2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #1 / 67
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

For now perhaps this thread could serve as a place for general announcements regarding the Wiki.

For instance..

• Announce work done or needing to be done.
    • Offering to work on something
    • Suggestions regarding organization/layout/priorities, etc..
    • General questions regarding how to set up and edit things - or perhaps these last two should be a different thread?

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Fri 9th Aug 15:28 [history]

2. #2 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I just entered an overview of the Basics of Factories, with the beginning designer in mind, but also hopefully in a way that makes it accessible to a curious player.

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_workshops_and_tutorials:by_topic:factories:factories&#the_basics

It includes a very down and dirty example typical factory being made.

Not covered.. Stuff you can do with factories.

Edited Fri 9th Aug 15:30 [history]

3. #3 / 67
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I saw your factories page in the recent changes on the wiki.  It looks really good.   How long did it take you to put that together?

4. #4 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I saw your factories page in the recent changes on the wiki.  It looks really good.   How long did it take you to put that together?

At least a couple hours - I'm still figuring this out, and I figured making a table would help get my wiki-chops together.

I looked at Ed's post and decided that it was too technical for beginners so I decided to start from scratch - although I did end up using his very nicely worded short definitions for the factory types.

Edited Fri 9th Aug 17:21 [history]

5. #5 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

As I started to make entries to the "Before Starting you First Board" page,

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=making_your_first_board

and I'm finding myself putting in a lot of links back to the on-site tutorials, which are generally well-done and fairly extensive...

Should those pages be migrated over to the wiki? - they do need to be updated..

6. #6 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yes

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

yes

Yikes!

8. #8 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

OK - I've already started.  I'll migrate all relevant Designer Tutorial pages over and work them into the existing organizational scheme of things.

9. #9 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

yes

Yikes!

LOL. didn't figure they were going to be easy or quick, but eventually i think they should be migrated to make a cohesive tutorial.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

whoa, we have an 'Intel Reliability' option?! How'd that one get by me? -- Duh, "proposed" features. maybe it's time for a beer. or food.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Sat 10th Aug 15:22 [history]

11. #11 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

whoa, we have an 'Intel Reliability' option?! How'd that one get by me? -- Duh, "proposed" features. maybe it's time for a beer. or food.

Yeah - As I recall, the result of a nightmare following a night of debauchery and maybe a weird fried banana dessert. I dug it out of the archives and threw it up on the wiki to prove that no idea is too ..well, whatever..

12. #12 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Can someone take a look at this page and tell me if it works ..makes sense?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:creating_board_images&#give_your_board_image_texture

Like - Dislike?

I know it's really basic - and possibly ove- explains things, but the idea is to make it accessible to potential designers that are considering taking the plunge.

Edited Sat 10th Aug 18:18 [history]

13. #13 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:creating_board_images&#give_your_board_image_texture

Like - Dislike?

I know it's really basic - and possibly ove- explains things, but the idea is to make it accessible to potential designers that are considering taking the plunge.

Like. Works well on first glance.

Couple minor things:
    1- put a parenthetical after end of intro paragraph stating what designer you're using for images.

2- 'keep fill map simple' is missing a period in second line between 'board image' & Including.

3- Can you make (or find) a three layer cross-view (thinking like three planes in 3D about to be stacked on one another)? Think this will help visually explain layering. If you can't let me know, I'll work on it.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

14. #14 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

3- Can you make (or find) a three layer cross-view (thinking like three planes in 3D about to be stacked on one another)? Think this will help visually explain layering. If you can't let me know, I'll work on it.

I don't think I'm capable of making such a visual.  I'm trying to be consistent with the image..   But I'll look for a graphic that is representational.

15. #15 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Like - Dislike?

Like. Works well on first glance.

Couple minor things:
    1- put a parenthetical after end of intro paragraph stating what designer you're using for images.

2- 'keep fill map simple' is missing a period in second line between 'board image' & Including.

I will fix these, but in the future you are welcome to edit these types of things - even with a heavy hand.  These pages do not belong to anyone.

16. #16 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

I think I did it!! Woohoo..

It's at the very bottom of the tutorial - let me know if that's what you had in mind.

17. #17 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Wow!. That *really* looks good.  Nice idea WT & great execution M57!

It's hard to believe how much is on the wiki after just two days.  Mostly due to your amazing efforts M57. 

18. #18 / 67
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

I think I did it!! Woohoo..

It's at the very bottom of the tutorial - let me know if that's what you had in mind.

Nicely done! I had somewhat attempted that a few years ago when working on the Dual Images Help page but never got it to work right.  Great job!

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

19. #19 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like the way you have been using 'code blocks' to mark off editorial questions about the page.  I added this to the style guide to encourage more of it:

* Comments/discussion of page content should happen in page. Preface your comment with two spaces to format it as a 'Code Block'.

But - I was thinking about how wikipedia/mediawiki has a 'talk' page for each wiki page. 

This talk page from the 'Board Games' wikipedia article is an example of how this is useful (scroll down to the discussion, past all the wikiproject blocks which are irrelevant to our situation):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Board_game

I was thinking how dokuwiki doesn't have talk pages, but then, I figured we could just make a Talk: namespace to simulate talk pages.  Each page at X:Y:Z would have a talk page at Talk:X:Y:Z.  They wouldn't get created by hand.

Take a look at the bottom of the wiki usage page, for an example of how this would work:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki_usage&#useful_pages

We could still use the code blocks for now, but for longer discussions, and as the wiki gets more polished, I think talk pages would be useful.

Edited Sun 11th Aug 01:33 [history]

20. #20 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I like the way you have been using 'code blocks' to mark off editorial questions about the page.  I added this to the style guide to encourage more of it:

* Comments/discussion of page content should happen in page. Preface your comment with two spaces to format it as a 'Code Block'.

Yeah - I'm definitely winging it.  I have no idea what the standard convention is, but that seems to work. I agree that in the long run it's not a great place for comments/discussion.  

I was thinking how dokuwiki doesn't have talk pages, but then, I figured we could just make a Talk: namespace to simulate talk pages.  Each page at X:Y:Z would have a talk page at Talk:X:Y:Z.  They wouldn't get created by hand.

I like your idea, although it'll be interesting to see how the wiki vs. forums vs. talkpageidea works out.

Question: Why not X:Y:Z:talk? One way all the talk pages are together on the site map - but the other way they are close to their parent page.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)