180 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 21
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is the official voting thread for the January 1, 2014 - June 31, 2014 contest.

Rules: http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:map_making_contest" rel="nofollow nofollow" href="/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:map_making_contest">http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:map_making_contest

Contestants: http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshop:map_making_contest:winterspring14_contest

Vote tabulation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15NzPQuC1q7bj8RcbVOmiqwM6vY6M8plFl9bA2--8u9Y/edit?usp=sharing

Summary

You must have played atleast six of the boards to vote. Vote by ranking the maps in any manner (up to 5). You don't have to rank all the boards (i.e. if you just had a top 3, that is ok too) - ties are ok. Mapmaking contestants can vote, and can vote for their own board, but must vote all 5 positions if they vote. Full details at the rules link above.

Only votes cast before the end of December will count.

2. #2 / 21
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Pleasantville

2. Zombie Islands / Renesance Wars

3. The Shire

4. Quantum Entanglement

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 21
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

My first time voting!

1. Renaissance Wars

2. Axis V Allies Tech

3. Risk of Thrones

4. Quantum Entanglement

5. The Shire

4. #4 / 21
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm still not super comfortable voting for my own maps but..

1. Renaissance Wars:  It's War of the Roses on steroids. It may not be as pretty as 'Roses', but it's been scaled up, the basic mechanics have been tweaked, and there are some nice add-ons that offer even more depth of game-play. "Ren Wars" takes advantage of the 'factory' designer features like no other board in a number of ways.

2. Zombie Island:  Zombie Island offers a highly stylized board with an innovative way of determining borders and bonuses. Yertle's boards are graphically superior.

3. Quantum Entanglement: QE has a very simple but unique game-play mechanic.  I think the "separate universes" win paradigm is on the same level of creativity as Anarchy with its bizarre backwards-inverted hordes placement mechanic.

4. Risk of Thrones: This is a beautiful map, but difficult to understand ..and I'm tempted to believe mechanically flawed.  I've only played it a couple times, but the last time I played it, I left three units on my capital and didn't live to see my second turn.

5. Pleasantville: Gameplay is difficult to evaluate. The board needs a ton of players to work - but it seems evenly designed, with lot of places to blow through full-throttle, and a lot to turtle.  Games are a bit too long, but that I understand that can be a matter of taste. Unfortunately it's graphically lacking.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Mon 1st Dec 21:18 [history]

5. #5 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm not able in input votes on the spreadsheet. I do not seem to have editing permission.

6. #6 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I'm not able in input votes on the spreadsheet. I do not seem to have editing permission.

Thanks.  I forgot to share it.  Try it now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15NzPQuC1q7bj8RcbVOmiqwM6vY6M8plFl9bA2--8u9Y/edit?usp=sharing

7. #7 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Still no love - can view but not edit.

8. #8 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

bleh.  Try again.

9. #9 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Smile

10. #10 / 21
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Summary

You must have played atleast six of the boards to vote. Vote by ranking the maps in any manner (up to 5). You don't have to rank all the boards (i.e. if you just had a top 3, that is ok too) - ties are ok. Mapmaking contestants can vote, and can vote for their own board, but must vote all 5 positions if they vote. Full details at the rules link above.

Ozy, I played 6 of them, but some of those were dev only. Am I eligible to vote?

11. #11 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I did the same last time and announced it - I think it was for one board (and it may have been a review game, not a dev game). Also, I think I was trying to play or finish a ranked game on that board to satisfy the spirit of the competition.  I think it's not unreasonable - though I would say we should limit it to one or two boards.  At this point we need participants. Maybe there could be some kind of an achievement award for being a "judge."

12. #12 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

smoke wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

Summary

Ozy, I played 6 of them, but some of those were dev only. Am I eligible to vote?

Yeah - i try to get a non-dev game in, but I think it's ok if a couple of your games were while it was in dev, as long as it hasn't changed drastically since the game you were in.

13. #13 / 21
    Standard Member sportlust
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

1. Renaissance Wars

2. Quantum Entanglement

3. Zombie Wars

4. Risk of Thrones

5. Gender gap on wages

14. #14 / 21
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Renaissance Wars

2. Quantum Entanglement

3. Risk of Thrones

4. Zombie Wars

5. AA Tech

15. #15 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

#1) Quantum Entaglement

#2) Zombie Island

#3) Renaissance Wars

#4) Pleasant Ville

#5) The Shire

#6) Gear of thrones
    #7) Gender gap on wages

Axis V Allies Tech - Didn't play.  Not a fan of simulgear yet.

#1) Quantum Entanglement
    The top few are all pretty close, but overall I had to give it to QE.  Super fun twist on the old classic.  Graphics are great and help identify which scenario you are playing on.  Scenarios are clearly thought out.  I wish there was a vision scenario, like basic, but with just vision borders between the world.  IMO, basic scenario is a lot of fun, but would be better if you had a litter better idea what is going on.

