Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 24
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Coop wrote:

I despise 2 player games.  Mainly because I'm bad at them but I think they lack much strategy, its mostly just dumb luck.

3-7 is just the right number, any more and you only take a turn like once a month.

I agree that 2-player games on standard risk-like boards are subject to a lot of dumb luck rolls.  However, there are a number of decently fair dueling maps out there, some of which are games where skill trumps luck much more so than in the risk-like games. ( Some of us designers specialize in these types of designs.)

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Thu 16th Oct 09:48 [history]

2. #22 / 24
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Coop wrote:

I despise 2 player games.  Mainly because I'm bad at them but I think they lack much strategy, its mostly just dumb luck.

3-7 is just the right number, any more and you only take a turn like once a month.

For me it's 3-player games I despise!  At least past a certain point.

In a 3-player game if one person overwhelms the others, or the other 2 respond to the larger threat and push back and overbalance it so that one of them now takes on the winner then that's fine.

When you get to the point that three players can balance the game then usually it becomes a diplomacy victory and I don't really go for that - I would rather vote to end.

3. #23 / 24
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote:
    Coop wrote:

For me it's 3-player games I despise!  At least past a certain point.

In a 3-player game if one person overwhelms the others, or the other 2 respond to the larger threat and push back and overbalance it so that one of them now takes on the winner then that's fine.

When you get to the point that three players can balance the game then usually it becomes a diplomacy victory and I don't really go for that - I would rather vote to end.

Mostly I agree with you, but to echo M57 - It really depends on the map.

4. #24 / 24
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: With GR I don't break even unless it's a five player game, instead I focus on collecting Championship points( like that comma... Smoke). Each game is a puzzle with a win attainable in many ways. With this thinking all boards are equally challenging. The fastest way to gather the championship points is to play new or less popular boards with a healthy amount of players. Less popular is my motto when it comes to surfing. The more popular spots seem to have more mediocre surfers. They are in the way a lot. I catch more waves down the beach...I have more fun. Keep it fresh... I like the discovery more than the mastery. Less popular does not mean less good or fun.

+1 I would set the bar at 4 player, but my GR isn't as high. I'll only do 2 player on specifically designed boards, and 3 player is touch of death.  

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)