205 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 30
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I got tired of watching Vicktorialynn and lambofgo1970 start one after another non-team realtime games and play them as a team.  After I publicly and privately called them out on this and they refused to acknowledge my posts, I took the preemptive measure of joining their games with my own and another username I created.   Surprise, surprise, with my two players against their one, I was able to easily eliminate them.   Gosh, I must be a brilliant risk strategist or fiendishly clever in my exploitation of the alliance concept.  After eliminating them, I terminated the game or surrendered to the remaining other player.   I will humbly accept whatever punishment is merited for my transgressions. 

Alliances are part of the game, so I'm not sure they did anything illegal by wargear's rules,  but playing game after game as a team from the start of the game is, at the very least, poor sportsmanship and outside the intent of the alliance principle.    And, by the way, it is clear from reviewing their games that this is not simply a case of some friends playing together and sub-consciously tending to favor each other.    

Several of us posted to their profiles as warnings to others, but who checks all opponent's profiles before joining a game?  Plus, they could delete those posts.  So, I'm not sure what effective  mechanism we have to warn other players about this.   

2. #2 / 30
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Alliances are part of the game

Yes.

>playing game after game as a team from the start of the game is, at the very least, poor sportsmanship

no this is cheating. 

At the bottom of every game there is this text/link:

Are you suspicious of cheating in this game? Click here to report this to an administrator (note in-game alliances are not cheating)

If you click the link you see:

. Please note that in-game alliances (as long as they are not pre-game alliances) are permitted according to the site's rules.

Not the "not pre-game" clause.

Instead of posting in the forum, or even worse succumbing to cheating yourself.  Please just report anyone you suspect of cheating.

3. #3 / 30
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I respect your honesty and Ozyman's breakdown is accurate.  You should delete your second account to show that you have forsaken using two accounts.

4. #4 / 30
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:

Several of us posted to their profiles as warnings to others, but who checks all opponent's profiles before joining a game?  Plus, they could delete those posts.  So, I'm not sure what effective  mechanism we have to warn other players about this.   

I don't check all profiles, but this ended up being useful to me today. I check more frequently in lightning situations. Viktorialynn created one game with and one game without lambofgo1970. The game without lamb had players I recognized, so I figured they wouldn't be teaming and I joined/won. I did not join the lamb game.

Anyway, since pre-formed alliances ARE considered cheating, you and the others are encouraged to use the link at the bottom to report the cheating. The wording "in-game alliances" on the cheat report button means that the alliance was formed in response to something in the game, not some pre-agreed nonsense.

5. #5 / 30
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

MH, creating a second account to "prove" something, or to retaliate is a breach of the site's rules.

Consider that it could turn out upon closer scrutiny that they haven't been breaking any rules, in which case you're the cheater and you could be banned from the site.

I too respect your honesty in this matter, but you need to use the proper channels that Hugh and Ozyman mentioned, and the game needs be struck from the record.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #6 / 30
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

MH, creating a second account to "prove" something, or to retaliate is a breach of the site's rules.

Consider that it could turn out upon closer scrutiny that they haven't been breaking any rules, in which case you're the cheater and you could be banned from the site.

I too respect your honesty in this matter, but you need to use the proper channels that Hugh and Ozyman mentioned, and the game needs be struck from the record.

+1 see underlined above

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

7. #7 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yes those two should be looked at, but I'm not so sure MH shouldn't be banned as well.  As was said, that's just as much cheating and throwing off of stats as the other two in question.

Personally, this looks the worst on MH and even if he is allowed to stay I don't know if he can be trusted any longer.

w0000t to returning to being more active with WG! I may even have a board or two in the works with refreshed fire!

8. #8 / 30
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would hope that MH gets off with a warning as he was using his 2nd account in an analytical way. I agree that he should have used proper channels and perhaps this can be a useful lesson to him.

