179 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #41 / 64
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Weathertop, would you like me to upload Forbidden Island to the CC or would you like to start working on it with me again?

2. #42 / 64
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Weathertop, would you like me to upload Forbidden Island to the CC or would you like to start working on it with me again?

Sorry, forgot to respond to your PM (wish i could leave them as unread so i can remember to go back to them...). Yeah i'd like to finish it up; but I'm willing to throw it up to the CC if you want. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #43 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd like to collaborate on the dueling board. Can you copy the design for that one into the account and PM me the pad?

4. #44 / 64
    Standard Member CartographersClub
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Sorry Ed. Didn't realize you had already sent that in the dev game.
    Now, is there a way to easily port a design from our own accounts into this shared account?

-Thingol

5. #45 / 64
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Export the XML from your board as Thingol.  Log in here.  Create New Board.  Import XML, Upload board images.  Write the description as a discussion.  I recommend letting people know who you'd like to be able to make changes.  You should put your own name in the title of the board.

For now, try to keep back ups of your work.  We'll see if anybody is a jerk, but it's not super likely.

-Nygma

6. #46 / 64
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I caught hell for retiring one of my boards.. I think it was Appomattox.  It was a pre-factory board that really needed to do things that, honestly, the site still doesn't support.. like forcing minimum territory counts on specific territories with global abandon ON - and most importantly, movement counts for individual units.  I've all but given up on maps that restrict movement with a a global cap on moves.  I did it with Waterloo, and I notice a lot of newer boards use it, but it's just a poor workaround in my opinion. I doubt we'll ever see these types of feature additions or similar because tom isn't making any substantial upgrades to the site these days. I don't doubt that it's not worth his time; I would hope he's pulling down some profits just maintaing it at this point.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

7. #47 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Regarding tom, I think he's put an awful lot of work, especially code-wise into making the site what it is. And the functionality we currently have is quite impressive. While things could 'always' be improved and added to, my guess is that he's more likely to make future upgrades in short spurts, when the combination of time and energy and inclination come together to spur him on. Since I suspect the site isn't making much money (possibly losing money when maintenance costs are factored in), future upgrades will be done with the main motive being pride in having a great site.

Personally, I wish the site wasn't totally free. I wish there was a minimum fee of something super cheap, but not free - say $2 or $3 per quarter-year. I don't like the fact that something which requires quite an effort can be used by others for free. (yes, I'm a progressive and I just made that statement) 😁

Edited Tue 22nd Nov 13:20 [history]

8. #48 / 64
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The site population has dwindled significantly.  There's almost no way this site is profitable in the way that is required for this to be worth the time.  This model of payment is going by the wayside in the current state of the customer-game relationship.  It's very hard to make money in games without either ruining the game, or trying to ravage the player's wallet.  I'd be curious to see if the cost dropped a bit if more people would take part in it.  If there were options for <$5 payments you could make.

In regards to this thread...  If you guys want to log in as CartographersClub, please check the forum first to make sure somebody isn't already on.  I'm pretty sure you get kicked off if you're signed in from a different location.  Feel free to PM me for the password.

9. #49 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep, sorry to go on a tangent there. Just responding to M's post. I just feel, if Tom didn't do a single further upgrade, I would still consider what he's done to be an amazing success. Of course, we hope for continued upgrades as we're greedy folks and that's not altogether bad. 😊

Good point on the CC login. I was womdering about that myself when I logged in yesterday.

10. #50 / 64
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i just posted in Gen (in Ed's retirement thread) about gathering some info on recent threads/discussions that could use some input from tom, and maybe some discussion about how we can help share the load to keep it from going the way of ToS. if you've got some specific ideas/thoughts/words/thread links i should include; please PM me.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #51 / 64
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I added up two boards that I've been sitting on for a long time. Hopefully the collaborative might breathe new life into them!

-Kjeld

12. #52 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Since I struggled majorly with the Silmarils team version, how about we try to work on that image you PM'd me on to try to come up with a team map.

13. #53 / 64
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: Since I struggled majorly with the Silmarils team version, how about we try to work on that image you PM'd me on to try to come up with a team map.

Sure. I'll work on getting an image ready to upload.

14. #54 / 64
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I added the base image to a new board, Silmarillion, if others want to chime in on how to proceed.

The best way might be to map out where we want to territories using circle mode first, and then we can adjust the graphics later for dual-layer?

15. #55 / 64
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I left some comments on the descriptions of boards.

16. #56 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

CartographersClub wrote:

I added the base image to a new board, Silmarillion, if others want to chime in on how to proceed.

The best way might be to map out where we want to territories using circle mode first, and then we can adjust the graphics later for dual-layer?

That's good. I think it would be cool to have a 'timer' outer offboard layer from where we could use factories to generate extra income for the allies say, every x many turns, to mimic the story in the book for the Battle of Unnumbered tears.

17. #57 / 64
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't know what that means, but it's doable.

18. #58 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Well, I was thinking of generating turn(time)-based income, using factories to do so. Thought the best place to do that would be an off-board turn counter.

19. #59 / 64
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i just posted in Gen (in Ed's retirement thread) about gathering some info on recent threads/discussions that could use some input from tom, and maybe some discussion about how we can help share the load to keep it from going the way of ToS. if you've got some specific ideas/thoughts/words/thread links i should include; please PM me.

I know Tom has been anti-advertisement, but how about if he added a new level of membership.  There is currently free - limited to 10 game, and premium - no limits.  How about an ad-supported version that gets you up to 15 games and the info box, but you get a banner advertisement between the board and the info box?

20. #60 / 64
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Oh snap... I kind of like that idea.  An option to play for free and still get tom his $$.  I don't mind ads if I have  a choice to pay to remove them.  I'd honestly take ads on my page just to get tom free money.  Doesn't bother me at all (assuming they are non intrusive).  Only issue is AdBlockPlus would make the site free to non paying members.

Turn based income is easy.  If you have a stack of 10 territories (for sake of example).  Start the player with 1, then make Territory Number (N) is an Autocapture to N+1.  The last territory captures the first one (if you want it to cycle - has to be abandon for this).  Then include the timer territories in the continent bonuses.  With non abandon, you can have the last territory auto neutral the whole column to reset it.  With abandon, you can just have each territory be a -1 to itself.  All timer territories max 1.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)