#2) Zombie Island
    Yertle makes great maps, and this is no exception.  In fact playing this map reminded me how consistently great Yertle's maps are.  So much that I went back to check out some I never played before.   Once I get some trophies figured out, I'm going to start up some tournaments on old Yertle maps to try them out.

Graphics look nice & are self explanatory.  A bit complicated, but not so much that you can't feel comfortable in a few rounds.  Interesting use of a grid and the way the borders and "continents" are laid out is different enough to lend some interest.  This is a great medium difficulty map.  

#3) Renaissance Wars

If I played this more it might have been ever higher on the rankings.  Going back to look at it before voting, it doesn't look as complicated as I had thought.  I've been feeling like simple games lately, so haven't gotten around to it.  Overall looks like a solid refinement of War of the Roses.

#4) Pleasant Ville

Even though the graphics are simple, I like them & feel like they match the "old board game" feel.  Gameplay seems well thought out.  I wish it had a scenario for smaller #s of seats. It was very hard to get a game started on this map, and tournaments would be basically impossible.
    #5) The Shire

Solid map. I like The Hobbit.  I keep having to flick back to the about page to understand what the special continents do.  Maybe a bit more description on the board itself would help.  Seems slightly unbalanced (the hordes in south farthing seems much easier to start getting bonuses), but I haven't played enough to really say for sure.
    #6) Risk of thrones
    I feel like this map is close to greatness, but it's just too complicated.  And it's not that the rules themselves are too complicated, but more effort needs to be made to convey them to the player. The fact that continents are factories is not clear.  Where is my bonus placed when it is not a city? e.g. The Dothraki Sea.  Changes between scenarios are not clearly listed anywhere.  Is there a 'default' scenario?  Seems like some scenarios are supposed to be variations of others, but it's not clear.  Rules need to be much better explained on the map & in the description.  rivers are too small in some places to be obvious.
    Like I said, I feel like this map is within spitting distance of greatness, but needs a lot of polish.

#7) Gender gap on wages

Another map that has a lot of potential, but needs a little bit of gloss.  I like the idea of making maps that educate or illuminate social issues, but this map needs work.  First of all, the legend on the map explains which colors correspond to which wage gaps, but it should also say how that translates to bonuses.  Also, it is a common problem with USA based maps that the North East is too valuable.  Too many territories able to be defended too easily, especially compared to the rest of the country.  More thought should have been given as to how to ameliorate this issue.  As it is, if you can take the NE, you are almost guaranteed victory.
    It's also not clear to me what is the difference between the various scenarios?  Is it just # of players & # of starting neutral territories?  This should be in the description somewhere.
    -----------------------

I seem to be voting a lot this time based on how clear the map is to the player.  M57 & Yertle both made fairly complicated maps, but they are relatively easy to jump into and figure out. Gender gap and Risk of Thrones just seemed to be missing that.  

Edited Mon 29th Dec 00:12 [history]

16. #16 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1st of all - Thanks to all who voted & all who made maps. 

The winners are:

#1) Renaissance Wars - $100

#2) Zombie Island - $50

#3) Quantum Entanglement - $30

#4) Pleasantville - $10

#5) Risk of Thrones - $10

Congratulations to the winners.  PM Tom to get your prize money.

Edited Wed 7th Jan 00:39 [history]

17. #17 / 21
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Congrats M57!

18. #18 / 21
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: Well done...outside the box but too out here there like some......risky back....baby come back....a rivalry so deep only a master map can break?.....is Risky Back Up?

Yes, it's true. My maps are at least part smoke and mirrors - mostly due to the incredible engine that tom has built. It's no secret that I love to play with factory trickery, and that has served to make up for my mediocre graphic design skills.  And yes, no doubt my evil arch-nemesis lurks.  Uhmm.. Allright.. scratch the 'evil' part.  And let's not discount other active designers like Yertle and Ozyman, whose work is of the highest quality.

But seriously, the site needs more designers - It's already been noted that there's been a fall-off in board production.  We've seen a few potentially new map-makers on the boards recently, and their work looks promising; we can only hope..

Edited Thu 8th Jan 06:50 [history]

19. #19 / 21
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Speaking about new board designers...

I have 4 boards at some point of design, but, it always seems that there is one last thing that is needed that either isn't available as a board designing feature, or, would just take so long to program so many factories to accomplish the desired effect... I really have to get working harder with Ozy to see if his WGAME can accomplish a couple things that would bring some boards to fruition, if he's willing?

Edited Thu 8th Jan 10:43 [history]

20. #20 / 21
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i plan on getting back in the mix again this year. we'll see if time and creativity come into alignment again for that to happen.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)