176 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 17
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm trying to figure out a way to have both "on board" and "off board" territories. 

By on/off board, in this sense I basically mean that if you lose all your on board territories, but still have off board territories you are still eliminated.

We know how to do this if we have a capital on the board.   Invention is an example, where the techs are off board, and the main world is on board.

I think we know how to do it when abandon is on:

Have a capital off board for each player that they start with.  Max 1 unit.  Give it a "decay" factory with itself as the only member and the target with a value of -1.  Then another "keep alive" factory for every on board territory * every capital.  Where the factory target is +1 to the capital.  As long as you have at least one on board territory the +1 balances the -1 and you stay alive.  When you have no on board territories, you only get the -1 applied to your capital, and it goes to -1 and you get eliminated.

I'm actually not 100% sure if that works.  I feel like I tested it at one point, but can't remember for sure.  Can anyone confirm it works or doesn't work?

Finally I get to the situation I actually want which is similar to the above, but without abandon.  I thought now that we had auto-neutral factories I could use that for the decay factory, and use a regular autocapture factory for the +1.  But this doesn't seem to work.  It seems like the auto-neutral factory is applied and eliminates the player before the autocapture factory gets a chance to kick and save them. 

I thought that the way wargear worked, was 1st a traversal of all factories to decide which to apply.  Then a 2nd traversal of those factories to actually apply them, then finally a test for eliminations via capitals.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  Maybe the elimination test is being conducted after each factory is applied. 

Just wanted to see if anyone knew a bit better what is going on.  I think maybe I can still get this to work by having two capitals for each player, so that they are not eliminated immediately and have a chance for the stay alive factory to get the capital back before the second one gets taken away, but was looking for any more information before I go through the trouble of testing.

2. #2 / 17
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would really like clarification on the order in which factories (of different types) trigger with respect to one another and also with respect to abandonment of the territory and the check for elimination.

I feel like there might be an issue like this latent in my current dev board Dungeon Quest, http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/6080, where I use a mechanism similar to what Ozy describes above:

Have a capital off board for each player that they start with.  Max 1 unit.  Give it a "decay" factory with itself as the only member and the target with a value of -1.  Then another "keep alive" factory for every on board territory * every capital.  Where the factory target is +1 to the capital.  As long as you have at least one on board territory the +1 balances the -1 and you stay alive.  When you have no on board territories, you only get the -1 applied to your capital, and it goes to -1 and you get eliminated.

In my case, I'd like a player to be eliminated automatically if they ever occupy more than 3 territories on the main board (the dungeon). So I set up a capital for each player, that gives a +3 factory bonus to itself each turn. Each capital starts has a unit max of 4. Every territory on the board gives a -1 factory bonus to the capital of its controlling player, so if you ever have more than 3 you get +3 and -4, which is 0. So far, I think it works, but I haven't actually tested out the elimination mechanic yet.

3. #3 / 17
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Don't factories trigger in order: #/alpha?

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 17
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You may be right, but it's quite difficult to test in practice.

5. #5 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom explained it once. 

Found the thread:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2949p1/Question_about_order_of_factory_behavior

It's done by a mySQL ORDER BY on the factory name field - it is case sensitive.

mysql documentation says ORDER BY is insensitive by default:

>On character type columns, sorting—like all other comparison operations—is
    >normally performed in a case-insensitive fashion. This means that the order is
    >undefined for columns that are identical except for their case. You can force a
    >case-sensitive sort for a column by using BINARY like so: ORDER BY BINARY
    >col_name

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/sorting-rows.html

(i.e. Tom originally said it was case sensitive, but then I found documentation that sounds like it is not)

I also found this bit in the same thread from Tom:

the order of capture will be determined by the factory name. But it is a two pass system so first it runs through to see which continents the player owns, then it builds a list of auto-capture factories.

The auto-captures are then run through in a second loop. So only one auto-capture will fire depending on which territories are owned at the point of the first loop run through.

I'm not exactly sure what that means.  Does it mean that the last auto-capture that gets triggered is the only one to be applied, or is it the first one?  Seems like it would be better to go ahead and apply all of them.  It could have an affect on how many units end up in the territory even if it doesn't affect the eventual ownership.  Also, do auto-neutral factories count as auto-capture factories?

If Tom would be willing to post the relevant code that handles this, that might be the most definitive way to answer this rather than trying to have him try to explain it.

Edited Thu 12th Mar 11:13 [history]

6. #6 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

7. #7 / 17
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Doesn't look like the two capital system is working either. Both autoneutral factories are triggering before either autocapture: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/426546

8. #8 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

well damn.  Thanks for checking that out Korrun.  So it looks like Auto-neutral factories either are all applied first before any autocapture.  Or possibly it runs through all the possible capturing  factories to determine ownership and auto-neutral dominate or apply 2nd or something...

9. #9 / 17
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Did another one where the only one of the two capitals has the autoneutral: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/426588

Seems that the autocapture factory is still adding units to the territory, but not changing ownership.

10. #10 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

not sure I get what happened there.  I need to look more closely when I have time.

btw - I noticed that on my maps the auto-neutrals did not kick in until the beginning of the 2nd round,  but yours kicked in right away.  Maybe because you let players choose their territories?

11. #11 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

btw - I ran a test game with abandon on to verify that the technique I outlined above does in fact work for abandon boards:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/428034

12. #12 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

And, since I wasn't 100% clear what Korrun had done, I setup my own scenario with no abandon.  The game was over before it even started, and seemed to confirm that auto-neutral factories dominate auto-capture factories regardless of the name of the factories:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/428048

13. #13 / 17
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozy, this is exactly what the 'token territories' request I have in is to accomplish. As it stands, even with abandon immediately on, elimination gets odd/ugly. Even after all of your territories are gone, you have to take one more confusing turn where you have nothing to place and no moves to make, but still have to hit the 'end turn' button to accept your fate. See my time zones map for an example of this in action.

In your Face!

14. #14 / 17
    Premium Member psilofyr
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Ah a year late on this thread, but I seem to be having a similar problem with the new GoT map. Was there ever any clarification about different factory types taking precedence regardless of name? Autoneutral vs autocapture, specifically...

15. #15 / 17
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The best way to find out is to try it on a simple board yourself. As I understand it - Name determines order. So for instance an 'early' standard factory may not fill because the territory gets called before an Autocapture 'turns' it.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Wed 6th Apr 20:07 [history]

16. #16 / 17
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

psilofyr wrote:

Ah a year late on this thread, but I seem to be having a similar problem with the new GoT map. Was there ever any clarification about different factory types taking precedence regardless of name? Autoneutral vs autocapture, specifically...

I don't recall the details of my testing on this before, but from what I remember, the auto-neutral and auto-capture don't play nice with each other.

Has anyone else worked on this problem at all?

17. #17 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I know I tried some things, but I need to track down my notes or comments or something.  I'll try to do so sometime soon.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)