177 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12345   (5 in total)
  1. #61 / 89
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

They're moderated. There are a few of us with infinite cosmic powers, but I won't out anyone else. Our real goal is just to keep things working, not have to deal with personal disputes; which is why this thread went on for months without any kind of official intervention. Most issues just play themselves out.  It's a testament to the community that we've gone all these years without A) anything really having to be moderated to the point that anyone even knew there were moderators and B) not knowing that the thread lock function is broken.

I only finally jumped in because there are a few posts from community members in the last go around suggesting that this isn't the place for an ongoing discussion about personal interaction problems (which is correct). If people are annoyed enough to speak up about it, its time to stop.

Anyway, we'll call this an official request to stop posting about this on the technicality that the admin tools aren't all working right now. Otherwise, I'll have to expose that the delete thread function is probably broken, too.

In your Face!

Edited Thu 13th Jun 08:10 [history]

2. #62 / 89
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm impressed!  Have to think about quitting the site now..  or at least not participating in the forums.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 13th Jun 10:40 [history]

3. #63 / 89
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Posting in a locked thread.  "That's a paddling"

I apparently read this last night 3 times and could not for the life of me figure out why you were bringing up canoeing.  This morning (with less of a beer-addled mind) I finally got the reference.

Well played, Ozy.

4. #64 / 89
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I'm impressed!  Have to think about quitting the site now..  or at least not participating in the forums.

because some people are moderators?

5. #65 / 89
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It was about transparency -- I didn't know they were moderators..  Actually I kind of knew about Yertle, but not Cramchakle.

6. #66 / 89
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Administrator would be a better term than moderator. My granted powers are for making stickies and adjusting permanent information like the people in the dev or review volunteer lists, and responding quickly to posts that might be illegal or otherwise catastrophically detrimental to the site.

I have no privilege to discipline or modify posts in any official capacity. Attempting to lock this one was admittedly an overstep of anything tom or I ever discussed, so really, there was never previously anything to disclose in terms of having a title or position. While I feel the decision to approach this thread was made with the site's best interest in mind, it isn't catastrophically detrimental to the site to have attempts at public shaming and general crybaby behavior. I should have discussed stretching my use of the tools prior to doing it.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion and the overreach. Not sorry for trying to put a stop to the behavior.

I've already sent some things to tom so that we can address "me."

In your Face!

7. #67 / 89
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

For abuse of administrative privileges you don't have:

"That's a paddling"  {#emotions_dlg.rofl}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #68 / 89
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

For abuse of administrative privileges you don't have:

"That's a paddling"  {#emotions_dlg.rofl}

No one ever said I don't have them....

In your Face!

9. #69 / 89
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It would be nice to have some clarification from Tom. I've never heard anything back, ever.

All I am doing now with this thread is posting examples where I feel MD exhibits behaviour which I believe are against the rules of the website. If he didn't do them, I wouldn't post them.

MD's final move in the game I just posted, is clearly a suicide run against me. In isolation that wouldn't seem like much, but considering the number of occasions this as happened, I feel justified in voicing my frustration.

Off Topic!

10. #70 / 89
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There's nothing formally spelled out in the rules about taking a pre-game enmity into a game and deliberately sabotaging another player but it clearly constitutes unsportsmanlike behavior. However it's pretty ambiguous based on the evidence I've seen so I'm not clear that a ban is the correct course of action.

So, going forward I've blocked you both from joining each other's games. Hopefully that will be an end to the matter.

11. #71 / 89
    Standard Member NewlyIdle
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Interesting.  What happens if they both join a round-robin tourney?  Or is that also blocked?

12. #72 / 89
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

Administrator would be a better term than moderator. My granted powers are for making stickies and adjusting permanent information like the people in the dev or review volunteer lists, and responding quickly to posts that might be illegal or otherwise catastrophically detrimental to the site.

I have no privilege to discipline or modify posts in any official capacity. Attempting to lock this one was admittedly an overstep of anything tom or I ever discussed, so really, there was never previously anything to disclose in terms of having a title or position. While I feel the decision to approach this thread was made with the site's best interest in mind, it isn't catastrophically detrimental to the site to have attempts at public shaming and general crybaby behavior. I should have discussed stretching my use of the tools prior to doing it.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion and the overreach. Not sorry for trying to put a stop to the behavior.

Just for the record, until I saw this I was convinced that you'd just done a *really* good job of trolling and pretending to have authority that you never had.  And I thought it was hilarious, particularly the bit where you said that the lock button didn't work, and you didn't want it to continue to the point where you had to find out that the delete button didn't work.

But it seems that you were serious.

Of course if you were trolling, then you've now done a *really* good job of it...

13. #73 / 89
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

There's nothing formally spelled out in the rules about taking a pre-game enmity into a game and deliberately sabotaging another player but it clearly constitutes unsportsmanlike behavior. However it's pretty ambiguous based on the evidence I've seen so I'm not clear that a ban is the correct course of action.

So, going forward I've blocked you both from joining each other's games. Hopefully that will be an end to the matter.

Thank you a MILLION times :D

This is all I ever asked for, Tom, you are awesome.

Off Topic!

14. #74 / 89
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote:

Just for the record, until I saw this I was convinced that you'd just done a *really* good job of trolling and pretending to have authority that you never had.  And I thought it was hilarious, particularly the bit where you said that the lock button didn't work, and you didn't want it to continue to the point where you had to find out that the delete button didn't work.

But it seems that you were serious.

Of course if you were trolling, then you've now done a *really* good job of it...

I was fooled as well.  It turns out Cramchakle has some moderating powers. I have suggested that moderators should be identified in the "Forum Titles" right above their profile pics.

15. #75 / 89
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

As this has become a conversation of moderating....my 2 cents....this being by and large a very mature community anything "moderated" I would think would either be very stupid (i.e. "I don't think girls should be allowed on WG") or clearly flagged as finally being silly (the above).

Moderation as it has stood in the two years  I've been a long time listener and infrequent poster = non-issue.

16. #76 / 89
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Participating in discussion without paying for Wargear. Thats a paddling. 

17. #77 / 89
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:

Participating in discussion without paying for Wargear. Thats a paddling. 

Nope, that's a night in the box.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

18. #78 / 89
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I was fooled as well.  It turns out Cramchakle has some moderating powers. I have suggested that moderators should be identified in the "Forum Titles" right above their profile pics.

It's in the works. And hopefully will never matter again.

In your Face!

19. #79 / 89
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Re: moderators - just to be completely open they have the following 'powers':

1. Press the moderate button which marks a post as 'Moderated' and means the content is not visible.
    2. Rename a thread
    3. Delete a thread
    4. Move a thread between forums
    5. Edit posts - but it will say 'Edited by xxxx' if that happens.

*Yertle abusing power*

Edited Sat 15th Jun 02:05 [history]

20. #80 / 89
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

NewlyIdle wrote:

Interesting.  What happens if they both join a round-robin tourney?  Or is that also blocked?

The blocking doesn't apply to tournaments.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)