0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123456789   (9 in total)
  1. #1 / 179
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'm looking for your views on what major feature to implement next. Here is a list of active feature requests:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Amde-LBDUI7QdERHeVZ2a0s3QjRHS3NXSGNhMTc3aUE&hl=en&authkey=CLjgyYcH#gid=0

FYI an update to the Native player will go out tomorrow which adds History review so that it is now feature compliant with the Flash player.

What new feature would most improve WarGear?

2. #2 / 179
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

First of all, far ahead :

3 - a complete achievement system ;

Then :

13 - Chart of ranking history + moving average (GR, CP's, Tournament GR, Teams) ;

Also :

126 - Add voting to forum ;

105 - For games with reserves and you haven't placed all your units when you click "Apply"...

3. #3 / 179
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

FYI an update to the Native player will go out tomorrow which adds History review

Hot Diggity Dog - This was gonna be my #1->100 vote for next feature

From the other list, and in order of preference:

76/83 - Continent bonuses for teams in team games (it's in the list twice, or I don't understand the difference between the two)
    55 -  Assassin mode
    21 - World Cup tournament style
    98 - Option to set elimination bonus in cards
    30 - Add replay option with option to swap seats

FYI: 105 and 115 seem to be duplicates too

4. #4 / 179
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Somehow it's not on the list.   <:^O   ..but it's a designer feature so most people probably won't care.

Movement Count   (limited individual troop movement)

I promise I'll never ask for anything else for ever and ever..

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

5. #5 / 179
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure this got on the list, http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2711/List_current_unit_count_on_hover-over_text.

I would like the text box that appears when you hover over a territory to display the current unit count on that territory in addition to the territory name, the owner, the max units, etc. I think this one should be pretty-low effort to implement.

6. #6 / 179
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So glad to hear History is coming to the native player!

There were a couple other issues with the native player:

#1) circle mode for attack/fortify doesn't work.

#2) single layer images don't fill the same as flash player.  The fill continues 1 pixel too far in every direction, making borders look bad or disappearing entirely.  This is also depends on browser.

#3) when trying to turn in cards you don't have - you get 'retry' as an option.  Any reason for this?  How about just 'ok'

#4) When using board explorer for native player you don't see the current state of the board, as compared to the functionality in the flash player where you do.

#5) Bubbles showing results of attacks do not disappear/fade.

Any of those issues resolved in the update?  If not they should be added to the master upgrade list.

Other things I'd like to add to the master upgrade list:

#6) There is currently no way to see where factory continents place units without going to the designer - this information should be more available somewhere to the casual player.

#7) Fog reserve counts separately.

#8) Split view borders into total-view and ownership-view borders.

So those are all issues that I would to be considered as eventual upgrades.

As far as my preferences for what to work on next...

As a map designer, I'd really like to see:

• #36 - Per Territory Minimums - Many of the neat things you can do with capitals require territory minimums of zero, but zero minimums don't work as well for general gameplay.
    • #102 - Unassigned Capitals - Sometimes there is a 'main board', and a side section to the board.  When players are eliminated from the main board we want them to be eliminated from the game.  There are workarounds, but they all have limitations, and the cleanest way to do this would be have the main board be all unassigned capitals.  Players get random territories there, and when they lose them all they are out.

As a player I'd most like:

Upgrades to make viewing history less of a chore:

• #62 (multiple attacks in history as one)
    • #119 (fogged history steps pass more quickly)

As an advocate for wargear, I think we need something to make the website more newb friendly. 

Whether this is some sort of progressive disclosure system tied to an achievement/ranking system (#3), an auto invite for new players (#34), or some kind of integrated mentoring system (didn't see this on the char), or something else.

Also, I think these have been completed, but are not marked as such:

Edited Tue 9th Oct 15:41 [history]

7. #7 / 179
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

-37 Add option to view a users profile from the Info tab of a game

-43 Allow people invited to private games to invite more people to the private game

-21 Add a new Tournament style similar to the World Cup

-51 Rampage switch - Rampage where an attack and transfer with all (currently your "T" option) except a pull down to say how many to leave behind. an attack with all EXCEPT x amount, and if successful transfer all except for said x amount.

-99 Popup notification within player that someone is trying to surrender

-49 Clan system

8. #8 / 179
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

This is like being a kid in a candy store wanting everything -

So I will +1 to all of Ozyman's post so I don't have to repeat it -

And leave room to bring up a few things have mentioned recently that are not on the list -

Invite players to public games -

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2668/public_games

Slight Enhancement to Opponents page -

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2662/Opponents_Page

Slight Enhancement to You Won message -

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2664/you_won_message

Other options for elimination bonus were brought up in this thread also - (I like the ax+b elimination count)

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2502p2/Down_to_3_Players

And a few I have thought of but haven't mentioned - (and may have been said by someone else)

In the History viewer have a button that skips to the end of each players turn in succession

A Links page where we can have links to useful websites for design purposes/Risk Strategy articles/etc.

