212 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I want to have a territory that increases by 1 unit per turn only if it is neutral (to a cap of 5). Is there a good way to accomplish this?

I thought a Universal+N would work, but then realized that neutral can't "own" the member territory necessary to trigger the factory production. I suppose an off-board token territory owned by a player could do the same thing, but that seems... inelegant (and potentially problematic with respect to turn order and precisely when the additional unit is added in a given round of play). In any case, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has a better idea.

2. #2 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't know of a good way to do this. 

>I suppose an off-board token territory owned by a player could do the same thing, but that seems... inelegant (and potentially problematic with respect to turn order and precisely when the additional unit is added in a given round of play).

Yes problematic - what do you do if that player gets eliminated?  You'd need some way to pass the territory on to someone else.

3. #3 / 8
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Blast, that's what I thought. It would be super from a design perspective to produce the effect of a regenerating barrier of neutrals.

4. #4 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The problem with the idea is - even if such a factory type existed, when should the factory to kick in?   ..every complete round of turns? As you have noted, the latter doesn't really make sense - when should the round start?

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

5. #5 / 8
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You can regenerate 1 unit per turn at the start of each player's turn. But not 1 unit per round.

6. #6 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

You can regenerate 1 unit per turn at the start of each player's turn. But not 1 unit per round.

Yeah - I think this is a reasonable/interesting constraint.  How about if you modify your attack borders coming in to the neutral wall.  Give them +2 , +3 or more, and that will balance the extra neutrals (have to increase territory max as well). 

Will have other side affects of course, but something that you can probably live with & maybe even integrate or inspire to make the map better.

Edited Sat 28th Mar 00:42 [history]

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes, you could make every player's turn deposit 1 neutral and then you could alter the attack mods till you had the increase in neutrals manageable by making them more susceptible to defeat.  I think you could also limit the total neutrals with the bonus cap while still leaving the territory cap as something else.  Then, as you were doing, if a player owns the territory hopefully a simple auto-neutral can freeze his troops in there as neutral at the beginning of his turn (and reset to a neutral count of your desire?)

8. #8 / 8
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ok, thanks for the suggestions! It sounds like that final solution will have to work. Fortunately, there are only four players each with a single off-board capital, so it's not too difficult to set up.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)