205 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I know the dice slightly favor the attacker, but where is the tipping point? The spot where you and the other guy build and build but you should just attack him because the dice will win.

I'm in a crab game just now on hawaiian islands, and all three of us have around 150 units. Is this the time to attack?  I mean if I attack 150 of another players units with my 150 units, will I have 10 or 11 left with which to occupy the territories?

Which number of units would make it statistically reasonable to attack both players, and count on the attacker advantage for a win? 3 units? 10 units? 100? 1000?

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

2. #2 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You've reached the dreaded 3-player finale where each is too strong to take out without (a) pissing someone off royally or (b) taking so many units to kill one that you leave yourself too weak to compete with the remaining player.  Best to all agree on a vote to term.

Edited Thu 19th Jan 01:47 [history]

3. #3 / 16
    Premium Member Slander
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've always found this to be a great simulator when trying to answer such questions:

http://prestopnik.com/wargear/

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

4. #4 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Given equal numbers, I have it in the back of my mind that 9v9 is the tipping point.  Any less and defender has a better than even chance of surviving an attack.. Slander's post pointing (Ozyman's?) calculator is a great way to solve the problem.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

5. #5 / 16
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

.85 loss per army is to be expected..... 150 x 6/7 is....but Hawaiian islands has a few dice mods?

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

6. #6 / 16
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

...is about 22 units left, which should be about right. 

It's got a pair of 6v7 borders but a max of 7 units on those. (which can totally be used to great effect)

I've definately crunched a thousand numbers with that calculator. :)

I guess where I fall down is when do the numbers become statistically significant? I've lost enough 7 units attack 3 unit battles to know that's not quite a guarantee.  

But thinking about it, 9 v 9 as M57 suggests - that would be 4 rolls that would have to be sour in order to make it an abysmal loss (which I think I might be quite surprised at the 4th one. - so that makes sense to me.)

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

7. #7 / 16
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just pumping #'s through ozy's server, I've kinda landed on this:

(using stats from 1000 simulations) - I'm gonna need to start attacking when I've got about 300 units, and they have about 300 units so that I can get a guy on all 42 territories - just based on the slight attacker advantage. 

Yikes. That's gonna be forever...

8. #8 / 16
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I did some investigation on this topic. As mentioned above you need .85 units for each of you ropponents units on average. Another way to put it is that with .85 x defending units gives you a 50 % chance to win. A multiplier of 1.0 gives a 70% chance and a multiplier of 1.25 gives a 90% chance. So I will usually estimate the % chance of winning a battle and then decide to attack. For example, when considering a 'take out' I usually wait until I have a 70% chance of winning. Not sure if this helps..

9. #9 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Lol, SG (and all), the numbers are great, but what is the translation to what should actually be done?  I think it's an unwinnable situation. As ratsy says, it's gonna be...forever.

10. #10 / 16
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes, agreed

11. #11 / 16
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The only thing i could think of for a situation like that is to attack each opponent equally to keep numerical equality but have each players total be much lower. Then if there are cards to be turned in you could have enough to defeat both. So if the next set of cards is worth 50, then 300 v 300 v 300 is a stalemate, but 50 v 50 v 50 gives you a chance. Depends on how your opponents react to the tactic

12. #12 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I prefer to terminate in those situations, but occasionally I have had luck with a mutually assured destruction pact.   For example in a crab game where we all have 150 units, everyone attack with 50 units the next turn.  A attacks B, B attacks C, C attacks A.   Or each attacks each person with 25 units each.

Each person would lose ~50 attacking, and ~60 being attacked.  So at the end, you're all down to about 40 units, and the game is more destable.

13. #13 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yes, that's an alternative if everyone agrees to it. Hadn't thought of that. {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote: The only thing i could think of for a situation like that is to attack each opponent equally to keep numerical equality but have each players total be much lower. Then if there are cards to be turned in you could have enough to defeat both. So if the next set of cards is worth 50, then 300 v 300 v 300 is a stalemate, but 50 v 50 v 50 gives you a chance. Depends on how your opponents react to the tactic

I've nuked this particular game two times now (attacked both players will all I had), as we've all hit the 100 unit mark before, and I can get em down to about 30 units apiece (which of course devastates me).  But the cards are not too helpful. The cycle from 4-9 units. 

15. #15 / 16
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh that's the worst! I'm not generally a fan of cycling card values for this reason. Surprised the other two didn't take advantage of your attacks!

16. #16 / 16
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Wish that board(more boards) had unlimited reserves...HI allows 15?....cute....

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)