184 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member Crandawg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I was just wondering... With all the data this system must collect and the time put in to make the ranking system, if anyone has used the data to see if there is a correlation between the color someone selects and the % of wins. I would think that a brighter color might have an effect on some games. I would assume it depends on how many opponents/players are in a game as well.

There are many variables that would have to be taken in consideration to do it correctly.

Anyway....

2. #2 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think anyone has done that.  I believe you could pull the data yourself using the WarGear API and try it figure it out.  Sounds interesting.   I'd really like to see this for maps where color also is tied to the starting position (e.g. Invention).

3. #3 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This could be done, but unless you are thinking of something pretty sophisticated, only for those maps where standard colors are used.  I customize the colors of most of my maps. Also, for those maps where less than 16 players are allowed, often the designer will delete colors, so though you can still calculate win percentages, you'd probably have to use some kind of H-rating related formula to make them relevant and relatable.

For maps like Invention (where apparently color is tied to position), call me an old fashioned enemy of the scientific method, but I'm thinking it's more likely that the position is affecting the win % than the color.  Other examples,  Waterloo and Go-Geared. where in both cases there are only two colors and they are assigned.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Fri 6th Feb 06:36 [history]

4. #4 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I'm thinking it's more likely that the position is affecting the win % than the color.

Oh yeah, of course!  I just think it would be very interesting to see how the position affects win %.  More interesting to me than whether bright colors have  a slight advantage/disadvantage to them. 

As for the colors, my guess is that a neutral looking grey or a black or something is going to be the only color with any significant advantage (due to player confusion), and even then it will be small.

5. #5 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There have been a number of great discussions about which aspects of games could be analyzed for win % etc.  For instance, it would be interesting to see how much of a higher likelihood you have of winning  starting with  Western Australia over Japan.

6. #6 / 15
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would assume that (not counting games like Invention/Go where they are assigned) that the colors with the most wins would be the colors preferred by the top players.

7. #7 / 15
    Standard Member Crandawg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I was thinking, to get an idea of where to start on this a few basic scatter plots would need to be made. One set of scatter plots would compare all wins on all maps with vs. the color the winner was, then compare all maps with the -actual statistical outlier players- removed (top players and never won players and so keep inexperience players from biasing the results say... less then 10 games played excluded as well). You may already see a correlation at this point. If not then one more set of scatter plots should be made to deduce the idea once and for all.

Next would compare either top played boards or the most basic boards (risk style boards only) and all wins and the color or winner. This may have to be a bar graph by board and by color.... to get a visual...

If a statistical correlation does exist it would show up in one if not all of the scatter plots. Then  the more detailed bar graphs/Histograms would need to be made to compare the board and colors to eliminate better colors on what boards.... Wow... This gets pretty complicated fast. But the first set of scatter plots would not be too hard... And if not correlation shows on the first set of scatter plots then the second half would not need to be done at all....

Hope this makes sense.... Sort of thinking out loud here...

8. #8 / 15
    Standard Member Crandawg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Crandawg wrote:

One set of scatter plots would compare all wins on all maps with vs. the color the winner was,

To clarify, I mean each color would need its own scatter plot of all win's of all maps..

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member Crandawg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Then eliminate the best and worst players (outliers) to see is a correlation shows or disappears vs. the All players all Boards... 

10. #10 / 15
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

I would assume that (not counting games like Invention/Go where they are assigned) that the colors with the most wins would be the colors preferred by the top players.

Winner.

Been gone a while. You all did a good job holding down the fort.

11. #11 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    Korrun wrote:

Winner.

..or is it the colors themselves that make the winners winners?  Cause and effect?  Do people pick on cyan more than they pick on pink?

12. #12 / 15
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is that why I keep losing? I love cyan.

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I play maroon whenever it's an option.

..don't go there!{#emotions_dlg.nono}

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I went there.  

If you do this analysis, try to factor in the size of the game too. A sixteen player game is likely to see higher survival rates for a harder to see color.  A two player game will not. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

15. #15 / 15
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    Korrun wrote:

Winner.

+1

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)