180 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 44
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

For the record, I looked through all the games you and UngaBunga played since July 30th. You accused him of cheating twice. Here:http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456022
    And here (the game I referenced above): http://www.wargear.net/games/view/460350
    Almost every game you have lost to Unga features comments from you about dice/first turn win:http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456020
    http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456019 ;
    http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456018
    http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456013
    The only game in which you won and comments were made, you posted gg -- very courteous of you:http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456273
    In none of the games which you won & Unga lost did he accuse you of cheating.
    For what it's worth, I think you are entitled to all of the statements made in these games -- I believe they are often incorrect, but hey, it's your opinion, it's your playstyle, have fun.
    I think it is flatly absurd for you to say Unga is the player making accusations. Other players are welcome to check on these exchanges for themselves.
    And even if your accusations passed the laugh test -- for example if I were to post this whole set of links on your page -- you would be entitled to delete that post immediately, and I would be wrong to post it repeatedly.

2. #22 / 44
    Standard Member RoyalCrown
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You would be entitled to post them on my page. I would delete them. I would also make you an enemy so you can't do it again. If I refuse to make you an enemy and you keep posting them on my page, it is my fault for not making you an enemy. 

3. #23 / 44
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I would indeed recommend that Unga make you an enemy.  

You behavior is harassment.

He can make his own decisions about who he wants to mark as enemy, he can make his own decisions about what he wants on his wall.

Your purpose in repeatedly posting is to force his choice.  I repeat, it is harassment.  

I suspect other folks on the site would agree -- if not, I would urge them to join in the conversation.

4. #24 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

As I have tried to explain, the debate is not if it is or is not harassment. The debate is if the wall is private or public. To me the wall is public (every user can view your wall from the moment you join), meaning I can post whatever I want with whatever frequency I want deeming my actions NOT harassment only exercising my right to my opinion. If you view the wall as private, then the only people that can view/post on your wall should be friends.

Edited Wed 19th Aug 10:47 [history]

5. #25 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Use this example. If I am standing in the middle of a highway and somebody starts video recording me with their phone, I have no power to stop them. I am in a PUBLIC space. However, on the other side of the coin, If I am in my own personal property and somebody starts video recording me, it is within my rights to stop him/her from doing so.

6. #26 / 44
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You keep saying this, yet the "delete" button next to the posts on my wall demonstrates you are plainly wrong.

7. #27 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The delete button also exists on facebook, but yet only friends may view your wall. I am neither wrong nor right. Simply pointing out my own observations.

8. #28 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You're arguing that your wall is PRIVATE space when it is clearly is not. (Anybody at anytime can post to your wall regardless of whether or not they know you.)

9. #29 / 44
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Thank you for your observations.

I am trying to inform you that if you continue with the behavior you exhibit, you are at risk of being perceived as a jerk, and becoming unwelcome in this otherwise friendly community.  

10. #30 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I completely understand that BTdubs. Let the record show that I only exhibit this behavior with players that have earned it. I could care less if the above mentioned players think I am a jerk.  I am sure you are a great player and a great person BTdubs.  

11. #31 / 44
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RoyalCrown wrote:

As I have tried to explain, the debate is not if it is or is not harassment. The debate is if the wall is private or public. To me the wall is public (every user can view your wall from the moment you join), meaning I can post whatever I want with whatever frequency I want deeming my actions NOT harassment only exercising my right to my opinion. If you view the wall as private, then the only people that can view/post on your wall should be friends.

Actually, the thread was started by Unga and it does not seem to question if the wall is public or private space nor if it's purpose is to publicly call players out or to reward them praise.  If you want to have that discussion, you might consider starting your own thread.  That said, the 'delete' button is pretty telling that as public as the space can be construed, it is still very much at the discretion and control of the walls owner.  At most a limited public space.

He does however mention harassment in his op and most who have responded agree that your actions fit the bill regarding that accusation.

Anyway, the debate is not about public or private wall space as much as you are trying to turn it into that. 

Meanwhile, the links BTdubs posted are quite petty.  You accuse Unga of cheating when he is actually just using the tools available to him, and everyone else.  You are the only player I have ever heard say that utilizing the history in fogged games is cheating.  Or even that it is unexpected, or cheap, for that matter.  It is a feature completely at the discretion of the board designer.  Take note that CC, for example, bars watching the history by design.  If it was cheating it would have been very easy for the designer to program it so that it could not be utilized.  Point is, it isn't cheating and that you would say so is laughable.  To suggest that you don't use the history in fogged games is either lying or very foolish of you.  It seems this might be why you are not being very forth telling with regard to what this is all about.

