1. #1 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Cube films gave me the idea to design this map:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/7068

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/7068

So, ok, it's not really a square, it's a rectangle since it maximizes screen area without having to scroll to get to the bottom of the map (in the widely used 16:9, ofc).

The base board consists of a matrix of square rooms separated by doors at their edges. AutoNeutralReset factories are used to reset the doors back to Neutral with 4 units at the start of each player's turn - a hidden territory with 0 units (Revert to Neutral: Never) assigned to each player accomplishes this perfectly.

Regarding player assignment, I've added 12 door control rooms since I set the max on the board to 12, but if a player chooses a color associated to a seat higher than 12, does he get a seat on one of these rooms or the number of colors available must match the number of control rooms?

The fundamental question here is if, once the game starts, the choosen colors are reassigned to 1-N (number of players) - according to seat order for example - or if the color/seat association we see in the designer is fixed? I've created a game to test this but still waiting for a friend to join.

To be more faithful to the film, each player starts with only one room on the playboard in a conditioned randomization between 12 rooms. For this reason, this board is to be played with 5, 7-12 players (the 2 that is activated atm is only for quick testing).

Medium fog as default but not enforced. Can be played with teams.

At the moment I have 3 scenarios in mind:

- deathmatch with Hordes! like positive bonus - owning all rooms around a given room gives a positive bonus equal to the number of rooms divided by 2 (rounded up);

- deathmatch with Hordes! like negative bonus - owning all rooms around a given room gives a negative bonus equal to the number of rooms divided by 2 (rounded up);

- escape - the objective is to find a way out of the playing board

For the last one, nothing is defined yet but it will involve a complex scheme of factories that will make it difficult to figure out the way out (will have to figure a way of this having replay value). There will also be traps and funky events not necessarilly associated to the steps that must be taken to get to the exit. Will need to rewatch the trilogy to solidify some ideas (actually never seen the 3rd one).

Is there a map already like this?

Feel free to suggest new ideas and adjustments to the rules, setup, matrix size, etc. I know it's still rough on the aesthetic side, would welcome suggestions on this since it's not my forte, but the fog map will probably be an image of one of the films with the size of the board.

Edited Thu 9th Feb 20:46 [history]

2. #2 / 22
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It doesn't appear as if any of the factories have assigned members - or is you link just to the main board and you have scenarios with the requisite assignations?

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

3. #3 / 22
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think what you need to look at is the 'lock starting bonus and cards to color or seat position'.  And you want to make sure it's set to seat position.  But I kind of skimmed your post.

4. #4 / 22
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

It doesn't appear as if any of the factories have assigned members - or is you link just to the main board and you have scenarios with the requisite assignations?

I think the members are the off board territories?

5. #5 / 22
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i like the idea of negative hordes, not been done before (that i know of).

neutral 4s to break thru and then neutral 3s to get anywhere? sounds tough...hugely tough

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 22
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How does the game end?  Don't the off-board territories count as players' holdings?

Edited Fri 10th Feb 11:25 [history]

7. #7 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I have uploaded the sandbox so you can see the hidden territories.

The test game I created already began and I got a seat in one of the control rooms even though my color was associated to seat 16 in the designer and in the setup of the designer I only assigned rooms to the first 12 seats/colors.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/558009

In the designer, the color I chose was associated to seat 16 but I got placed on the room assigned to seat 6. Pratik was placed in room 10 and his color was associated to seat 6. I was placed first, btw.

The rest of the control rooms were assigned to Neutral. Let me check what happened in a previous game I've done.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/558009

In this one I was placed on room 3 with the 4th colors list in the designer and Portland was placed on room 9 with the 5th color.

Don't know if this is enough to conclude players allways get a seat in one of the 12 rooms.

On another note, does anyone know the formulas that assign neutrals on the free territories for the various levels of "Neutral Count" (Low, Medium and High).

I can just stick to 7-12 players. I'm guessing 6 players gives 2 rooms to each player even with the option set to High? How about 5 players, is it allways 2 to neutral and 2 to players or is it 1 to players and 7 to neutral?

@Ozy I do have that option set to Seat but not sure it has anything to do with this issue.

@M57 The game does not end yet. In the deatmatch scenarios, it will end once all the playboard rooms are occupied by a single player or team (triggering autocapture factories on the control rooms). Does Team Factories mean occupation of the member set can be shared by any combination of teammates to trigger a factory? In the escape scenario, it will also be done with autocapture factories but I don't know yet how it will be achieved.

