2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Premium Member momzilla
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/579013

In Dejeweled the first player to get all their circles off the board is the winner. On the turn that those last circles are automatically eliminated, the player has nothing to do but end their turn, which is what I did in this game. Other players congratulated me on the win.

On my next turn, the game should have placed my color in the winner's circle, and given me one point to add to it. Then I would attack the victory sign with those 2 points and my win would be secured.

However, instead it put the next player off the board into the winner's circle and she claimed the victory. I have never seen this happen in the 150 or so games I have played of Dejeweled.

The last time a game was "stolen" it was because the player had neglected to place their awarded point in the winner's circle and make the attack on the victory sign. Edward Nygma tried to streamline the game at that time and also to give the win back to the right player, but I don't believe those results happened.

This time, I didn't fail to do anything I should have done. My circles were clearly off the board first. I hope Tom or Nygma can fix this game and give me back the victory. It is hard enough to get a win in this game, without having it taken away unfairly. Thanks for your help! And sorry to be so long-winded. I try to be brief, but rarely succeed!

2. #2 / 9
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I think it's because farmdoggy eliminated your opponent. Somehow that counts as an immediate event so she didn't have to wait one round to finish like you did.

Have you played other games where player 2 eliminates player 3 after player 1 has seemingly won? I agree you should have won but I wonder if it's a bug in the site or just a bug in the board setup. 

Edited Thu 27th Jul 11:05 [history]

3. #3 / 9
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That is funny.  WW is like that mean person that jumps to the front of the line... Everyone else is left shrugging their shoulders with bitter looks on their faces!

In reality, I suppose the line is predetermined by turn order and FD just paved the way for WW to instantly have the necessary board conditions and thus qualify the win condition before MZ could qualify hers.  In essence, FD was put in a position to be King maker, and made his choice.

Interestingly, FD also satisfied your board condition by taking your marker out of the top left before your turn came around to clear the rest.  I don't know if FD didn't know what was going on at all and set you up to win, or, knew exactly what was going on and set WW up to win before you.  Or, knew how the board worked and was curious who would win in that situation?  With FD being such a possible master-mind, I'm tempted to vote for him to win ;-)  Joking~

Anyway, you satisfied the win earliest as per what is written on the side of the board and WW satisfied the win earliest as per the board conditions being met in turn order, aka the board mechanics.  FD was the instrumental factor in all this.  Make of it what you will but I doubt Tom will assign you the win unless WW graciously gives it to you because she won by mechanics, even if not by description.

I don't think EE has any power to do anything for your game nor even for future games that come to the same finale...  If a player is put in a position to choose the winner, I don't think EE can program the board to invalidate a player validating another player to win based on satisfying the win condition sooner by the underlying board mechanics.  King makers be damned.

You might be mad at FD for stealing your thunder, which will go nowhere in a realistic sense, or you might plead to WW to write Tom herself to give you the win if she feels that description should trump mechanics?  That is about your best bet from my perspective.  Make WW the Queen~maker.  If she chooses for you, be happy, against you, you have the right to have a long memory depending on how much it means to you.

4. #4 / 9
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't know much about this board, so I won't comment on that. But will make a comment from a larger perspective.

There are several boards where some aspect of the game play is not penned down in the description of board (or on the board). An argument can very easily be made that a player knew (or assumed) that aspect, and used it to his/her advantage. Unless it is a clear bug in the board design, it would be tough to make the argument to revert a move (let alone a game completion) based on that. The best that can be done is to request the board maker to clarify the description/fix the issue for future use.

5. #5 / 9
    Premium Member momzilla
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

I think it's because farmdoggy eliminated your opponent. Somehow that counts as an immediate event so she didn't have to wait one round to finish like you did.

Have you played other games where player 2 eliminates player 3 after player 1 has seemingly won? I agree you should have won but I wonder if it's a bug in the site or just a bug in the board setup. 

Yes, I'm sure that's what happened, but I don't think FD intended it. I'm still waiting to hear from him. I had reminded him that I thought he owed me one as the "decider", so he eliminated my singleton, which allowed me off the board first. Why would he turn around and purposely give the game to WW after that? Either he would pay me back as he did, or he wouldn't, which would signal to me that he didn't think  he owed me one. Either way, I have never seen this happen in 150 games played. I think it's a game bug. I hope it can be fixed, but if not, there's always karma.