9. #9 / 30
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The point this discussion has reached is absurd.  Some of you (not all, you can self-assess) need to grow a pair or get a life.  Thank God I didn't mention to you schoolmarms the overdue library book in my office.  If this discussion represents the best minds of this gaming community, than do me a favor and ban me before the comments get any sillier as the masochistic side of me can't help but follow this thread.  And while you're at it, throw in a lifetime membership to vickorialynn and lambofgod1970 for finally exposing the likes of me and saving wargear from the cancer I represent.  ("M.H. always seemed like such a nice guy....  Who knew?!"). 

Yea, I realize that by getting in your face it's only going to cause some of you to dig in harder to justify your positions, but that's part of the fun at this point.   Just be careful you don't wield your wit and logic too forcefully or I'll get banned before I can read and appreciate the sting of the verbal spankings. 

p.s.,  In deference to the aforementioned "sanctity of the game stats" (pause for angelic choir sound affect)...  as a courtesy to those I'm currently playing against, you might want to let me finish up those games as I would hate to see my ban actually screw up legitimate games.   Hmm, then again, at this point,  you can't trust me not to purposely screw them up anyway.   That would be my style now, wouldn't it.   Yea, better to just ban me.   The wargear community will thank you and you'll be able to stand a bit taller when you look in the mirror tonight to re-tape the bridge of your glasses.

10. #10 / 30
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You have an overdue library book?!?

haha trollolololololol

11. #11 / 30
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

here is my take on all of this.

m.h. you got mad, and rightfully so. you retaliated by cheating and admitting it.(you got what you got out of it.) i don't want you banned or punished. just ask tom to delete those games and don't retort to those tacticts you chose again. there is a old and rightfull saying that two wrongs do not make a right. maybe instead of writing that off as something our parents just said to us.   .......... we actuaully abide by it. why do we as humans/morons always submit ourselves to beeing over aggressive in what we do.

Mostly Harmless please ask tom to delete those games and in the future just contact him when you suspect cheating.

on a side note this is just a game.   a free one for some, and for others ,well  .............. and obsession. :)

and since i am feeling so outspoken, i would like to revert to one of my favorite sayings.

don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things!

12. #12 / 30
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It’s fine to have a blow-out in a fancy restaurant,
    With terrapin and canvas-back and all the wine you want;
    To enjoy the flowers and music, watch the pretty women pass,
    Smoke a choice cigar, and sip the wealthy water in your glass.
    It’s bully in a high-toned joint to eat and drink your fill,
    But it’s quite another matter when you
                                                                             Pay the bill.

It’s great to go out every night on fun or pleasure bent;
    To wear your glad rags always and to never save a cent;
    To drift along regardless, have a good time every trip;
    To hit the high spots sometimes, and to let your chances slip;
    To know you’re acting foolish, yet to go on fooling still,
    Till Nature calls a show-down, and you
                                                                             Pay the bill.

Time has got a little bill — get wise while yet you may,
    For the debit side’s increasing in a most alarming way;
    The things you had no right to do, the things you should have done,
    They’re all put down; it’s up to you to pay for every one.
    So eat, drink and be merry, have a good time if you will,
    But God help you when the time comes, and you
                                                                             Foot the bill.

Source: The Best of Robert Service (1953)

13. #13 / 30
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

let us put this thread to waste ,

for it has gotten to much crass.

and all of you can kiss my little @$$

14. #14 / 30
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

MH - I wasn't calling for your ban. Most of us are just saying one thing: use the link at the bottom of the game to report the cheating. By saying so, we aren't judging you - we're just saying to use that link. The main reason for the link is to prevent the forums from becoming...

If the reports are accurate, viktorialynn was cheating; alliances from move 1 are considered cheating. tom has been good about addressing cheating, so use the link at the bottom!

15. #15 / 30
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've reviewed a bunch of their game and I'm not convinced that they are cheating. The three players clearly know each other but I have reviewed several games where they fight against each other. Their performance is also not consistent with one person managing three accounts as you would expect a far higher win percentage than they are achieving.

As others have said, the correct thing to do is report any suspicions of cheating via the link on the game pages - something that you've not done so far MH. All this sort of action does is create more of a mess to clean up afterwards.

16. #16 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: I would hope that MH gets off with a warning as he was using his 2nd account in an analytical way.  