How Unga accused you of cheating is not cheating either, but, it does leave a foul smell in the air.  There is a recently disabled player who used to drag out 10 minute timer games to take 3+ hours.  Not cheating either... But, he made few friends and many enemies by exploiting such game mechanics into his favour rather then just playing the game.  Fischer 30's is the opposite end of the spectrum, but, also considered a cheap way to win games by exploiting game mechanics and trying to force boots rather then actually playing the game.

If you are hoping to pave a similar path... You are making great headway!

12. #32 / 44
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Right now the player's wall is akin to a FaceBook timeline or a billboard outside a restaurant, anyone can post to it - but the owner has control over what stays. If you've noticed something you posted to someone's wall gets taken down, maybe put it up once more. Maybe.     If it's taken down again; then let it go. 

Ideally, i'd like to see a section where you put a private note attached to someones wall so you can keep your own notes on a particular player.

For example I would use it to put something like "found out X lives a half hour from me. Maybe hook up with them for a Hawk game?" or "Y is often quick to inflame and often rude and/or condescending. not a pleasure to game with" or "really good one to talk to for stats and how factories work"

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #33 / 44
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BTdubs wrote:

I am trying to inform you that if you continue with the behavior you exhibit, you are at risk of being perceived as a jerk, and becoming unwelcome in this otherwise friendly community.  

Risk long since realized.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

14. #34 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:

Actually, the thread was started by Unga and it does not seem to question if the wall is public or private space................

You would be correct. Unga started the thread asking how he can stop posts that he deems not wanted from appearing on his wall.

As I have stated with a fairly steady frequency.... simply make any user you don't want to post on your publicly viewable by anybody wall, an enemy. Problem solved. 

15. #35 / 44
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

BTdubs wrote:

I believe I've posted this before, but have you noticed that the same names keep coming up over and over in these he said/she said situations? Maybe is those same people were just a little bit less of an immature douche they wouldn't have to regularly defend their actions...

16. #36 / 44
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

BTdubs wrote:

For the record, I looked through all the games you and UngaBunga played since July 30th. You accused him of cheating twice. Here:http://www.wargear.net/games/view/456022
    And here (the game I referenced above): http://www.wargear.net/games/view/460350

Slander:

n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth

will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a

lawsuit. Damages (payoff for worth) for slander may be limited to actual(special) damages unless there

is malicious intent, since such damages are usually difficult to specify and harder to prove. Some statements

such as an untrue accusation of having committed a crime, having a loathsome disease, or being unable to

perform one's occupation aretreated as slander per se since the harm and malice are obvious, and therefore

usually result in general and even punitive damage recoveryby the person harmed. Words spoken over the

air on television or radio are treated as libel (written defamation) and not slander on the theory that

broadcasting reaches a large audience as much if not more than printed publications. 

(See: defamationfair comment)

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

17. #37 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

Right now the player's wall is akin to a FaceBook timeline or a billboard outside a restaurant, anyone can post to it - but the owner has control over what stays. If you've noticed something you posted to someone's wall gets taken down, maybe put it up once more. Maybe.     If it's taken down again; then let it go.

That would be incorrect. Only user defined "Friends" may post to a users Facebook timeline. WarGear is close but not in anyway the same functionality. 

Secondly, a restaurants billboard would be erected on the property owned by the restaurant, which would indeed give the owner control of what is advertised. However, if someone were to stand one amoeba off of the property, weather it be in the road or a house next door... any opinions would be out of the owners control.

All I am saying is because the wall is viewable, editable, postable, by literally anyone who is a member deems the wall a PUBLIC space. You mention the delete button, following my/your analogy, this would be the equivalent to the owner building a fence (on his private property, of course) so the owner cannot see the opinion.

As I have also stated in this thread, I use a users wall to investigate whether or not I will be playing them. If there is another area of the site that I am unaware of please point me in that direction. I have been told that the forums is not an area to call people out in so I have avoided doing so. It has been mentioned that I could post my opinions on my own wall, but again, how would this help John Doe in the future who is clueless on how bad/good a player is.

18. #38 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote

Slander:

n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth

will harm the reputation of the person defamed..........

Keyword here being untruth. Slander is not the correct word to use.

19. #39 / 44
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

So you are saying that because (once) Unga suggested the practice of setting a Fischer clock at 30 seconds might be construed as cheating, after you (twice) accused him of cheating by watching the history of a fogged games (which is distinctly not cheating), you feel it is your duty to inform all other players that Unga has bad manners?

Doctor, heal thyself!

20. #40 / 44
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

BTdubs wrote:

......inform all other players that Unga has bad manners?

More like remind myself. I play a lot of people.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)