6. #6 / 9
    Premium Member momzilla
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:

That is funny.  WW is like that mean person that jumps to the front of the line... Everyone else is left shrugging their shoulders with bitter looks on their faces!

In reality, I suppose the line is predetermined by turn order and FD just paved the way for WW to instantly have the necessary board conditions and thus qualify the win condition before MZ could qualify hers.  In essence, FD was put in a position to be King maker, and made his choice.

Interestingly, FD also satisfied your board condition by taking your marker out of the top left before your turn came around to clear the rest.  I don't know if FD didn't know what was going on at all and set you up to win, or, knew exactly what was going on and set WW up to win before you.  Or, knew how the board worked and was curious who would win in that situation?  With FD being such a possible master-mind, I'm tempted to vote for him to win ;-)  Joking~

Anyway, you satisfied the win earliest as per what is written on the side of the board and WW satisfied the win earliest as per the board conditions being met in turn order, aka the board mechanics.  FD was the instrumental factor in all this.  Make of it what you will but I doubt Tom will assign you the win unless WW graciously gives it to you because she won by mechanics, even if not by description.

I don't think EE has any power to do anything for your game nor even for future games that come to the same finale...  If a player is put in a position to choose the winner, I don't think EE can program the board to invalidate a player validating another player to win based on satisfying the win condition sooner by the underlying board mechanics.  King makers be damned.

You might be mad at FD for stealing your thunder, which will go nowhere in a realistic sense, or you might plead to WW to write Tom herself to give you the win if she feels that description should trump mechanics?  That is about your best bet from my perspective.  Make WW the Queen~maker.  If she chooses for you, be happy, against you, you have the right to have a long memory depending on how much it means to you.

All your insights are right on, I think. I don't think FD gave the win to WW on purpose, but I haven't heard from him yet. See my comment to Litotes. I did take yr advice and make an appeal to WW. We'll see how that goes. I would not want to steal a win from someone who already had all their units off the board, but maybe this game is becoming more cutthroat, and I should toughen up.

7. #7 / 9
    Premium Member momzilla
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

I don't know much about this board, so I won't comment on that. But will make a comment from a larger perspective.

There are several boards where some aspect of the game play is not penned down in the description of board (or on the board). An argument can very easily be made that a player knew (or assumed) that aspect, and used it to his/her advantage. Unless it is a clear bug in the board design, it would be tough to make the argument to revert a move (let alone a game completion) based on that. The best that can be done is to request the board maker to clarify the description/fix the issue for future use.

Yeah, the board maker already spent a lot of time awhile back trying to streamline play on this board, but wasn't really able to do it. I just think it is unusual that this particular problem has never occurred in the almost 150 games of Dejeweled I've played.

8. #8 / 9
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

momzilla wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that's what happened, but I don't think FD intended it. I'm still waiting to hear from him. I had reminded him that I thought he owed me one as the "decider", so he eliminated my singleton, which allowed me off the board first. Why would he turn around and purposely give the game to WW after that? Either he would pay me back as he did, or he wouldn't, which would signal to me that he didn't think  he owed me one. Either way, I have never seen this happen in 150 games played. I think it's a game bug. I hope it can be fixed, but if not, there's always karma.

I doubt he intended to do it too, probably just felt it was something to do while waiting for the game to finish. At least we've learned such a thing is possible, so unless we get a fix for the board 3rd players should be aware and avoid this sort of thing (unless they for some reason want to change the winner).

9. #9 / 9
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

When you eliminate yourself you set up the conditons in terms of the factory scheme to get into the Victory Circle but since factories only trigger at the start of the turn, you have to wait for your next turn.

When an opponent does it, he sets up those conditions for you before your turn and when your turn comes you get into the Victory Circle. Since WW turn came before momzilla's, she entered the Victory Circle first. It has nothing to do with immediate events, factories do not react to immediate events, though the design community would like to have those type of factories at their disposal. Having real-time factories would make it very easy for Nygma to fix the board. As it is, I don't know if it can be fixed, would have to think about it, never played this board.

Edited Fri 28th Jul 15:18 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)