@weathertop I guess the early game will evolve slowly but it seems fine to me later on. I'm giving 6 starting bonus to all players. Should I give more? In following turns, min is 3 and bonus from terrs is 2*(N/5). Units from card trade starts at 4 with 0.25 increments.

I guess playing a few real games will be needed to balance these details.

Edited Fri 10th Feb 13:23 [history]

8. #8 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

After perusing history logs of Quantum Entanglement and of my board I learned that having a starting bonus different from default prevents the factories from triggering in the 1st turn of the players that do have a non-default starting bonus.

Guess I'll have to leave starting bonus at default. A scheme of factories might be able to do the job of increasing units available in the 1st turn, no? Will have to think about it.

9. #9 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

After perusing history logs of Quantum Entanglement and of my board I learned that having a starting bonus different from default prevents the factories from triggering in the 1st turn of the players that do have a non-default starting bonus.

Guess I'll have to leave starting bonus at default. A scheme of factories might be able to do the job of increasing units available in the 1st turn, no? Will have to think about it.

10. #10 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

11. #11 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Triple post. Top that! Smile

12. #12 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Ok, made starting bonus scheme.

Another row of 12 rooms assigned to each player like in the door control row. Each room is a single member of a standard continent and of a self AutoNeutral factory.

It works because standard continent bonus takes precedence over Neutral/Capture. So for each player, the room will add part of the starting bonus (the other part is from min bonus) and deactivate itself by going neutral.

Here, I set the continent bonus to 4 to have a starting bonus of 7 (4+3):

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/558270

Should I post this starting bonus scheme here?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:factories:advanced

Btw, I've added an answer in this proving grounds example http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=proving_grounds:proving_grounds:universal_vs_autocapture_hierarchy

Is it ok to do so?

13. #13 / 22
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't quite follow what you are saying (not because of you, because of me), but please feel free to edit the wiki vigorously.   Someone can always revert, move, or correct if needed.

14. #14 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I don't quite follow what you are saying (not because of you, because of me), but please feel free to edit the wiki vigorously.   Someone can always revert, move, or correct if needed.

About my board or about the Answer I put in that wiki page?

On another topic, does the Native Player have a filesize limit on the maps?

I've uploaded this fog image in png (1.15MB) and it shows in the Flash Player but not in the Native Player.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/558674

Update: I have now uploaded the image in jpeg at only 157KB and the problem persists.

Edited Sun 12th Feb 00:42 [history]

15. #15 / 22
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The file size limit for images was in the 5.0MB range as I last recall.  Maybe even larger now.  Always prefer to use png.

16. #16 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

The file size limit for images was in the 5.0MB range as I last recall.  Maybe even larger now.  Always prefer to use png.

Any ideas for why it is not showing in the Native Player?

17. #17 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I tried another fogmap and it's working in the Native as well now.

Think I'm ready to proceed to the scenarios. Smile

18. #18 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Actualy, no, it does not show the fog map. It's just that now I'm using a semi-transparent filling for the territories in the Board image which is equal to the Fog map.

I guess that's just how the Native player works.

19. #19 / 22
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Report on the state of things:

Can you access everything with link? http://www.wargear.net/boards/scenarios?boardid=7072

For da Horde! and For the Alliance! scenarios are "fully" implemented. Surrounding a room gives a bonus to the surrounded one: 1 for room in the corner, 2 for room in the edge and 3 for the others (subject to change). The only difference between the 2 scenarios is that Horde gives negative bonus and Alliance gives positive bonus.

Just started playing a For da Horde! team game with friends, it's on medium fog so you can't see much, but you can easily access the scenario info page.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/559118

I can start more games to play with you since you're more knowledgeable to give balance tips or suggestions to add more stuff.

Atm, some of the rules are the following:

- 2 fortifies of the connected type with fortify after attack ON;

- 1 reserve for each 2 territories owned (min=4)

- players start in a single room (randomly choosen from 12 vacancies)  with 3 units and 8 reserves

- units per card set trade = 4 with 0.25 increment

- doors carry a max of 20 units

- abandonment On without reverting to Neutral

- team unit placement OFF, team unit transfer ON

Regarding the Deadly Escape scenario, haven't implemented much yet. Added exit doors at the edges (1 in each room) with 499 units each. Now, need to implement factories that will bring that number down when certain rooms are occupied, with timers so that it is not obvious what triggered what. Also add multiple traps and other type of events with factories and so on.

20. #20 / 22
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sounds fun. You can invite me to a test game if you'd like.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)