Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #1 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Using color as a strategy or tactic. 

Discuss.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

2. #2 / 68
    Standard Member Chinnie
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I figured when I started playing here that the bright colours can come off as more of a threat, which is why I still usually go with khaki, sky blue and pink.

Another thing perhaps is in a 3-4 player game to pick a colour that is 'in between' other colours. For example if see one player playing red and the other blue I will go with purple so that I may seem less of a threat because I'm more like them.

The last thing that comes up is that the grey/whitish colours might be effective because they blend in with the neutrals/fog of war.

As a final note. It would make sense to me if there is an effect. However, this effect is probably so small that paying that extra minute of thought on the turns is going to do much more.

3. #3 / 68
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've seen it tactically used by choosing a color that's near the neutral/background color to "hide". i've tried it from time to time, but only thing i noticed was that it only fooled those that weren't paying attention.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm gonna agree with fooling those that don't pay attention. But there have been many times, even for myself, that I tend to see some colors as stronger than others, even if they are in balance. And especially in games with more players. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 68
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

As a counterpoint to one suggestion above:  I pick colors that are different from others.  If I'm in a 6 person game, and there 2 other blues in the game, I don't want to pick a color near theirs because that makes the three of us look like one big color, and therefore a bigger target.  I'd move towards choosing a yellow, for instance.

That also assumes that my default colors (black/grey) are already taken.

6. #6 / 68
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I plck colors for any, none, or all of the above reasons depending on my mood.

I also prefer some colors for some boards.

Sometimes I pick colors that make the board look good considering the other colors that have been picked by my opponents.  If everyone is picking shades of blue - I generally follow the theme.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Tue 15th Apr 17:22 [history]

7. #7 / 68
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I always peak blue because I noticed blue wins more than other colors. 

Wait a minute... Ok, is it only because I am the one playing with blue ? LOL

8. #8 / 68
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I always peak blue because I noticed blue wins more than other colors. 

How very modest of you!!!  :)
    But I hope you're right, because then I can blame my losing streaks on being black and not on my sub-par skill. 

9. #9 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm glad I'm on the only one who has thought about this. 

I know lots of players pick a color and stick to it, which creates a strong identity, but much like Boris the frugal, my sub-par skill makes me choose all the elements as strategically as I can. :)

10. #10 / 68
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I always choose green when possible, which I probably shouldn't since I am green/red color blind, so it makes it difficult playing against red sometimes.

I will tell you that I really do not like players who chose a color that is very close to the neutral grey.  I can only think they do this on purpose to create confusion between their territories and neutral territories.  Very annoying - which I guess is just what they want......

11. #11 / 68
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

I will tell you that I really do not like players who chose a color that is very close to the neutral grey.  I can only think they do this on purpose to create confusion between their territories and neutral territories.  Very annoying - which I guess is just what they want......

me too!  IMO this is a map flaw.  That grey should not be a default color, and I try to remember to remove it whenever I make maps.

12. #12 / 68
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Luckily this guy took the obvious name and hasn't been back in a few years. 

http://www.wargear.net/players/info/Neutral

13. #13 / 68
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

haha.  Great name.

14. #14 / 68
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

I always choose green when possible, which I probably shouldn't since I am green/red color blind, so it makes it difficult playing against red sometimes.

Note to self: Pick red when playing against SquintGnome ;-)

15. #15 / 68
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:  
    But I hope you're right, because then I can blame my losing streaks on being black and not on my sub-par skill. 

Upon re-reading, and taken out of context, that comment could be offensive.  Let me point out that I meant to say "blame my losing streaks on choosing the player color black and not...."

16. #16 / 68
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:

Luckily this guy took the obvious name and hasn't been back in a few years. 

http://www.wargear.net/players/info/Neutral

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/774p1/Clever

In regards to the topic, I normally try and choose Green, but if it's taken then I will sometimes choose another color strategically.

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

17. #17 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:l

...Bored, Bored, bored...

what's striking about that particular thread is how many of you there are that were. 

18. #18 / 68
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:
    Yertle wrote:l

...Bored, Bored, bored...

what's striking about that particular thread is how many of you there are that were. 

That were what?!?!  The suspense is killing me!

19. #19 / 68
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I find that I do pretty well playing purple.

20. #20 / 68
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ever thought about choosing a different color for any reason?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)