182 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 36
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is the official voting thread for the Winter/Spring 2015.  Here is the official wiki page:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:map_making_contest:winterspring15_contest

--------

All maps which were released between January 1, 2015 and June 31, 2015 inclusive are eligible for this contest unless they are part of a themed map-making contest. The rules for the contest can be found on the main page for all wargear mapmaking contests

Only two contestants this time:

Voting

You must have played all six maps to vote.  Vote by ranking the maps in any manner.  You don't have to rank all the boards (i.e. if you just had a top 3, that is ok too) - ties are ok.  Mapmaking contestants can vote, and can vote for their own board, but must vote all 5 positions if they vote.   Full details at the rules link above.

I really screwed up the scheduling on this.  Usually we would already be done with voting.  Since I want to give everyone time to play these maps, let's make the voting deadline about 3 months from now - end of March. 

Vote tabulation:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18vUv0JygDYz4bHpTUI7QjJVE5FFPzvKcljsPQjhciSs/edit?usp=sharing

Please start some maps on these boards, and copy this into the comments:

This board is part of map making competition.  You can vote for your favorite map.  Visit this thread in the forums for more information:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4341p1

Edited Tue 12th Jan 00:00 [history]

2. #2 / 36
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

And That's a "You must have played BOTH of these maps to vote."

Right? ;)

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

And That's a "You must have played BOTH of these maps to vote."

Right? ;)

yeah - it's just boilerplate I copy each time.  I actually thought of changing it, but was too lazy...

4. #4 / 36
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Are the ones that competed for Theme prize ineligible for non-Theme? I don't remember that being the case.

With that being the case, then these were all the maps (not involved in theme contest) that were released during the first half of last year?!? 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

5. #5 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

Are the ones that competed for Theme prize ineligible for non-Theme? I don't remember that being the case.

Yep - that's always been the rule.  Doesn't seem fair for a map to double dip.  I personally don't have strong feelings on this, so if there's a general consensus that themed maps should be able to compete in both and Tom supports the idea, it would be fine with me to allow themed maps to compete in two contests.

With that being the case, then these were all the maps (not involved in theme contest) that were released during the first half of last year?!? 

Yep...  Kinda sad/surprising right?  Let me know if I missed any, but I think this was it.

btw - I've got the next map contest ready to vote also, but I'm going to wait a few weeks to let this one get established, and hopefully keep them a bit separate.  That one had 3 maps IIRC.

6. #6 / 36
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

Yeah, and I'd kind of like to apologize. I really want to reciprocate the support given to map making lately by, you know, actually making some.

I just can't find a darn minute to do anything about it.

In your Face!

7. #7 / 36
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

#1 Swamps

#2 Dungeon

Are we supposed to give reasons?

8. #8 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

#1 Swamps

#2 Dungeon

Are we supposed to give reasons?

As a map maker I *love* it when players give some detail as to how they came to their votes, but it's 100% optional.

Also, it would be great if players took these votes and turned them into reviews - but I can't talk, because even though I always think I should do that I never do.  Maybe I need to go back and just do it.

9. #9 / 36
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 to Ozy's post. I'd appreciate any thoughts (positive or critical) you might have on both of these maps. Neither has been as popular as I'd hoped, and it would be nice to hear about what players would prefer instead of what each game currently offers.

10. #10 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Didn't even realize they were both your maps Kjeld - Looks like you've got a lock on 1st and 2nd!

11. #11 / 36
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Swamps

2. Dungeons

It's apples to oranges - they are very different games - but I like swamps better, it has more replayability.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

12. #12 / 36
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1)D

2)S

13. #13 / 36
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1) Dungeons (has it really been less than a year since that came out?)

2) the other one. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

14. #14 / 36
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

1) Swamps

2) Dungeon

I previously posted reviews on both boards

15. #15 / 36
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Swamps

2. Dungeon

Both maps are beautiful and well designed, and I actually personally prefer playing Dungeon (probably because I've lost less often), but I place Swamps above it due to the replayability, as ratsy said...maybe one day I'll figure out a good strategy on Swamps so I can start winning =P

16. #16 / 36
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

+1 to Ozy's post. I'd appreciate any thoughts (positive or critical) you might have on both of these maps. Neither has been as popular as I'd hoped, and it would be nice to hear about what players would prefer instead of what each game currently offers.

Both Maps were fantastic aesthetically with DQ having a bit of an edge.  DQ was also the clear winner for creativity & imagination awesome idea, but playability issues due to the game engine kind of soured things for me.  

Swamps was much more playable, so I put it first.

I haven't played it much mainly due to the bonus structure. It seemed like it would jump straight from early game to late game with someone running the table while everyone else was surprised it was over. I prefer not to play boards where starting luck is more important than strategy.  

17. #17 / 36
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Just to be a complete jerk about the de facto extension, I just got a map into a round of Dev games. I don't expect anyone who has already voted to change just for me, but seeing as there are only two entries, I figured a third really can't hurt. With some help from the Dev/Rev team, hopefully I can get this out there relatively quickly just to add a little variety to the game.

In your Face!

18. #18 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

Just to be a complete jerk about the de facto extension, I just got a map into a round of Dev games. I don't expect anyone who has already voted to change just for me, but seeing as there are only two entries, I figured a third really can't hurt. With some help from the Dev/Rev team, hopefully I can get this out there relatively quickly just to add a little variety to the game.

Hey Cram are you thinking about the themed competition?  I'm ok pushing things a bit longer to get it started. 

19. #19 / 36
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

nevermind. i just realized this voting was for Jan-June 15

korrun just got Reef approved (Feb 1)
    yertle!! got one (Dec 31)
    and ozy had diatoms (Nov 15)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 10th Feb 14:57 [history]

20. #20 / 36
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote:

Hey Cram are you thinking about the themed competition?  I'm ok pushing things a bit longer to get it started. 

Yes, themed. So I'm both a jerk and incapable of reading.

In your Face!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)