184 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I feel that it would be a good idea to penalize a player if they had a certain amount of boots or skips within a month. I've noticed that certain players lose interest in games once they are losing and will let themselves get skipped and booted. Or they will get skipped multiple times in a game but not in succession so that they are not booted. That's why I would like to include skips in the count.  This type of play dampens the fun, to say the least, for every other player who are taking their turns in a timely fashion. I understand if you need the full amount of time to eventually take your turn, but to waste everybody's time for no reason is distasteful.

I'm only referring to players who do this regularly here, not to players who have a busy month and end up getting skipped in a few games as a result. That's why i would suggest that the 1st time a player hit their limit for the month they would receive a warning. The second time that it happens perhaps they limited to a 4 game max. The third time they perhaps are not able to join games for a month. 

I've noticed a pattern with a particular player. Every time I've played them if they start losing bad (multiplayer game, 2 or 3 day timer) they get skipped --> booted or skipped multiple times non consecutively.

I posted this as general discussion to see what everyone else thinks of the idea, or if others can relate.

2. #2 / 14
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I was irked about this practice on a 7-day game, in which I was not doing very good anyways. I had joined the game when I was leaving on a long trip, and then was stuck with the game for months afterwards. 

However, I'm not sure about penalties, it would be very subjective on where to draw the line regarding how many boots or skips are egragious

I think it'd be better to attack the root of the issue, people feeling that if there's no chance to win, there's no reason to play the game. I offered a suggestion in another forum thread, to gain or lose rank by order of elimination (as that would encourage players to stay in the game even if win seemed out of reach), but that was not a popular suggestion.

Maybe there's another carrot that could be used to keep losing players engaged in a game, and not only a stick?

3. #3 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Chele Nica wrote:

I think it'd be better to attack the root of the issue, people feeling that if there's no chance to win, there's no reason to play the game. I offered a suggestion in another forum thread, to gain or lose rank by order of elimination (as that would encourage players to stay in the game even if win seemed out of reach), but that was not a popular suggestion.

Maybe there's another carrot that could be used to keep losing players engaged in a game, and not only a stick?

Hey CH, You know I'm against order of elim, but I have to admit, that's one good argument for it right there Smile

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 14
    Standard Member RoyalCrown
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I've brought this up multiple times before, I wholeheartedly agree with this practice. I run into many many players that when losing just abandon the game. It defeats the entire purpose of a speed game. I could easily name off a number of players that purposefully get skipped and wait 9:59 to take their turn. 

5. #5 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

On the other hand, if you all are referring to people using this practice in 'real-time' games (i.e, with the 9:59 comment), then all bets are off.  Use the fisher clock. 

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

6. #6 / 14
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It's also prudent to consider the other side of the argument too:

The games have skips and boots to make them playable - if you missed your turn and were out of the game it would demand a kind of commitment that may be unreasonable to ask of an online game. 

Also, if we start discouraging [anyone] from playing games - it might have long term bad consequences for the site. One of the nice things about this place is anyone can play - and can usually do it on their own terms. It's "democratic" in that way. 

Also, maybe the answer is for shorter turn timers - If the seven day skip/wait/skip/wait pattern is no good - use the 3 day.  If 10 minute timers are not good - use the fischer clock. You can dial that back to about 30s I think. 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

7. #7 / 14
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

Also, maybe the answer is for shorter turn timers - If the seven day skip/wait/skip/wait pattern is no good - use the 3 day.  If 10 minute timers are not good - use the fischer clock. You can dial that back to about 30s I think. 

I like a 2 day turn timer the best because if in a worst case scenario, I get really busy, I can wait a day and a half before having to come back to it to TAKE MY TURN. I only have to draw out my turn that far maybe 2 or 3 times a month. The thing that erks me is when someone draws out the game out of intentional neglect and wastes 4, sometimes 6 days, with no progression. 

I feel a lot of people join games that caters to their needs in a "worst case" scenario. I imagine that someone might use a 10 minute timer just in case the game takes over an hour and they have to use the restroom, grab something to eat, etc. That said they don't want someone drawing out a game 30 minutes longer than it needs to be just because they're playing a sore loser.

Edited Mon 12th Oct 18:36 [history]

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A Fischer clock for daily games would be nice. I would love to play games with 2 day initial time, 1 day added each turn, and a maximum of 3 days. You could survive a weekend, or an extra busy workday, but would have to keep up on your turns the rest of the time.

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

A Fischer clock for daily games would be nice. I would love to play games with 2 day initial time, 1 day added each turn, and a maximum of 3 days. You could survive a weekend, or an extra busy workday, but would have to keep up on your turns the rest of the time.

+1

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

That's a neat concept.

11. #11 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

+1 -This has been brought up before & I think it's a fantastic idea.  I would use this clock exclusively if I could.  Maybe we should make an official suggestion thread to try and bring it to Tom's attention?  It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to implement on his side.

btw - I collected the previous threads I could find about fischer clock:

And added them to this wiki page:
    http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=general:notable_forum_discussions

12. #12 / 14
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

+1

13. #13 / 14
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:
    Korrun wrote:

+1

+1

14. #14 / 14
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:
    Johasi Vidad wrote:
    Korrun wrote:

+1

+1

+1

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)