1. #61 / 87
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

redshift wrote:
    Johasi Vidad wrote:
    redshift wrote:

Table layout is now identical to WarGear.

Just remembered that only tournaments with 2 and 3 day turn limits should be eligible. 7 day is self-explanatory and I've seen turn skipping happening rather often with 1 day limit, specially team games.

Just going back to this. To maybe consider for season two.

I understand leaving out 7's as they're unlikely to finish in one season and are very few and far between. 

But the 1 days I don't get. I used to play a lot of these, but not very many any more.

I wouldn't have seen often turn skipping as a factor to leave them out of the count and would have been bummed they didn't count.

And kinda would like an explanation of why that's a valid reason to consider leaving them out?

It also slightly discourages their creation given they wouldn't count here and the players that play more 1 days will not have any vested interest in the Championship.

If you read the rules on the site you'll see 1 day is allowed for 1v1. You used to play 1 day team tournaments? I think that leads to rushed turns with little time for the team to discuss the turn.

I would actually be happy if I contributed to discourage those tournaments.

Ah sorry about that. I was reviewing what all you put here and didn't realize that.

I can slightly better see your reasoning behind 1 day team tourneys, but I don't know if that's a good reason to keep them out.

In a 1 day turn game you can post every time you take your turn and have plenty of strat and if you don't that's your loss. It's just a shorter time frame.

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

2. #62 / 87
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

S1 World Tour Finals tournament link if you want to follow the tournament http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2434 (also accessible from my website).

For the 2nd Season, I'm making the following changes, which includes recommendations from Pratik and JV:

- 1st place points is now GSavg/10 + 10W, where W is the number of wins instead of number of rounds

- Each lower place is now 10W plus 60% of GSavg/10 instead of 50% of the whole thing

- Winner's bonus is now 20% of GSavg/10 instead of a fixed number which was 100

- Number of slots increased to 12+1 instead of 10+1, due to tournaments which started before the end of S1 carrying over

- Number of different boards played increased from 5 to 7 as requirement to fill all slots

Feel free to discuss the modifications. I also thought about including tournaments with more than 2 players or teams per game, but that will give me much more work; would have to implement something similar to H rating because winning a game against more players on the board is harder.

3. #63 / 87
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Sounds good to me.

Is it any easy way to recalculate season 1 under season 2 rules to see differences in the points? Apart from the more tournaments bit. Was just curious if winning percentage/winner bonus would have changed things significantly. If it's much work then don't worry about it.

4. #64 / 87
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So, only tournament end date counts now?

5. #65 / 87
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Well done Litotes in topping the thing.

I was at the top for almost the entire season, but you took over at the end (not sure exactly how close to the end, probably the last month)

6. #66 / 87
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

Well done Litotes in topping the thing.

I was at the top for almost the entire season, but you took over at the end (not sure exactly how close to the end, probably the last month)

Thank you :)

I had the most valuable wins, in terms of points, seven over 700 to your five, so it was a matter of getting to the same amount of wins as you, which took me quite a while longer but I got there in the end. If we had kept the original deadline you'd have finished on top with Babbalouie in 2nd and me in 3rd.

7. #67 / 87
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I like the changes and thanks for asking taking input and for all the worj youre putting in this. Awesome to see the first season finished. And yes it's perfectly fine to slowly integrate other elements such as team games as you are doing a lot of work 

And congrats to you two on the impressive numbers and wins you both and Babs put up this season

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group
    Edited Wed 4th Jul 15:23 [history]

8. #68 / 87
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Is it any easy way to recalculate season 1 under season 2 rules to see differences in the points? Apart from the more tournaments bit. Was just curious if winning percentage/winner bonus would have changed things significantly. If it's much work then don't worry about it.

I can do that but since the GS of the players change over time and that's part of the equation, the new numbers will not be only due to the new rules. You mean, only use the new equation but maintain the 10 slots and 5 different boards, right?

Pratik wrote:

So, only tournament end date counts now?

Yes. The tournaments page for the 2nd Season is now available, just need to update the player pages and create the new leaderboard.

http://wgchampion.x10host.com/championship/s2-tournaments

9. #69 / 87
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

redshift wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I can do that but since the GS of the players change over time and that's part of the equation, the new numbers will not be only due to the new rules. You mean, only use the new equation but maintain the 10 slots and 5 different boards, right?

Yeah, I meant with same GRs as originally used. I was curious about the impact the changes to winning points would make, both bonus and using game winning percentage so W11 L0 is better than W10 L1. 

For playing on different boards, I didn't realize my 10 countables for this season was in fact on 10 different boards. I'm not going for a repetition of that in season two but some different ones I'm sure I'll manage.

