179 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Is playing from Asia ever a feasible option?

This is what happened when I played from Asia. --->  http://www.wargear.net/games/player/177988

I started with 6 territories in Asia.  Australia was out of the question.  I could of made an attempt for SA but i decided that I would most likely lose the battle to yellow (his 9 surrounding units vs my 3).  So I decided to set up shop in Asia then make a push for NA.  Well as you can see I got my ass wooped.  Any advice as to what I should have done?

3ET

2. #2 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I never play from asia except as end game.  In your case I probably would have either taken china, and then fortified everyone in asia down to get australia.  Or if that didn't seem to be working I would have slow played it and hoped that since I was in asia everyone would ignore me until cards could dominate.

3. #3 / 13
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yeah I was in a pretty sticky situation.

4. #4 / 13
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I never play from asia except as end game.  In your case I probably would have either taken china, and then fortified everyone in asia down to get australia.  Or if that didn't seem to be working I would have slow played it and hoped that since I was in asia everyone would ignore me until cards could dominate.

yep!

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Playing from Asia is very tough because 1) anybody who has Australia has nowhere to go but through you and 2) in non fog games everybody can see you and won't let you stand with that bonus.

What ozy said is best in that situation I think

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

6. #6 / 13
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Connected territories like that are a good opportunity to build a stack. If you build a large stack in Asia, you have the choice to invade Australia if the opportunity is there, or you can vacate if you see it's going to cost you too many armies. (If the Australia owner sees your big stack moving _away_ from the Australia action, they won't chase you down!)

For example, a reasonable first move would have been place 3 on Siberia, transfer from Yakutsk. Then there would be 8 in Siberia. Now, if you're bent on grabbing a card, you should still use a transfer to build a stack each turn. (You didn't do this.) I don't mind foregoing a card in the early going because they aren't as cheap as they are later, nor are they worth as much as they are later.

7. #7 / 13
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote: Playing from Asia is very tough because 1) anybody who has Australia has nowhere to go but through you and 2) in non fog games everybody can see you and won't let you stand with that bonus.

What ozy said is best in that situation I think

Yea I would definitely agree. I had no hopes of holding all of Asia.  I was only trying to use it as a starting position.

8. #8 / 13
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

Connected territories like that are a good opportunity to build a stack. If you build a large stack in Asia, you have the choice to invade Australia if the opportunity is there, or you can vacate if you see it's going to cost you too many armies. (If the Australia owner sees your big stack moving _away_ from the Australia action, they won't chase you down!)

For example, a reasonable first move would have been place 3 on Siberia, transfer from Yakutsk. Then there would be 8 in Siberia. Now, if you're bent on grabbing a card, you should still use a transfer to build a stack each turn. (You didn't do this.) I don't mind foregoing a card in the early going because they aren't as cheap as they are later, nor are they worth as much as they are later.

Hmm I have seen ppl use 1 or 2 huge stacks in previous games and only seen it work well for someone a handful of times.  It is not the strategy I use, but I see now that I should start incorporating it.  Although the stack might have gone either way.  My unit count would remain very low even if they were stacked, but it also might have helped take some attention away from me.

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

3EyedTitan wrote:

Hmm I have seen ppl use 1 or 2 huge stacks in previous games and only seen it work well for someone a handful of times.  It is not the strategy I use, but I see now that I should start incorporating it.  Although the stack might have gone either way.  My unit count would remain very low even if they were stacked, but it also might have helped take some attention away from me.

It certainly shouldn't be the _only_ strategy. The point of the stack is flexibility. You should think of a stack as pointing in multiple directions. If there comes a time when Australia is weak, your stack can go in and secure it. If a player becomes weak, your stack helps you grab their cards. Need to run to NA? Your stack can do that too.

The unit count dynamics of a stack are sometimes good and sometimes bad. I like that the tendency is to avoid attacking the stack and just take the 1's you've left behind. (It only costs you 1 unit instead of the usual 3.) But, sometimes it looks too threatening to someone who just secured a continent and they attack it.

If you can secure a good continent early, stack-building is too slow. But, many people use it (in combination with other ideas) with good effect.

10. #10 / 13
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

That's a good point Hugh, well thanks for the advice everyone!

11. #11 / 13
    Standard Member Luieuil
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Asia is a safe haven; just don't try to conquer it. If you're strong, go ahead a grab a continent. If you're weak, Asia is fine.

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter" - Winston Churchill

12. #12 / 13
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Is playing from Asia ever a feasible option?
    Asia is a safe haven; just don't try to conquer it. If you're strong, go ahead a grab a continent. If you're weak, Asia is fine.

+1

Yes, very feasible, if somewhat undesirable.  In a game with many players, building up in Asia and waiting for opportunity to come along can be a winning strategy.

13. #13 / 13
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

That makes sense, thanks for your tips!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)