2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've already got a mobs game going.  Put out a query for a specific mobs game yourself ratsy - being sure to specify scenario - fog type and timer-type.  Then you'll need to monitor the thread for takers, then create the game and invite at least as many players as there are seats then hope those players join - and add players as necessary.

Honestly, there are two reasons I'm doing this - one is because I want to play some unranked games on these boards, but the other is to demonstrate that there's demand, but it's much too time consuming and all but impossible for most members to know how to create these types of games.

Also to demonstrate that there are too many options - between how many days - fog types - number of players etc.  Already on this thread there have been conditional responses - "I'm interested, but only if the fog type is x and the clock is y, etc." It's just way too much work for the game creator to manage. I/we could flood the message boards with requests for unranked games and it would still be insufficient - because most don't even read the forum posts and I submit that most of us that read forum posts are not the type of players who would be most interested in playing unranked games in the first place.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Fri 12th Jun 15:15 [history]

2. #22 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

..and while I'm on a roll - here's another reason.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Go-Geared/Games%20List

Most anyone that decides (on impulse) to learn how to play this board is never going to win a game on it.   Nekon is well within his rights to pile up the points this way, but this board will never attract a following as long as there's no easy way to play it unranked.  I would have an unranked game open on this map 24/7 if they were available, and I would happily lose every game so that players could learn how the win mechanism works, etc.  Heck, I've purposely lost ranked games on this board for that reason.

3. #23 / 29
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

What about tournaments as the current best way to do "unranked games". As I've said before I haven't really done many public Blandesnburg (or now Iwo Jima games) because Berickf has hacked the site to get extra attacks and units (same with IRsmart on Waterloo...), but I am having a great time in tournaments on both maps. I would totally join  a go-geared tournament. I've almost joined Nekon's games a few times, but just didn't feel like wasting my time getting my ass for sure handed to me. Playing other noobs in a tournament I am sure Nekon would eventually win I'd be fine with though.

4. #24 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

In that tournament play doesn't affect CPs or overall GR, this is fine.  but I do not care about CPs - In fact, I don't like them. Strangely enough, I DO care about my Tournament Ranking. In fact, at one point (not too long ago) there were a number of threads that were aimed at revising the ranking system to more equally balance the different types of play - Tournament/Team/Public/ etc. With this in mind, and in the event that Tournament play actually affects overall or aggregate rankings at some point in the future, how will you feel when all of your Throw-away games suddenly 'count'?

Besides, Tournaments are a poor way to learn a board. You can forget about using the Elimination format, where players who need to play more actually end up playing less. On the other hand, if you want to learn with better players,Round Robin doesn't fair much better; the format pits you agains players who, like you, may not know what they're doing. And what happens when you want to learn an obscure board? Just see how fast a 32 play elimination or even an 8 player RR tournament fills on a less popular board - not to mention that you have to invite players if you want it to have any chance of it filling - (see my above comments about inviting players - Summary: I hate it). Nope, using tournaments to learn boards (and I know some people do it this way - but for all the wrong reasons) is a poor solution. Come to think of it, I don't understand why tournament play shouldn't be a more important stat than normal board play!  Isn't that the way tournaments work in other games/sports?

Why not have the obvious solution? Offer Unranked Public games. What is the argument against? The point of having unranked games is about ease of finding a game, and not having to worry about ANY stat. I submit there are a lot of players out there who shy away from this site, and certainly from many boards, precisely because they don't want to be judged by their stats.

Edited Sun 14th Jun 06:17 [history]

5. #25 / 29
    Standard Member nekon
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

..and while I'm on a roll - here's another reason.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Go-Geared/Games%20List

Most anyone that decides (on impulse) to learn how to play this board is never going to win a game on it.   Nekon is well within his rights to pile up the points this way, but this board will never attract a following as long as there's no easy way to play it unranked.  I would have an unranked game open on this map 24/7 if they were available, and I would happily lose every game so that players could learn how the win mechanism works, etc.  Heck, I've purposely lost ranked games on this board for that reason.

Hey

I would love to open Unranked games and get more players for Go-Geared.

At the moment i dont really have an option to play the map against new players.
    Of cause i will win the game against them ( some dont even read the Wiki ) and take some easy points.

If i remember right i played my first game in a tourny and i loved it :-)

There are maps on this side where you can't just join and hope for the best.
    You need to learn the rules and some players are just to lazy ( or the dont give a crap ) to read the Wiki.

A turorial for these games would be nice
    ( http://www.learngo.co.uk/GoTutor/Tutor.php?Story=1&Chapter=3 Tutorial for GO )

It takes time to creat them and im not sure if they would read them :-(

Just take Chees for an example:
    Iam a good chees player and if i want to teach someone to play it the reaction is just
    " Nää to many rules " or " Whaaaaat "
    and then they quit.

6. #26 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

nekon wrote:

Hey

I would love to open Unranked games and get more players for Go-Geared.

At the moment i dont really have an option to play the map against new players.
    Of cause i will win the game against them ( some dont even read the Wiki ) and take some easy points.

If i remember right i played my first game in a tourny and i loved it :-)

There are maps on this side where you can't just join and hope for the best.
    You need to learn the rules and some players are just to lazy ( or the dont give a crap ) to read the Wiki.

A turorial for these games would be nice
    ( http://www.learngo.co.uk/GoTutor/Tutor.php?Story=1&Chapter=3 Tutorial for GO )

It takes time to creat them and im not sure if they would read them :-(

Just take Chees for an example:
    Iam a good chees player and if i want to teach someone to play it the reaction is just
    " Nää to many rules " or " Whaaaaat "
    and then they quit.

Thanks for your supporting post nekon.

I just want to say that my supernova is cooler than your galaxy. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Back on topic... The difference is that there are many places where you can learn to play chess or go judgement free..  I'm actually considering 'retiring' Go and Battle of Waterloo until they can be properly supported with the availability of unranked games ..and there's no way I'll be playing boards like Hex until unranked games are available.

Edited Tue 16th Jun 19:42 [history]

7. #27 / 29
    Standard Member RoastedPickles
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

im in if thers rroom

8. #28 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RoastedPickles wrote:

im in if thers rroom

I'm making a number of my boards available for unranked public play by creating doppelgängers of them and making them available as Beta boards. You can create a game on any of them yourself.  Unfortunately, the experiment seems to be for naught.  For one, I can't even give you a link to the beta page.  You have to go to your Boards page, then click on the "Beta Boards" (Green Blob icon) button in the "View" category.  Basically they are all but hidden for the casual gamer here. I can give you links to the individual board Create Game pages.  For instance..

http://www.wargear.net/games/create?boardid=6241

9. #29 / 29
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Unranked 7 player anarchy, 2 seats left!

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/450390

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)