out of the blue, *poof*, his CP are restored.

Yes, I agree with your proposal if it's technically feasible. My last comment was a reply to skazai.

Edited Mon 23rd Apr 11:58 [history]

19. #19 / 21
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I like where you're going Camel. Why not have 2 seperate ranking tabs - one for active leaders and one for inactive?  That way, Tom could simply add one flag to his rankings system, for activity, and parse to each tab based on that. The flag itself, would be based on X days from playing an open game (x=365 or 60 or 180 or whatever).

20. #20 / 21
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

I like where you're going Camel. Why not have 2 seperate ranking tabs - one for active leaders and one for inactive?  That way, Tom could simply add one flag to his rankings system, for activity, and parse to each tab based on that. The flag itself, would be based on X days from playing an open game (x=365 or 60 or 180 or whatever).

Isn't it better to go by login date? berickf played his last public game 367 days ago but he's still an active member, he was in a team tournament that ended this week.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)