That's not true, you can't justify how he was using his second account as he said it was for blatantly attacking a single person or set of people.  MH seems to already see himself as justified for what he did, I'm not convinced that he won't do the same thing the next time or just let it grow to any time he's losing.  

As tom said too, this type of behavior just creates more work for him and doesn't help or solve anything at all.

If MH was actually apologetic or convinced he did something wrong then I could see just brushing it to the side, but I haven't seen that yet. This has nothing to do with me or my ego, it is simply about MH and what he has done.

Anyhow, this is probably going to get out of control, so this will be my last response on this, anyone else can get the last word.

w0000t to returning to being more active with WG! I may even have a board or two in the works with refreshed fire!

17. #17 / 30
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Thingol wrote: I would hope that MH gets off with a warning as he was using his 2nd account in an analytical way.  

That's not true, you can't justify how he was using his second account as he said it was for blatantly attacking a single person or set of people.  MH seems to already see himself as justified for what he did, I'm not convinced that he won't do the same thing the next time or just let it grow to any time he's losing.  

As tom said too, this type of behavior just creates more work for him and doesn't help or solve anything at all.

If MH was actually apologetic or convinced he did something wrong then I could see just brushing it to the side, but I haven't seen that yet. This has nothing to do with me or my ego, it is simply about MH and what he has done.

Anyhow, this is probably going to get out of control, so this will be my last response on this, anyone else can get the last word.

Yert, I think the reason MH created the 2nd account was to confirm his suspicions of these players cheating. Atleast, that's how I interpreted his post.

18. #18 / 30
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Yert, I think the reason MH created the 2nd account was to confirm his suspicions of these players cheating. At least, that's how I interpreted his post.

How could his using two accounts prove that they are in collusion? 

It just showed that he could win with two accounts and then

tom wrote:

All this sort of action does is create more of a mess to clean up afterwards.

19. #19 / 30
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Was it a fog game?

20. #20 / 30
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:

The point this discussion has reached is absurd.  Some of you (not all, you can self-assess) need to grow a pair or get a life.  Thank God I didn't mention to you schoolmarms the overdue library book in my office.  If this discussion represents the best minds of this gaming community, than do me a favor and ban me before the comments get any sillier as the masochistic side of me can't help but follow this thread.  And while you're at it, throw in a lifetime membership to vickorialynn and lambofgod1970 for finally exposing the likes of me and saving wargear from the cancer I represent.  ("M.H. always seemed like such a nice guy....  Who knew?!"). 

Yea, I realize that by getting in your face it's only going to cause some of you to dig in harder to justify your positions, but that's part of the fun at this point.   Just be careful you don't wield your wit and logic too forcefully or I'll get banned before I can read and appreciate the sting of the verbal spankings. 

p.s.,  In deference to the aforementioned "sanctity of the game stats" (pause for angelic choir sound affect)...  as a courtesy to those I'm currently playing against, you might want to let me finish up those games as I would hate to see my ban actually screw up legitimate games.   Hmm, then again, at this point,  you can't trust me not to purposely screw them up anyway.   That would be my style now, wouldn't it.   Yea, better to just ban me.   The wargear community will thank you and you'll be able to stand a bit taller when you look in the mirror tonight to re-tape the bridge of your glasses.

If you posted to express your anger? Check.

If you posted to shed light on a possible injustice? Check.

If you posted to get feedback? Check.

If you expected to get taken seriously and have people respond accordingly? Check.

Was your last post unnecessary? Also, Check.

If you expected to be able to address a public audience by saying __ person did X (douche action), I responded by doing y (douche action), and not have said public comment or give advice on both behaviors? Reality Check!

Would it be a good idea for you to go back and read all these posts as if they're about someone else, to maybe get some objectivity? Advised.

In non-nerd terms:

Think someone cheated you? Life sucks. Deal with it. If you wanna cheat to get your own back? Whatever! But, don't expect us to be, "oh poor baby." when you act like a little B' instead of a grown man.

Untwist your panties, stop acting like a D-bag, and chill the F' out.

Please.

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...
    Edited Mon 5th Nov 21:35 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)