Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #41 / 68
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Chele Nica wrote:

Green has always been my favorite color, but I wish there was a darker shade of green. I often go with navy, blue, or purple instead, but it depends on what other colors I see and what mood I'm in

Some designers don't change the player colors; they just go with the stock colors that come with the Designer. That said, I'm sure there are a few games out there that sport a dark green. On the other hand, I will admit that as a designer I tend to avoid darker colors because they require a white text, which I don't think looks as good on most of my boards.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

2. #42 / 68
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, that makes sense on darker boards

3. #43 / 68
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like choosing blue. I think bright colors like red, orange and yellow come off as being aggressive and are usually associated with danger. Black can come off as dark and mysterious and could also be looked at as a threat.  Blue and purple can come off as suspiciously intuitive but maybe not an immediate threat.  I think the color blue suits me well so I probably will not change it.

4. #44 / 68
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, that makes sense on darker boards

5. #45 / 68
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I use navy or dark blue because it's my favorite color. I only voluntarily deviate from this if I'm starting a series of games on the same unfamiliar board at about the same time (for example somebody started a whole bunch of 4-player games on Total WarGear 2 recently and I chose different colors in the ones that I joined in order to help differentiate the games in my memory).

I don't think I make unconscious judgments based on what color is being played by an opponent, but then I don't guess I would think so even if I did. In my opinion it's more important who's playing, though this can also sometimes get confused. Purple has been mentioned here and it's a great example - several well-known opponents favor purple, and back in the day it was important to double check the player list frequently so as not to get mixed up between, say, a great player like Nikolai or a pushover like weathertop.

I think in that sense the player colors can develop a bit of a personality, but for the most part it comes flavored by the cohort that choose that color. One example of a wide variance between expected and actual threat level came with pink - I anecdotally find that most players that choose pink are newer, or choose it because they feel like they need tricks like 'choose a non-threatening color' in order to compete - but if you got too used to that assumption without checking, Vataro would run you over real good.

So I definitely think the relationship between player and color runs both ways most of the time. For players I know well their color choice certainly seems to influence my perception of them, and vice versa probably more so. So I wonder if over time people begin to associate navy with assholes who think the dice owe them a win, or just plain old psychos - an impression that one certainly might get when firing up a new game on a certain Yertle board.

Been gone a while. You all did a good job holding down the fort.

6. #46 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

associate navy with assholes who think the dice owe them a win, or just plain old psychos

Navy not so much. Red though...

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

7. #47 / 68
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

...and here i thought we were friends ;^)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #48 / 68
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

...and here i thought we were friends ;^)

Hmm.. Nikolai and you are almost dead even in Championship points. 

It can be tricky reading between the lines with asm.  He states that Navy is his favorite color, then proclaims that over time he is coming to suspect that people who play Navy are assholes.  I can't help but notice that all the other lines are in between.

Edited Mon 16th Feb 14:34 [history]

9. #49 / 68
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Navy is my favorite color and I wonder if over time other people suspect a correlation between navy and assholery - totally different relationship there. I don't have to 'suspect' a link.

'Top - I kid because I love!

Edited Mon 16th Feb 20:15 [history]

10. #50 / 68
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I stole asm's navy one game... Not knowingly though, it was just my favourite of the colours available...  Still, it might have seemed like a big piece of assholery from his perspective.  I mean, since he owns the colour any one who steals it from him must be an asshole... yes?

11. #51 / 68
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:

I stole asm's navy one game... Not knowingly though, it was just my favourite of the colours available...  Still, it might have seemed like a big piece of assholery from his perspective.  I mean, since he owns the colour any one who steals it from him must be an asshole... yes?

This could easily be construed as assholery^2. It's bad enough that you prefer the color, but when you go and steal it from some poor asshole..

12. #52 / 68
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

Navy is my favorite color and I wonder if over time other people suspect a correlation between navy and assholery - totally different relationship there. I don't have to 'suspect' a link.

'Top - I kid because I love!

i know, i was just quoting you from the metroid game...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #53 / 68
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: No posts here from either of them, but I know Gimli always took grey and Nikolai always chooses purple. I remember asking Gimli about it once and he replied with something to the effect of grey being a neutral color, sometimes confused with neutrals, etc. no idea why Nik likes purple.

I'll take white on a couple maps just for that reason.

14. #54 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Not no more. {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

15. #55 / 68
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm playing 3 games on Antastic, and my 3 different opponents all chose grey, I'm assuming to try to confuse their opponents on who's enemy and who's neutral. Even Bababalouie chose grey, and I had never seen him deviate from yellow

16. #56 / 68
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The whole thing about having colors that are difficult to differentiate from neutral is a huge pet peeve for me and 100% squarely the fault of the board designers. Particularly when designers fall in love with textures and overlays, attention must be paid to palette and it's something most people never even look at. Which irks me to no end.

I currently have a couple of games where this is incredibly frustrating:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Zombies has a gray whose only discernible difference from neutral is the font color of the troop number is white rather than black - which doesn't help nearly as much as you think - on top of the over-inclusion of textural elements to distinguish territory types - and this is on a gridded map - makes it extremely difficult for me to tell what's going on.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Deadwood has a great-looking color palette that fits the mood of the board but makes territory hover the only real means of figuring out what's happening.

17. #57 / 68
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Here's one that falls into the colors that are similar to neutral.

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/425011

The pink color smess2 used made it so I didn't notice he had the crown for a full round before he eliminated me. I'm assuming no one else noticed (or didn't realize what that meant) until the second round when bmasera took the crown and won the game.

Makes me feel like an idiot.

18. #58 / 68
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well, since you all missed it for a full round, you can console yourself in that everyone must have been feeling the same way in that one!

19. #59 / 68
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Here's one that falls into the colors that are similar to neutral.

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/425011

The pink color smess2 used made it so I didn't notice he had the crown for a full round before he eliminated me. I'm assuming no one else noticed (or didn't realize what that meant) until the second round when bmasera took the crown and won the game.

Makes me feel like an idiot.

Are Raspberry and Cotton Candy too similar?  I found it somewhat challenging to create all colors whose values made them stand out against black text.

20. #60 / 68
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: I did a study in high school on color....the eye is most drawn to orange from what I remember.....

Well that sucks! I generally won't join a game unless orange is available. I've used it so often I can't switch...whenever I am forced to use another color I forget I'm not orange about every 5 seconds. It makes for a very frustrating game. On top of that it's kind of become an identity for me.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)