1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 22
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Sounds to complicated to me to scale with the fog. I think that would be confusing. I'd say just 2 attributes with 3 possible values each to keep it as close as possible to current fog that everyone is used to, but still give flexibility:

1. See Ownership
    2. Don't See Ownership
    3. Default Fog View for Ownership

1. See Unit Count
    2. Don't See Unit Count
    3. Default Fog View for Unit Count

Good call, this makes a lot of sense & gives you great control.

2. #22 / 22
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

And it's just complicated (the 'lighthouse-factory'  workaround) - for the designer and for the player.  Players generally prefer simpler boards - these machinations just make things harder to understand and make boards more intimidating to new players.

In my old WarGear age, I tend to be wary of suggesting or endorsing features that are kludgy.  If the final fog solution is apparent, as unwieldy as it may be, then one-offs really only make sense if they serve that goal.  That said, if the add-on is an easy one, and Tom is game, go for it.

Re: the comment that players may prefer simpler boards: many of these advanced features, used in the context of a primary theme (i.e. not in conjunction with 1/2 a dozen other advanced features) do not necessarily make the board more complicated - they simply define the 'twist' or characteristic that make boards unique and supports their backstories in an easy to understand manner.

Semi-OT I seem to remember when I was designing Anarchy and the neutral territories created by booted players would pile up with armies, ruining the game, Tom came to the rescue with - and + Auto Neutral Factories.  I don't remember the specifics, but I feel like that feature request was just for me.  I've used it since then - with boards like Ren Wars to populate the crown differently for each player, but it was a response to an individual need.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sat 24th Jan 05:53 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)