184 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

A comment in another thread made me think that maybe we should start some sort Sportsmanship or most pleasant player award to recognize those people who are a pleasure to compete against win or lose.  Maybe some sort of nomination and voting on the forums? Thoughts?

2. #2 / 11
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Positives:

Could get a badge, or a trophy - would be great to be recognized - lets a nice guy know

Negatives: 

could turn into a popularity contest - could be taken out of context - not really what people come here for etc - limited voting community (those that forum post and stuff)

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 11
    Premium Member Footfungus
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like it. It might encourage good behavior, and/or discourage nastiness when people are losing. It can be very frustrating to lose based on bad luck or another player's bad move. But we can still be gracious.

4. #4 / 11
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Posting that thought here on April fools day, might make some of us wonder if you're serious.... just sayin.

5. #5 / 11
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Lol, it was legit and I would like to recognize/nominate:

Ratsy

Afrodaby

Cona Chris 

for being the most consistent good sports I've seen on here in the last year.  

(Please no return recognition I know I whine about dice too much)

6. #6 / 11
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I definitely agree Ratsy and Afrodaby are really great sports, and I would add Chele Nica to that list.

Haven't really played Cona Chris enough to know, mostly cause of how good he is :)

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group
    Edited Mon 18th Apr 16:51 [history]

7. #7 / 11
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Does whining about the dice make you a bad sport? *cough cough* You should definitely count me out if that's the case.  =;0) But Thanks for the votes of confidence. :)

Cona's a beast! ...and a really good sport, if your into learning, there is lots of value in a game or two or five with him. 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 11
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Johasi for that mention. I think I've pissed off some players for my strong opinions in the forums and/or my occasional truces in games (and loud complaints from moi when someone violates the terms of our truce), but I'm glad I made a good impression at least on you :-)

My votes go to Bex Valeur and Charlesdale (in addition to ratsy and Afro Daby), both Bex & Charles beat me more often than not, but they are gracious and fun to play with in victory or defeat.

I also haven't played Cona much, but hope to have more opportunities to do so in the future. 

9. #9 / 11
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

Does whining about the dice make you a bad sport? *cough cough* You should definitely count me out if that's the case.  =;0) But Thanks for the votes of confidence. :)

Yeah, but you always make a joke about it, and make no implication that you would have totally won otherwise with overtones of superiority/trash talking.  

10. #10 / 11
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have to +1 each name that has been mentioned here so far. It's a fun crowd to play with. :)

Maybe we could pass around a badge or something - you know, a link on the page to pass the sportsmanship award to the next player of your choice when it's in your cabinate. (after typing this out I realize it's not a very good idea... but there it is)

11. #11 / 11
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cona is a good sport, had some good games with him.  He's willing to exchange strat as well, which is always nice.

I'd also reiterate Chele as well as nominate Baba, YuriZ and Korrun...

Of course these players are gracious while still being in most games, but, at the other end of the spectrum, Banshee Tantrum deserves mention for being a good sport despite being at the wrong end of so many games.  So, here is a call out for him and his determination as well.

In a different Area, I find Ozy and M57 to be good sports at taking, puzzling over and answering so many of my questions when I'm trying to design boards.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)