213 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Since there seems to have been a lot of advances in our game engine I am going to re-ask a topic brought up a while ago.

I would like to add a scenario to my board 'AA World Board' where it would be one vs one.  One player plays the Axis countries and one player plays the Allied countries, the same as the board game Axis and Allies.  Is it possible to do any of the following now:

1. Have a five country/seat game where one player take turns for Japan and Germany and one for UK, US, and Russia.

2. Have only two players and two sides (Axis and Allies) but allow placement on capitals commensurate with the territory owned by that country - imagining that the Allies, for example, are made up of US, UK and russia. 

In the simplest sense, automatically place 25 troop on Russia territory, 36 on East US, and 30 on UK for example, but this would need to change as the bonus changes.

In the next level of complexity, all say 36 tropps that can be placed on either Eastern or Western US, but not in Russia or UK.  The final level of complexity would be to track what each country takes in bonus and allow them to place only on their territories. 

Setting up two sides with Axis versus Allies as things are now would allow the Allies to place all their units in Russia and avoid the need for the Allies setting up a supply chain to help the Russians.

If you know what the board game is like, you will know what I am trying to do, if not I will need to add more explanations.  Just throwing it out there to begin a discourse.

2. #2 / 14
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There is no way to do that. Sounds like a fun feature request though.

The closest you could get is to have the bonuses be factory placed instead of in hand.

If you wanted some flexibility in "placement" you could have bonuses for each continent placed in an extra territory that can then fortify only to that continent (that would probably work better for turn-based than simulgear though)

3. #3 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

1. Have a five country/seat game where one player take turns for Japan and Germany and one for UK, US, and Russia.

Curently, the only way to do this would be for each player to have multiple accounts, which I suppose would fall within the spirit of the site rules as long as the game was private.  Of course, the games wouldn't "count."

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the input so far.  Let's forget about option 1, as M57 mentioned that is not viable at this point.

Let's think more about what Korrum mentioned.  We can have bonuses placed in an off board factory that can then fortify only to selected territories.  From this as a basis, how can you set the factory to distribute the overall bonus the way we want, can you set each factory as a % of overall bonus? Can we link the off board factory to distinct territories?

Here is a link to the board that I want to add the scenario to so you can get a feel for the play as it is now...sorry can't add the link, the Board is AA World Board

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I wonder if Tom couldn't set us up with multiple account ids (2 dummy ids per player) for this express purpose - something like normalidAA1 and normalidAA2 where normalid=your current id. It would be very cool to have an A&A tourney which would really be 1v1.

The dummy ids could be set up to only be allowed to play certain maps, thereby removing the ability to abuse the ids in other games.

6. #6 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hey Thingol, I like that idea, the extra accounts would be automatically created and since the naming convention indicates who the player is the accounts could not be used for cheating in normal games, you could only use the accounts for team games where you are the team.

How do we ask Tom if this is possible, do we put it on the request list?

7. #7 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

Hey Thingol, I like that idea, the extra accounts would be automatically created and since the naming convention indicates who the player is the accounts could not be used for cheating in normal games, you could only use the accounts for team games where you are the team.

How do we ask Tom if this is possible, do we put it on the request list?

Make sure it's completely thought through..

For instance, I'm thinking the dummy accounts should accrue no games counts , wins, points, etc. but the dummy's time could maybe count towards the master account's average turn time, boots, etc..

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Make sure it's completely thought through..

For instance, I'm thinking the dummy accounts should accrue no games counts , wins, points, etc. but the dummy's time could maybe count towards the master account's average turn time, boots, etc..

I'm thinking the dummy accounts accrue nothing. No points, wins, losses, turn time or anything.  Now that I think about it, being a computer programmer by trade, this might be quite a chore for Tom to implement...but I think it's worth asking in any regard.

9. #9 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

or that all the points/wins/etc from the dummy accts get laid on the original acct....since they're the one playin the dummy accts anyway. should be easier to code up too.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

My thoughts are - the dummy accounts would only be allowed to partake in games that the original acct is playing and this would be for tournaments only (not regular open games).

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

My thoughts are - the dummy accounts would only be allowed to partake in games that the original acct is playing and this would be for tournaments only (not regular open games).

Why only tournaments and not regular games?  ..don't both coth count towards your Global rating and H-Ratings? And even if they don't - the whole point of the request is for a player to play a single team on a board that requires multiple players on at least one team ..in  regular game.

12. #12 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

agreed they could only be in games with reg account, but i could see open games too (as these are only for specific boards as is...)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Right, I was just thinking in terms of rolling out incrementally and in terms of encouraging tourney play.

14. #14 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I also agree that it should be for normal and tourney games, my original motivation was to have an Axis and Allies style board where you can play normal games where the seats would be filled as follows:

Axis team:

Germany = Squintgnome

Japan = Squintgnome-02 (dummy acct for Squintgnome)

Allies team:

Russia = Thingol

UK = Thingol-02

US = Thingol-03

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)