216 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is the place to vote for the Escher/Tessellations map making competition.  Details are in this thread (copy & paste link):

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/3090p1

The only requirement to vote is you have to play each of the boards at least once.  Then to cast your vote, post here with your top 3 favorite boards ranked.  Once you vote, you can't change your vote. 

Deadline for votes: April 30, 2013

Here are the boards:

Please keep all other discussion out of this thread.  If you have any questions PM me or post them in the thread linked above.

Only post votes in this thread, feel free to give your review of the boards or why you voted in the order you did, but please use the other threads for discussion of boards.  ALL OTHER POSTS WILL BE DELETED!

Edited Sun 31st Mar 21:46 [history]

2. #2 / 9
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Escherdiles

2. Hexgear - Space Pirates

3. Triforce Power

Escherdiles looks beautiful, strictly adheres to the theme, will never stalemate is fun to play, and uses varied aspects of the designer features. I like it the best.

I love the concept in Hexgear-Space Pirates. I like the names of the territories and continents, the isometric feel of it, overall beauty of the board and the unique troop accumulation method. It's huge, and epic. 

Triforce power is third because it kinda adheres to another theme imo. Otherwise, it's a great little board, awesome balance, quick game play and a fun overall concept! 

All of these submissions are awesome boards though - I tip my hat to the talented designers out there. =:-)

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 9
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Overall I find these boards confusing, but maybe I'm easily confused. :-)

1. Triforce Power.  Very beautiful and quick.  I may be biased because I've been lucky on this board, but I enjoy it.

2. Hex.  I hesitate to vote for this because conceptually it is so much not a wargear game.  But it is well-executed, fun, and pushes the limits of the engine.  I just wish that more people played it.

3. Esherdiles.  I would have to play several more games to understand the strategy.  But it seemed very tactically rich, and attractive to look at.

4. #4 / 9
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:

Overall I find these boards confusing, but maybe I'm easily confused. :-)

Not just you. :)

I had a hard time narrowing it down to just 3, but here goes:

1. Escherdiles - My favorite thematically and graphically. Interesting combination of bonus structures. Some confusing borders, but overall very fun.

2. Hex - Graphics are a little harsh, and I stink at it, but a great strategy game (with scenarios too!).

3. Kensington - I like the claustrophobic feel of this board for some reason.

5. #5 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This was a hard vote for me.  I really thought every board was good in different ways

1. Hexgear - I had a lot of fun playing this, and I have found large maps harder to make.  Cool graphics.  I like when maps use view borders to provide an in between light/medium fog. 

2. Kensington - This was just a lot of fun to play. I thought I would not like the one-way borders, but they work here. 

3. Hex - Great board.  I had to take some off because it is not an original concept, or it would be even higher.

Escherdilles -I like the gameplay, but didn't really like the way borders/continents were done.

TriForce Power - Just to small for me. 

Lizard Tesselations - Standard hordes with a couple of scenarios to round it out.

6. #6 / 9
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

been really swamped last few days. i'll be voting; hopefully right away in the morning.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

been really swamped last few days. i'll be voting; hopefully right away in the morning.

I'm going to tally votes this weekend, so anyone who gets in before then I will count.

8. #8 / 9
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

First I'd like to echo what was said above! This was a great round of designs, there's not a single board that I won't play again.

1. Kensington -
    yes i know i'm voting for my board first, and while i usually refrain from doing this on principle; it's simply the one i think i'll play the most in the future - between it's semi-unique, one-way borders and propensity for both short & long games on a relatively small board.

2. HexGear -
    I normally stay away from the really large maps because they're so damn hard to win if behind early. This one isn't like that, there's so many choices to make anyone can come back. Its also somewhat simplistic, or at least straightforward. Many boards recently have tended to add so much complication, i'm tending for the more simple. I put this up there with Alpha's Rise of the Chimps in great epic boards.

3. Triforce Power -
    I did just say i'm tending for the more simple? This board seems so simple, but very difficult to master.  Kudos Yertle, you've come out of semi-retirement (it seems) with a winner!

Honorable Mentions -

Escherdiles: This is a VERY beautiful board. Hands down if my votes were based on how closely the board looks to a Escher/Tessellation, this would have no question of winning. It is also somewhat fun. I am a bit confused on some of the tactics the borders require of a player. I think this is the only thing that kept it out of my top three.

Hex: Great board; yes it's based on an existing game, but how many of these strategy boards are not?! I hope I can find a way to flawlessly implement my Kensington board-game scenario into the wargear machine as well as you have with this one.

Lizard Tessellations: Everything that i think Assassin wanted to be (sorry M57). A tessellating board that is able to be played in so many ways. I look forward to taking top spot on this board some day.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #9 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Final results tallied here (please feel free to check I transferred your vote correctly).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjtIsJkyopekdDVjcEZBZnc0ZUFJWkppMDVUTHlJb3c&usp=sharing

I get the winners:

1. Escherdiles
    2. Hex Gear
    3. Kensington

Please contact Tom to claim your prizes.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)