Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Okay all, my homepage says "You have 200 unrated boards"

This has to be unacceptable - so here is what I'm gonna do:

I'm going to go through the list and play the boards with the intention of rating them- one by one - 5 games apiece.  I'll post links to the games here as I go through them. 

I have rated a bunch of boards already, so I'm going to use my list of boards that need rating. However, if you want to post links to a bunch of games on other boards please do so. 

The idea is to play and rate the boards - so feel free to have discussions regarding quality ratings - what kind of ratings to give - goods and bads etc. 

Remember:  The purpose of board ratings is to:

1. provide feedback to the creator
    2. inform the general public of your opinion on a boards' gameplay
    3. generally increase the quality of board design

So give constructive criticism - good ideas - and concrete examples of ares for improvement. 

I look forward to some quality discussion.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

2. #2 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Across the Great Divide:

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/475891

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/475892

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/475893

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/475894

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/475895

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 58
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

5 games each? I'm assuming to give them another 'fair shake'?

I've been meaning to do something like this too, although i don't know if i'd go back and play all of them 5 times again.  I've got 178 (though i had to manually count them...). i think i should jump on your wagon, otherwise i may keep putting it off for another 5 years.

you keep posting, i'll keep joining.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, 5 games each. I think I've played every board at least once... I think... but I know some of them I haven't gotten deep into.  So five or so games each - at leastg for the ones I'm not so familiar with. 

Great Divide for example: I've lost the few games I've played so i don't really know how well it plays in the end... etc. 

Feel free to post some games that are unrated for you too and i'll commit to being there. 

5. #5 / 58
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I have 231 unrated boards.

Hopefully I don't hijack your thread here - but as much as I admire your goal and your means for doing it I won't be participating and I don't plan on reviewing any more boards.  I don't think the current ratings system gathers good information or puts it to good to use.

6. #6 / 58
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i plan on writing detail to cover whatever number has to be associated with it. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 58
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is a great idea. I haven't reviewed a single board in my 4 years of play...shame on me {#emotions_dlg.nono}

I probably won't post any of my own games for a while, but I'll join yours and review along with you. Hopefully I'll knock out a bunch of my unrated boards in the process.

8. #8 / 58
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'll rate a couple with ya ;)

9. #9 / 58
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I agree with this whole idea. I've been rating most I've played, but don't want to fall behind as I did on ToS.

And I'll be introduced to a variety of maps all you've played as longtime members

10. #10 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Hopefully I don't hijack your thread here - but as much as I admire your goal and your means for doing it I won't be participating and I don't plan on reviewing any more boards.  I don't think the current ratings system gathers good information or puts it to good to use.

Rating system has to be broken... you gave my board your only ten! lmao

The system certainly doesn't put it to good use, but I think it can (maybe not does) capture good information.  The trick is to stop people from reading other reviews before writing their own.  Lots of board rankings look like "something intelligent" and then six repeats of the same thing.

11. #11 / 58
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

The system certainly doesn't put it to good use, but I think it can (maybe not does) capture good information.  The trick is to stop people from reading other reviews before writing their own.  Lots of board rankings look like "something intelligent" and then six repeats of the same thing.

In order to keep from hijacking this thread I started a new one here to post my ideas.

12. #12 / 58
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

Lol, I try to be creative when I get around to my ratings, but sometimes the obvious is the obvious...

13. #13 / 58
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Where do see the number of boards you haven't rated?

I don't see it on the home page

14. #14 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Should be in the upper right hand corner of your homepage.  Maybe the box has been x'ed out?

15. #15 / 58
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Click "Home" (leftmost grey tab at top of screen) and then in upper right box is a link at the bottom that says "You have n unrated boards"

16. #16 / 58
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I had closed some. Just had to open them back up or you can go to your board ratings tab on your profile

Also, didn't realize I had played 51 boards already

Edited Thu 12th Nov 16:35 [history]

17. #17 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Okay, so here's the next round - just gotta get that across the great divide taste out of my mouth. 

Next board in my list was "Apocalypse soon" by Riskyback

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/481017

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/481018

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/481019

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/481021

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/481022

18. #18 / 58
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So I did my review of Across the great divide, and I'm curious as to other opinions on it?

Thoughts on that board?  

For me:

Graphics are cool - map layout is original - like the use of different mechanics 

Dislikes:

Can't win - slow start - too open (no enough choke points - hard to defend) - luck dependency - not so balanced - really big so long games

19. #19 / 58
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Will you guys do me a favor and tell me which boards of mine should be removed?  I feel like I have some boards that are just clogging up the list.  I'd be happy to remove old ones that people aren't playing, if that's a good solution.  Thanks!

20. #20 / 58
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Totally off topic, but ratsy do you always use a different color for every game?

Just noticed because of the games you hosted here.

I feel like most people I've played stick to 1 or up to 3 colors

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)