Edited Thu 5th Jul 01:01 [history]

10. #70 / 87
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The website has been fully updated now. The Season 2 leaderboard can be found here http://wgchampion.x10host.com/rankings/championship/s2-rankings .

I might increase the number of slots depending on how the players progress.

@Litotes Do you still want me to simulate the S1 rankings with the new formula?

11. #71 / 87
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

If it's easy to do, yes, if not, no. 

Babbalouie off to an impressive start, 9 finished tournaments when noone else has more than 4.

12. #72 / 87
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Babbalouie off to an impressive start, 9 finished tournaments when noone else has more than 4.

Well look at his last total played tourneys in season 1 compared to everyone else

13. #73 / 87
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Well look at his last total played tourneys in season 1 compared to everyone else

Yeah, business as usual :) He's the most active tournament player for sure. 

14. #74 / 87
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Season 1 has finally ended with Mad Bomber winning the World Tour Finals with a 8-1 W/L.

Congratulations to Litotes on winning the Championship. Here's your trophy:

wgc_trophy_s1_trans.png

Check http://wgchampion.x10host.com/ for the news and http://wgchampion.x10host.com/rankings/championship/s1-rankings for the final rankings.

Edited Mon 19th Nov 17:53 [history]

15. #75 / 87
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Congrats Mad Bomber and Litotes!

Can I get a #22 trophy?

Edited Mon 19th Nov 23:43 [history]

16. #76 / 87
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thank you for the organization and the great trophy redshift :)

And thanks Korrun :)

17. #77 / 87
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Well done Litotes!

Nice work so far redshift keep it up :)

18. #78 / 87
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Alright, time to propose more tweaks to the ranking system:

- GSavg  is extremely unrepresentative of the GS in a tournament. A median or a trimmed mean would be much more accurate a representation of what is intended here.

-The WTF is worth a ridiculously large number of points (I've raised this point before, but never realized how heavily it is weighted).  Let's take some examples:

• winning this 20man RR - http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2372 with a 19-0 record would give a max of about 850 points by my calculation. That's pretty much the peak possible among all tournaments. Whereas winning the 10man WTF undefeated would have given about 1400 points, I believe. That's too huge a difference.
    • Coming third in the WTF gave Johasi and weatertop 750 points. To put that into perspective, only 4 tournament winners (by my count) in season 1 got more than for a tournament win. (and that too more only by 15 points or so). Chele got 875 for coming second in WTF. Which is 100 more than any tournament winner outside WTF. 
    • Most importantly, if I've taken the correct rankings, according to S1 scoring, if the WTF was a regular tournament with the same players, the winner would have received just above 700 points, as apposed to the current 1200. Again too huge a difference.

More to follow.

19. #79 / 87
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh hell, i didn't even know i was in the running! oh well, not that it would likely have changed things. 

congrats to all those that played, more so to those that won, even more so to redshift for doing the grunt work!! 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #80 / 87
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Congrats Mad Bomber and Litotes!

Can I get a #22 trophy?

pocket-deuces-22-hand-poker-eng-696x365.jpg

If you can turn in those chips, you're golden! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Pratik wrote:

Alright, time to propose more tweaks to the ranking system:

- GSavg  is extremely unrepresentative of the GS in a tournament. A median or a trimmed mean would be much more accurate a representation of what is intended here.

-The WTF is worth a ridiculously large number of points (I've raised this point before, but never realized how heavily it is weighted).  Let's take some examples:

• winning this 20man RR - http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2372 with a 19-0 record would give a max of about 850 points by my calculation. That's pretty much the peak possible among all tournaments. Whereas winning the 10man WTF undefeated would have given about 1400 points, I believe. That's too huge a difference.
    • Coming third in the WTF gave Johasi and weatertop 750 points. To put that into perspective, only 4 tournament winners (by my count) in season 1 got more than for a tournament win. (and that too more only by 15 points or so). Chele got 875 for coming second in WTF. Which is 100 more than any tournament winner outside WTF. 
    • Most importantly, if I've taken the correct rankings, according to S1 scoring, if the WTF was a regular tournament with the same players, the winner would have received just above 700 points, as apposed to the current 1200. Again too huge a difference.

1. Can you explain why? It's not obvious to me.

2. There's supposed to be a premium for playing against the best players of the season. You and some others declining to play devalued this a bit. Unilkely to have a perfect score over 9 rounds against a strong field. At that stage, though, it's not the absolute number that matters, but how many points you can get over the competition, namely over the pre-WTF #1 if that's what you're chasing. Nevertheless, I might lower the numbers to 100 per win and 150 for the winner if the other players agree.

Edited Wed 21st Nov 14:14 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)