Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #21 / 64
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    berickf wrote:

I think Tom un-locked map making so it does not require premium?  So, a basic account should work just fine... Unless there is some other reason requiring premium?

i think it was just for one board release. 

I think I remember, back when I was standard and gifted a premium that I saved a bunch of board files for future use, but then, as I followed the forums, I think Tom changed the rules and allowed unlimited for standard... and I was like, alright, can delete all those board files now...  I could be wrong, but, I'm pretty sure he unlocked board making for standard without limits.

2. #22 / 64
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

I don't think it would take any implementation.

If anyone tries to work on a board simultaneously there will be issues.

3. #23 / 64
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:
    weathertop wrote:
    berickf wrote:

I think Tom un-locked map making so it does not require premium?  So, a basic account should work just fine... Unless there is some other reason requiring premium?

i think it was just for one board release. 

I think I remember, back when I was standard and gifted a premium that I saved a bunch of board files for future use, but then, as I followed the forums, I think Tom changed the rules and allowed unlimited for standard... and I was like, alright, can delete all those board files now...  I could be wrong, but, I'm pretty sure he unlocked board making for standard without limits.

Correct.

4. #24 / 64
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Like barickf said, as long as you maintain a backup on your own account, you can never lose data from before that point, so even the worst case scenario isn't that bad.

As far as etiquette goes, here's what I propose:

Use the description as a changelog: 10/10/16 ENygma updated borders (be as specific as you want).

Always create a new version of a board if you want to work on something, ESPECIALLY if you haven't already talked about editing it.  

Make a Google Drive:  Store XML files for added backup, wargear not rewriting the page, and commenting code.

Naming Conventions: Since we aren't releasing the maps, you can use the names to tell who should be working on it and updates in general. You can even make versions for each of you, then merge the XML documents with copy paste.  So Nygma - Continents is my version, and I copy the continents section, and paste it onto the exported Group Work, and if it works Import it to Master.

5. #25 / 64
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Korrun, I think the last part solves the issue of multiple people working on the same board.

You make your own version, then merge the sections of the XML document. Then you have 1 test map, and 1 master.  Work on a section, Export Test, Paste section, import to test, Post it in the changelog.  Maybe only the Primary Contributor should be "allowed" to update the master.

6. #26 / 64
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I believe there is always the ability to revert to a previous version, so I would be against having a thumbs up confirmation. It would delay the tinkering and experimenting that several of us like to do. I highly doubt that another designer would be going in and pranking or vandalizing a map they're not collaborating on. (responding to Ratsy's earlier post)

Edited Mon 10th Oct 19:10 [history]

7. #27 / 64
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Maybe only the Primary Contributor should be "allowed" to update the master.

That seems like it might be one layer too much - but I can't offer a different solution to the problem of simultaneous document update.  {#emotions_dlg.confused}

@Thingol:

I trust in the integrity of this community. I'm sure that 99% of the collaboration will be respectful and awesome. And I'm certain that we will find a way to have space and freedom to create.

But there's always someone out there: maybe they get their panties in a knot over the dice and decide to ruin something, maybe their just tired of a specific player, maybe they just like to be a troll.  Better to plan for the Bully then have to fight him later. 

Revert to Previous version does solve this problem However. Smile 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #28 / 64
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

If we only give the password on request, at least we'll be pretty sure who's screwing with us.  We can always change it.

9. #29 / 64
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Has Tom commented on this yet?

10. #30 / 64
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Not yet

11. #31 / 64
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Does he still moderate the site?  He hasn't even logged in for a few days.

Edited Thu 17th Nov 15:07 [history]

12. #32 / 64
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It does seem like communication from above has tapered. 

13. #33 / 64
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

It's been years, I don't really expect him every day.  I didn't mean that as hostile.  He's still head honcho though, yes?

14. #34 / 64
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, it seems like Tom's more on the when he's got time on the weekends kind of schedule these days, but he is indeed still the man who fixes the problems. 

It also seems like about once a quarter (every three months or so?) The database needs some TLC to keep it running well.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

15. #35 / 64
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

It's been years, I don't really expect him every day.  I didn't mean that as hostile.  He's still head honcho though, yes?

Yeah, I can't really complain. I know he has a real job and this is a side project.  I have no idea if it breaks even, costs him money, or makes a  small profit - but I don't think he's getting rich off of it.

I wish there was something we could do to help make WarGear more popular.  I feel like it's such a great site, but for some reason doesn't seem to have taken off.  I bring it up on reddit sometimes, and invite friends that I think might be interested.  I'm not sure what else I could do.

16. #36 / 64
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Maybe a collaborative account to get better boards made would be a draw at keeping players once they realize what is to offer?

17. #37 / 64
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

we're starting to get unwieldy with how many boards are out there. and it's just going to get worse as we add more boards (whether from individuals or from the collaborative account). 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

18. #38 / 64
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

As the number of boards increases, better sorting and searching will be necessary. Especially for newer players.

On the other hand, one of the main reasons why I stay active here is the continuous development of new boards.

19. #39 / 64
    Standard Member CartographersClub
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

So.... I got antsy.

PM me if you want the password.  I'll buy the first premium membership.  I also uploaded a "first board" for us to fool around with.

-Nygma

P.S.  Weathertop:  I plan to retire my unplayed boards.  Unless I get a special request to bring it back, I'll push a bunch into retirement.

20. #40 / 64
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

CartographersClub wrote:

P.S.  Weathertop:  I plan to retire my unplayed boards.  Unless I get a special request to bring it back, I'll push a bunch into retirement.

Please don't retire Tug of War. That's one of my favorites.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)