220 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 42
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

If you take a territory, you should get a card, regardless of whether you finish your turn.

2. #22 / 42
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote:

If you take a territory, you should get a card, regardless of whether you finish your turn.

+1

3. #23 / 42
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Not taking a country and not getting a card is certainly a legal strategy.

Letting the clock run out as a stalling tactic may be legal, but it lies on the unethical side of the scale regardless of whether or not you decide to take a country to get a card.

It may not be common but I'm sure that a lot of us have taken their turns, and forgotten to hit the end turn button and we end up apologizing to our opponents.  Not getting a card as punishment is just insult to injury.

If you take a country, you should get a card, regardless of whether you time out or not.  That's my vote.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #24 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Disagree -

5. #25 / 42
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Can't someone who wants to stall, just wait until the last second to fortify anyway? 

6. #26 / 42
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Can't someone who wants to stall, just wait until the last second to fortify anyway? 

The fortify button doesn't end turns on any boards, or does it on some?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

7. #27 / 42
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

smoke wrote:
    BlackDog wrote:

+1

This is my current thinking as well - it seems like a loophole to me. Unless there's some convincing argument to the contrary I'll implement this change over the weekend.

8. #28 / 42
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Disagree -

Can you explain why you disagree?
    Is this because you just happen to be one of the ones who uses this loophole?
    Or is it because you want to penalize those who try to stall a RT game by waiting out the timer?
    Or is it because of some other reason I can't see?

I'd tend to agree with BlackDog and M57, but want to see the opposing argument before I'd vote.

9. #29 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I don't think it should be changed to give the card anyways - I can envision people allowing their timer to run out every other turn since they would only be losing the fortify -

10. #30 / 42
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

The fortify button doesn't end turns on any boards, or does it on some?

As nobody is replying to you M, I am coming back on your question. The fortification itself will end turns, when you have done them all. So if you fortify twice only when you are allowed 3 fortifications, or when the number is set on unlimited, it will not end turn.

Ozyman, it's of course possible to do what you say, and some do it, but you are also making yourself lose time. 

11. #31 / 42
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

I don't think it should be changed to give the card anyways - I can envision people allowing their timer to run out every other turn since they would only be losing the fortify -

:)

12. #32 / 42
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    smoke wrote:
    BlackDog wrote:

+1

This is my current thinking as well - it seems like a loophole to me. Unless there's some convincing argument to the contrary I'll implement this change over the weekend.

I hate it when players are stalling games and I also believe a card should be given if you take a territory.

So I don't know. I have no convincing argument, all the more because I don't think many players were doing that willingly, because they did not know it was possible and mainly because it is seldom useful.

May be we will have to see if too many players abuse of that change, and change it back.

In the other hand, giving a card will solve the RT problem of not getting a card because you did not get the time to finish your turn.

13. #33 / 42
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Trying to penalize a player for letting their turn timer run out by denying them a card makes absolutely no sense.

14. #34 / 42
    Standard Member Shevek
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

to be clear though,   for this to work, you can't just stall,  you have to let the timer actually run out.

there is a penalty for that already,  it gets you halfway to being booted

15. #35 / 42
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

Trying to penalize a player for letting their turn timer run out by denying them a card makes absolutely no sense.

I'm with BD here. I support tom's inclination to change it. (Kind of a fun subtlety, though!)

Also, I don't like how this treats regular players using a fast control on a large board. On a big turn, they have to watch their clock constantly to make sure they hit end turn in time to grab a card. The penalty for slow moves in fast games is that your turns get cut off! (For Fischer clocks, the penalty can be more severe - you might be stuck at 1 minute turns or worse for a few moves.)

16. #36 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Shevek wrote:

to be clear though,   for this to work, you can't just stall,  you have to let the timer actually run out.

there is a penalty for that already,  it gets you halfway to being booted

only if you do it twice in a row do you get booted

17. #37 / 42
    Standard Member RECON
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Then of course there are those of us, at least me,  who ran out of time trying desperately to get done in time to get my card.  So, I really think BlackDog has the right solution:  

If you take a territory you always get your card.

This even protects those of us who do dumb things like forget to fortify, run out of time....etc

18. #38 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Very good point Recon.  Just another reason to do the change.  Smile

19. #39 / 42
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thanks everyone for comments - change is effective now {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

20. #40 / 42
    Standard Member Luieuil
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Good change.

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter" - Winston Churchill

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)