A separate CP system for team games

Edited Tue 9th Oct 21:39 [history]

9. #9 / 179
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The Rope wrote:

-37 Add option to view a users profile from the Info tab of a game

if you click on the player's name you highlight the territories they own. you have to right-click their name to open in new tab if you want to jump to their profile

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 179
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

This is like being a kid in a candy store wanting everything

Oh god.  No kidding.  It's so hard to look at that list and only pick a few things.

In the History viewer have a button that skips to the end of each players turn in succession

Yeah, even the 'jump to end of last turn' button has been broken for a long time now.  I think it was because Tom put in a new place-holder for when a turn started, to help implement the feature you are talking about, but that never got done and in the meantime the other functionality got broken.

As much as I would love new features, I kind of feel like Tom should spend a round of development just fixing outstanding 'bugs' and putting the polish back on things, where basic features are broken, or hard to use.

11. #11 / 179
    Premium Member Livia
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Yeah, even the 'jump to end of last turn' button has been broken for a long time now. 

It would be awesome to have that fixed! 

Tom, thanks for creating and maintaining such a great site.

12. #12 / 179
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

I'm not sure this got on the list, http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2711/List_current_unit_count_on_hover-over_text.

I would like the text box that appears when you hover over a territory to display the current unit count on that territory in addition to the territory name, the owner, the max units, etc. I think this one should be pretty-low effort to implement.

This will be in today's (could be tomorrow's) update.

13. #13 / 179
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

So glad to hear History is coming to the native player!

There were a couple other issues with the native player:

#1) circle mode for attack/fortify doesn't work.

#2) single layer images don't fill the same as flash player.  The fill continues 1 pixel too far in every direction, making borders look bad or disappearing entirely.  This is also depends on browser.

#3) when trying to turn in cards you don't have - you get 'retry' as an option.  Any reason for this?  How about just 'ok'

#4) When using board explorer for native player you don't see the current state of the board, as compared to the functionality in the flash player where you do.

#5) Bubbles showing results of attacks do not disappear/fade.

Any of those issues resolved in the update?  If not they should be added to the master upgrade list.

1) My top request is to finalize the Native Player.  There are still things as Ozy mentions below but also other bugs that really effect gameplay (specifically teamplay that I've posted in the Native Player thread).  Introducing History will be another great step for the Native player.

2) Achievement system

3) World Cup style tournaments

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

14. #14 / 179
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

As much as I would love new features, I kind of feel like Tom should spend a round of development just fixing outstanding 'bugs' and putting the polish back on things, where basic features are broken, or hard to use.

Again, I'll agree with Ozy and also with Attila.

I'd love an achievement system, but seeing the 30 day estimate to create makes me pause.  In general I think a round of lots of small improvements/fixes would be better now.

15. #15 / 179
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Achievements would be cool..

Also a suggestion.  How about a suggested random Map of the Day to appear above your turn OR at the top of the right column.  This could potentially influence someone to play a map they normally wouldn't or haven't seen and would help diversify the types of games being played and lesser played maps might get a chance to see the light of day.

16. #16 / 179
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:

Also a suggestion.  How about a suggested random Map of the Day to appear above your turn OR at the top of the right column.  This could potentially influence someone to play a map they normally wouldn't or haven't seen and would help diversify the types of games being played and lesser played maps might get a chance to see the light of day.

I'd love something to encourage players to try new maps, but I don't think a random Map of the Day will make much of a difference.

I have no idea what the economics on this site are, but if Tom thinks he can afford it, I'd rather see something like a Tournament of the Month, that is on some lesser played board and has some free membership given to the winner.   To choose the board, have some algorithm that finds boards with high rating and low popularity.  Boards that have already been chosen for Tournament of the month can't be picked again.

17. #17 / 179
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You could incentivize the Map of the Day through the Achievements system!  i.e. Play 10 different maps from Map of the Day, etc..

18. #18 / 179
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:

You could incentivize the Map of the Day through the Achievements system!  i.e. Play 10 different maps from Map of the Day, etc..

Good idea!  If an achievements system gets done, I think that would work.

19. #19 / 179
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:

Win A Map of the Day and Receive Double Bonus Points!

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

20. #20 / 179
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hands down...

#3 Achievement System

Others...

#81 Kings Gameplay

#55 Assassins Gameplay

I'm slightly intrigued by #60 Board Payment System, although not sure how that would work or how beneficial it would be (as I think there could be some benefits to it).

Edited Thu 11th Oct 22:34 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789   (9 in total)