1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Black Sheep Doom
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Wow, first off, it's been years since I've been here, and the site looks great!  Well done everyone on making this such an active community.

Happened to think of the old days, and wanted to check back and see if any veterans are still active from the WF era.  I don't have the most free time, but I could probably get back to some casual play.

It's been great. Play well friends.

2. #2 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hey D, I'm not even sure you were around when I joined this site, and I consider myself an old-timer. asm was floating around recently.  Haven't heard much from Hugh, but he comes and goes. Yertle and Cramchakle make very rare appearances, and I'm struggling to think of active members from your era, which is basically the birth of the site.  Amidon37 maybe?

Some things have changed rather dramatically.  I don't think you were around when factories were implemented. They are somewhat complicated to explain but basically they let designers make continents on steroids.  That feature alone has been a major game changer.  Factories are so powerful that there are a number of boards on this site that play nothing like Risk.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Mon 16th Mar 16:54 [history]

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Welcome back!

4. #4 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh yeah, and Kjeld.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

5. #5 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

first: holy shit!

second: suddenly i have the theme song to "welcome back kotter" (for those not been around as long as doom)

third: where ya been, whacha been up to? pull up a chair and regale us with tales of your travels!!

fourth: holy shit!

i think besides doom, the other 'major' players that stuck around awhile that joined before i did were: kobra kai, Iroll11s, Vataro, toaster, krock, oatworm, asm, yertle, cram, wallace wishmaster. and as you can see only a few of those are presently around.  
    i think kjeld, ed nygma and mongrel were right there too...

EDIT: looking back on the player list andernut, TKDave, Mad Bomber, Ozy, cumberdale (i think i see him pop in from time to time) and Jigen were all here before turkey day; within that first month, and are still playing.  

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 16th Mar 23:43 [history]

6. #6 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Welcome back Doom.  Hope you stick around for awhile.

Some players who seem to have vanished - Gimli, Wallace Wishmaster, and E Nygma, though the latter indicated his withrdrawal to focus on other types of games.   And haven't seen Toaster in awhile.  Risky has been off-and-on.

7. #7 / 13
    Black Sheep Doom
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I know it's been about 4 years, so chances didn't favor the old crowd much, but it's great to see your familiar names here!

As for what I've been up to, finished a nickel at the bank and shifted careers. Too tired of investment analysis, hedge funds operate so much on margin it's ridiculous. Moved into Legal and work fighting white collar crime. I manage a team of liaisons that coordinate with global law enforcement agencies to break down fraud, stolen identities, money laundering, etc.

Anyway, I'm open to a casual game or so with friends, you'll probably have to teach me all the awesome new features!

Edit: Wait, so KobraKai (aka Tom) isn't active anymore? Does he still own WarGear?

Edited Tue 17th Mar 11:21 [history]

8. #8 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, Tom is still running wargear.

9. #9 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah sorry, forgot tom=KobraKai...it's been so long. i don't think tom plays much anymore. too busy running the site. but he might break out of retirement for a game or two with ya. shoot him a PM.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes still here and still at the reigns... welcome back Doom! Definite blast from the past {#emotions_dlg.wave}

11. #11 / 13
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm still stalking every now and then! Great to see you Doom, I still think of you when thinking about Risk as you're the reason I got hooked on WF!

RiskyBack is still alive too, but may be spending all his time looking in a mirror (he thinks he's kind of a big deal)!  I think Cumberdale checks in from time to time too.

Now, fight crime AND go make a new board Doom!

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

12. #12 / 13
    Black Sheep Doom
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Yert! Good to see you! I think I'll stick to just casually playing some games, map design is pretty intensive looking at all the new features. I feel like the old man neighbor looking across the fence, telling all the kids with their fancy technology how rough it was in the old days. Most of my time playing, we didn't even have adobe flash and had to refresh the page after every single action!

MB: whoa, wowo congrats on the #1 rank position here!

13. #13 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I still don't think MB realizes we let him win all those games.  Shhhh.  {#emotions_dlg.wave}

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)