206 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Standard Member Americanese
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I just want to vent and I hope some people out there agree, but I hate when people give you advice on how to play and you don't ask for it. Even more so, when they are new to the site and ranked a lot lower than you are. Its like a freshman telling you how to do.... anything.

Edited Fri 26th Apr 15:55 [history]

2. #2 / 18
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A lot of players seem to think if you aren't doing exactly what they think you should be doing it is because you must have no idea how to play this game.   A lot of those people are kind of dicks.

3. #3 / 18
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Considering most of your ranks are less than 1000, the noobs will be higher ranked than you.. :p

Off Topic!

4. #4 / 18
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Unasked for advice is annoying.  Absolutely.  There are fewer faster ways to tick people off than to criticize them.  That said, openness to carefully considering advice helps people improve.  People who improve, tend to become good.  Therefore people who are good tend to be people who are open to carefully considering constructive criticism.

I have no idea if the unsolicited advice that you got was any good.  But your rating is only 1286.  If you are interested in improving, there have to be major improvements that you could make.

5. #5 / 18
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I think you should evaluate based on the context. There are some top players who I will automatically listen to and think about their advice.

There are also others who clearly use it as part of their strategy. "Why are you doing X?!? You should be doing Y!?!" or "You're playing wrong because..." When Y may be the absolute last thing you want to do and definitely the best thing for said player.  I know at least one player who wins games this way.

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

6. #6 / 18
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Agreed. I play fast which leads to a lot of mistakes in play, but I play for fun and to blow off steam. I like advice from players that are more experienced than me, but if we are playing a quick game and you are a mediocre player at best or brand new to the site, give it some time before you start acting like Master Yoda

7. #7 / 18
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

also this isn't a serious complaint, do whatever you like (which you will). I just thought I'd throw my 0.02$ in.

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

I think you should evaluate based on the context. There are some top players who I will automatically listen to and think about their advice.

There are also others who clearly use it as part of their strategy. "Why are you doing X?!? You should be doing Y!?!" or "You're playing wrong because..." When Y may be the absolute last thing you want to do and definitely the best thing for said player.  I know at least one player who wins games this way.

If you were responding to me, I said "carefully considering constructive criticism" because part of the necessary care is deciding whether this criticism actually makes sense to follow.

That said, anyone who I notice trying to give me bad advice to improve their odds of winning, is going to earn negative attention from me. :-)

9. #9 / 18
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Americanese wrote:

Agreed. I play fast which leads to a lot of mistakes in play, but I play for fun and to blow off steam. I like advice from players that are more experienced than me, but if we are playing a quick game and you are a mediocre player at best or brand new to the site, give it some time before you start acting like Master Yoda

Yeah.

There are also a lot of people out there who think they are good because they've never encountered competent play.  A lot of them will have unwarranted arrogance.

Distinguishing these cases is a useful skill to develop. :-)

10. #10 / 18
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks Btilly. 

11. #11 / 18
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, 'real good advice' there btilly.  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

12. #12 / 18
    Standard Member KillDawg
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Always place your troops to the front.

Always use just under half your troops for defense.

Try as many new boards as you can especially if you see the top ranked player in it.

Never attack with 2 troops.

Always attack with more then the amount of troops defending.

Never complain in a forum to blow of steam.

Never comment on my postings.

Always *ask for a magic weapon* in forum games

Never skip your turn.

Never use never or always in a sentance. It's almost always wrong and you'll never get taken seriously.

Never attack KillDawg and always let him win.

... good day.

Never let the lust for power surpass the need for purpose.
    Edited Fri 26th Apr 23:21 [history]

13. #13 / 18
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I agree with all of those & none of those.

14. #14 / 18
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Be sure to always "Never let the lust for power surpass the need for purpose."

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

15. #15 / 18
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

KillDawg wrote:

Try as many new boards as you can especially if you see the top ranked player in it.

Never skip your turn.

Never use never or always in a sentance. It's almost always wrong and you'll never get taken seriously.

... good day.

I don't appreciate that.

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:
    itsnotatumor wrote:

If you were responding to me, I said "carefully considering constructive criticism" because part of the necessary care is deciding whether this criticism actually makes sense to follow.

That said, anyone who I notice trying to give me bad advice to improve their odds of winning, is going to earn negative attention from me. :-)

Not a response, except maybe as opening agreement with your statement.

Just throwing in a little extra personal experience, and yeah I can't stand the guy I'm talking about. Bitterest exchanges I've had on here, but beating him and winning the map doing what he was saying not to do made me feel better.

{#emotions_dlg.devil}

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

17. #17 / 18
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What's war without an enemy? Wink

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

18. #18 / 18
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

KillDawg wrote:

Never skip your turn.

... good day.

And, most importantly, never deal in absolutes :)

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)