Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

http://xkcd.com/977/

For some of the map lovers here. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

2. #2 / 13
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I always go with a globe or Peters, I guess that makes me a hateful clever guy :-/ What are you, ratsy?

3. #3 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'll tell you my least favorite right now is polar stereographic.  But that's just because we've been having trouble getting it to display at work because it's more different than most of the others.

4. #4 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm kind of a Dymaxion guy... but I'm interested in being more into the quincuncial.

And of course, I like my maps old.

I just recently me a guy that had a depth chart for the great bear lake from the 1900's. We poured over that map for a couple of hours. Good times. :)

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 13
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Pseudo related :

My wife comes from a tiny town in NW Iowa.  Her dad, who passed many years ago, was a farmer, but also worked for the city planning office.  We were going through a bunch of his things that her mom gave us, and we found an original plat of survey map of the entire town from the early 90's that is really cool.

Being from a big city, and having traveled a lot around the world, you get used to looking at new maps of big cities/familiar places.  You get used to looking at giant maps of big cities or of states when travelling.  And you (at least I did) forget that even small towns need maps for their local government use.  Us big city types sometimes mistakenly assume that all urban planning decisions and land disputes in a farm town in rural Iowa are decided over a bottle of whiskey, in the bed of a pickup, in the parking lot of the local high school football game.

Anyway, my wife probably would have thrown it out, but I really liked the map so I framed it and it's hanging in my home office.

And in more related news: for map preferences, I prefer Google Earth
    1) It's proportions are as accurate as a globe (something that frustrates me about most map projections) but....
    2) You can actually zoom in and see a lot more detail of the landscape and topography and...
    3) by using Google Earth you are not known as "that douche who is always carrying a globe."

6. #6 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

3) by using Google Earth you are not known as "that douche who is always carrying a globe."

..but if you use Google Earth, isn't that in fact what you are doing?

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

7. #7 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I knew that image had been posted here before..  Here's an interesting thread from back in '12.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sat 2nd May 09:21 [history]

8. #8 / 13
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I knew that image had been posted here before..  Here's an interesting thread from back in '12.

I've always loved maps, that's some cool stuff...

9. #9 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

My wife comes from a tiny town in NW Iowa.  

sweet more iowa blood! Where at? 

I'm from the NE/E side of Iowa... 

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

all urban planning decisions and land disputes in a farm town in rural Iowa are decided over a bottle... 

the contents of said bottle and location vary, but this much is true. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 13
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

sweet more iowa blood! Where at? 

Sibley.  
    Halfway between Rock Rapids and Lake Okoboji.
    Small enough that when we drive there in a car with GPS, the map literally goes blank when we exit the highway for her town because it's not large enough to have the roads included in the GPS package. 

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

all urban planning decisions and land disputes in a farm town in rural Iowa are decided over a bottle...

the contents of said bottle and location vary, but this much is true. 

Might be ture, but no matter the contents, you can bet money that it will have the word Whiskey somewhere on the label.  It'll never say Galliano or Schnapps.

11. #11 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Came across another interesting map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4u3MEDg8Zs

This needs to be recreated.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

12. #12 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How about this one:

http://thegreatglobe.com/globe-project/

It's going to be 420 (hehehe - wonder what they were smoking when they came up with this idea) ft in diameter when completed (if it ever is!).

13. #13 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

How about this one:

http://thegreatglobe.com/globe-project/

It's going to be 420 (hehehe - wonder what they were smoking when they came up with this idea) ft in diameter when completed (if it ever is!).

Get them kiddies working! {#emotions_dlg.razz}

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)