203 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 19
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have not played any horde games and cannot find a lot of info on the site.

I get a general idea of how it works but I am not sure if the concept is applied the same across boards or is every board different.

2. #2 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Though there is no reason that it should have to, I am not aware a WarGear board that doesn't apply the 'hordes' production paradigm across the entire board.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sat 28th Sep 19:41 [history]

3. #3 / 19
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hordes Style Bonus is when you get a bonus (usually +1) for owning a territory, and all the territories connected to that one as well (or all the surrounding territories as well)

If you lose one of the surrounding territories, you no longer get the bonus. 

It's a simple mechanic that encourages the player to amass contiguous territories to create strength. 

As with all boards on this site, everyone is different.  But if a designer has claimed an area or board to have hordes! style bonuses the mechanic will work the same: Hold a territory and all it surrounding territories.

To m57:

Escherdiles uses the hordes mechanic but only for the lizards that are 2 dimensional (not the 3d ones), the rest of the board is continent style bonuses.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet
    Edited Sat 28th Sep 20:02 [history]

4. #4 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You indicated that you understood the mechanics of hordes, but in addition to ratsy's description, I'll offer that the wiki also has a detailed description..

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:other_continents:other_continents#hordes

Good to know about Escherdiles.. thanks ratsy

Edited Sat 28th Sep 20:23 [history]

5. #5 / 19
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Damn. Nice job on that wiki page. {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

6. #6 / 19
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks to both of you, I did see the wiki page, but I was not certain, for example, if the bonus was always +1 or could it be different and how you would figure it out on the Board Explorer if it was not noted in the Description page.

7. #7 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah - It pretty much originated as an ad hoc term and has since morphed into a general descriptor.  I'd say that both +1 and across board implementation is implied unless noted otherwise.

8. #8 / 19
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I can't think of any boards that don't have +1, but it doesn't *have* to be -

Yertle has a couple boards where the HORDES! is within continental boundaries - Asheron's gear and that Isreal board  and 7 kingdoms -

9. #9 / 19
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Realistically, if you have anything more than a +1 bonus the amount of armies you get each turn gets waaay out of hand really fast!

10. #10 / 19
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

think there are a number of boards that do a partial and/or selective Hordes-style, a few off the top of my head: Escherdiles (already mentioned), Of Kings and Men, Pangea and Panth...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 19
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think hordes of north america also does the hordes per area thing.

12. #12 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

Realistically, if you have anything more than a +1 bonus the amount of armies you get each turn gets waaay out of hand really fast!

Throwing down the gauntlet are we?  ;)

You would think that the Anarchy production paradigm gets out of hand, but it just creates larger stacks all around the board.  It ends up playing very much like regular Risk with only a few tactical adjustments - that and it requires players to have a better handle on how to handle the probabilities involved with playing larger stacks.

13. #13 / 19
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    ratsy wrote:

Throwing down the gauntlet are we?  ;)

You would think that the Anarchy production paradigm gets out of hand, but it just creates larger stacks all around the board.  It ends up playing very much like regular Risk with only a few tactical adjustments - that and it requires players to have a better handle on how to handle the probabilities involved with playing larger stacks.

The key that makes Anarchy work is that production shows up through factories on territories with production.  If the same troop production showed up "in hand" to place as you wish, then the dynamics would be very different and much worse.

Most of the Hordes style boards give you production in hand.

14. #14 / 19
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote: ...the probabilities involved with playing larger stacks...

And the important information is contained directly in the post.  The larger the stack, the more favorable for the attacker....

Anyhow... if you own one territory surrounded = +1.  Most times you own another terrirtory surrounded = +2 +1... then alot of territories surrounded = +3 +2+1.

I'm not mathelete, but some of these guys are. That gets really crazy with not alot of territories.

Edited Sat 5th Oct 01:40 [history]

15. #15 / 19
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:
    M57 wrote: ...the probabilities involved with playing larger stacks...

And the important information is contained directly in the post.  The larger the stack, the more favorable for the attacker....

Anyhow... if you own one territory surrounded = +1.  Most times you own another terrirtory surrounded = +2 +1... then alot of territories surrounded = +3 +2+1.

I'm not mathelete, but some of these guys are. That gets really crazy with not alot of territories.

I'm not sure what you mean ratsy - In a 'standard' hordes game, there is only one way to surround a territory, hence only +1 per territory.  Yes, holding adjacent territories increases the chances that you will collect additional hordes bonuses, but they will never be more than +1 per territory

But your post has given me an idea for a hordes modification that should up the ante just a bit, but not as fast as making it a simple +2 per hordes territory.

16. #16 / 19
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    ratsy wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean ratsy

Yeah, I met with my Dad. We had a good time. ...I'm not sure I knew what I meant...  

I think the point was this: With hordes, You need to only take a small number of territories to increase your level of bonus, which makes them really powerful.  

17. #17 / 19
    Standard Member Luieuil
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

I think the point was this: With hordes, You need to only take a small number of territories to increase your level of bonus, which makes them really powerful.  

True.

But horde style bonusses are also hard to defend. The fastest way to accumulate armies is also the fastest way to lose them. A fine balance between growing and defending is key in winning horde-style games.

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter" - Winston Churchill

18. #18 / 19
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Zombies

I use partial hordes on this map.  

19. #19 / 19
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The Riskiest Catch uses +2 hordes, and the ship territories are not required for hordes bonuses.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/The+Riskiest+Catch

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)