208 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

In order to keep from hijacking this thread I thought I would bring things over to a new thread to post this idea. 

Here's the quote that brought from the previous thread:

ratsy wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

I have 231 unrated boards.

Hopefully I don't hijack your thread here - but as much as I admire your goal and your means for doing it I won't be participating and I don't plan on reviewing any more boards.  I don't think the current ratings system gathers good information or puts it to good to use.

Rating system has to be broken... you gave my board your only ten! lmao

The system certainly doesn't put it to good use, but I think it can (maybe not does) capture good information.  The trick is to stop people from reading other reviews before writing their own.  Lots of board rankings look like "something intelligent" and then six repeats of the same thing.

What if we implemented a rating system for the reviews? Nothing complicated, just a thumbs up/down. The worst rated reviews could be moved to the bottom of the list (or even hidden), and the best rated could be moved to the top. That could keep the repetitive reviews low (either through competition to write the best reviews or simply just not being able to see the repeats).

If we do something like that we could also add an achievement for x number of good reviews...maybe even an "anti-achievement" (similar to the enemies achievement) for x number of bad reviews to further discourage people from posting repeats.

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just realized I'm an idiot and screwed up the title of this thread. Should have been "Improving Board Ratings/Reviews" {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Edited Wed 11th Nov 10:53 [history]

3. #3 / 10
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This topic has been discussed in some detail in the past.  I wasn't able to easily find links to threads, but if someone is better at using the search engine, please post some links here.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 10
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

As M57 said this has been discussed before so I probably have said most of this before -

1) I'd like to rate a board for different characteristics - graphics, playability, how good it is for teams, etc.

2) I'd also like to be able to rate the different scenarios differently.  And actually different fog levels, number of players, etc.  Many boards are great with X players but blow with Y players.  That would be useful info.

3) The ratings are stale.  Really I should revisit the ones I wrote 5 years ago because my opinion probably has changed OR the board has changed - the one bad mechanic got fixed, the graphics improved, scenarios added, etc.

4) The ratings are a voluntary exercise.  You can't completely erase this but anyone who has studied statistics knows voluntary samples provide poor feedback.

5) Part of this is because we are a community.  If I think one of Ozy's boards blows I am not going to write a huge reason why in a review.  I may tell him in a post or privately but I don't want it permanently recorded on the board itself.  

So, I'd like to see a system (and this is the rough idea) where a player was asked to rate a board each time they completed a game on it.  It would show up in their turns as a "last turn".  This would be numeric feedback only, if comments were to be made then they could do so on the board itself.*  The ratings would then go into a database where you could ask "how have people rated 3 player games with light fog on this scenario?"  

* And actually I'd like to see a forum-like thread for these comments where people could talk about the board instead of one-shot comments with no possibility of replies.

5. #5 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AfroDaby wrote:

Just realized I'm an idiot and screwed up the title of this thread. Should have been "Improving Board Ratings/Reviews" {#emotions_dlg.blush}

how's that?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 10
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    AfroDaby wrote:

how's that?

Well I'm not quite sure where my mind was, but I thought I read Improvement Board Ratings/Reviews...guess you can ignore that post

Edited Thu 12th Nov 11:52 [history]

7. #7 / 10
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Methinks there was some slight of hand there. ;)

I really like the idea of a like/dislike system for board ratings. Allowing us to give them quality options. 

I could also +1 the idea of having to rate the board on your last turn... although I would think we would have to really make the rating system something relevant before forcing people to use it. 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 10
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

I could also +1 the idea of having to rate the board on your last turn... although I would think we would have to really make the rating system something relevant before forcing people to use it. 

I'm usually in too bad of a mood at this point to let myself share an opinion on anything. I'm terrified of the ratings I'd get if those with less impulse control were to start rating at the same time.

In your Face!

9. #9 / 10
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

As M57 said this has been discussed before so I probably have said most of this before -

1) I'd like to rate a board for different characteristics - graphics, playability, how good it is for teams, etc.

2) I'd also like to be able to rate the different scenarios differently.  And actually different fog levels, number of players, etc.  Many boards are great with X players but blow with Y players.  That would be useful info.

4) The ratings are a voluntary exercise.  You can't completely erase this but anyone who has studied statistics knows voluntary samples provide poor feedback.

5) Part of this is because we are a community.  If I think one of Ozy's boards blows I am not going to write a huge reason why in a review.  I may tell him in a post or privately but I don't want it permanently recorded on the board itself.  

So, I'd like to see a system (and this is the rough idea) where a player was asked to rate a board each time they completed a game on it.  It would show up in their turns as a "last turn".  This would be numeric feedback only, if comments were to be made then they could do so on the board itself.

+1 to the first four and I like the last idea, but I would say have it start after having played the board a few times. Somewhere between 3 to 5 maybe. A big reason based how some feel after a loss in reference to what Cramchakle wrote

Cramchakle wrote:
    ratsy wrote:

I'm usually in too bad of a mood at this point to let myself share an opinion on anything. I'm terrified of the ratings I'd get if those with less impulse control were to start rating at the same time.

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

AfroDaby wrote:
    ratsy wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

I have 231 unrated boards.

Hopefully I don't hijack your thread here - but as much as I admire your goal and your means for doing it I won't be participating and I don't plan on reviewing any more boards.  I don't think the current ratings system gathers good information or puts it to good to use.

Rating system has to be broken... you gave my board your only ten! lmao

The system certainly doesn't put it to good use, but I think it can (maybe not does) capture good information.  The trick is to stop people from reading other reviews before writing their own.  Lots of board rankings look like "something intelligent" and then six repeats of the same thing.

What if we implemented a rating system for the reviews? Nothing complicated, just a thumbs up/down. The worst rated reviews could be moved to the bottom of the list (or even hidden), and the best rated could be moved to the top. That could keep the repetitive reviews low (either through competition to write the best reviews or simply just not being able to see the repeats).

If we do something like that we could also add an achievement for x number of good reviews...maybe even an "anti-achievement" (similar to the enemies achievement) for x number of bad reviews to further discourage people from posting repeats.

+1 to the thumbs up/down for rating reviews

+1 to the review achievement, but not the negative one

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)