Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 27
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Hugh wrote:

Today I got this growl bug too (update and it corrects, but then re-growls that I have a turn in this game, update and correct, re-growl, etc), and it seemed particular to

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/119296

I am using FF 9.0.1 and it seems unrelated to the new clock. (I am currently in no such clocked games.) I also logged out, came back, and persisted!

Thanks Hugh I have an idea how to prevent this. Just to be clear, what exactly do you mean by 'update and correct'? Is it definitely the same growl reappearing (i.e. you have not taken your turn / it is not your turn)?

Yeah, it was the same game it kept harping on when it wasn't my turn. Update and correct: I'd press any button, "My Games", "recent" (threads), anything, and it would correct it from "your turn in 2 games" to "your turn in 1 game" (it actually was my turn in one game). I'd click on "your turn in 2 games" and it would show just the 1 game and then refresh it to "your turn in 1 game", then the growl would immediately re-appear, with it going back to "your turn in 2 games".

I should mention that I while I logged off and logged back on, the bug stayed, but when I logged off for a few hours and came back, it was gone. It was a weird bug! Hope you tracked it down.

e^ix=cos x + i*sin x. Tell your friends.

2. #22 / 27
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Hugh wrote:

I just noticed that the lowest unit for the delay clock is 1 minute. It's going to be board dependent, but for any board where a single move can be made quickly, a 1 minute delay is ENORMOUS. If 40 moves are made, that's 40 minutes added to the clock just from the delay. And yet, with a 0 minute delay, it can become a race to just be ahead on time, so it's nice to have a delay.

Traditionally (the aforementioned chess clocks), the delay timer is measured in seconds. 

What should the lowest limit be do you think?

Whatever the interface allows, which it sounds like it's 10 seconds.

With super-slick interfaces, games like internet chess/go where moves can be made with a single mouse stroke, you see people using (and achieving!) 1 second delays. They developed technologies like "timestamps" to account for internet connection delays.

I'm not recommending going to that extreme. Here, the quickest move I can think of is Go-Gear or Octagons LSS - mouse click, hover, mouse click, click end turn. I wouldn't want less than 5 seconds for a delay there and certainly would feel like I'm playing a blitzy game with a 10 second delay.

With too high a delay, the clocks tend to stick around the max time. Sometimes, that's what people will want, but other times it will defeat the purpose. (I played a 5/3/10 last night and we stayed around 10 minutes most of the time because of the delay.)

3. #23 / 27
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Oh, and in the one game I've played with it so far, it's pretty slick. I hope more people try it. It seems to force the move upon you when it's your turn, so no refresh is needed. I like that.

4. #24 / 27
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've amended the time limit so it's now adjustable down to 10s.

Hugh or anyone else if you see the growls repeating please let me know.

5. #25 / 27
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

This is a great new feature - thanks so much for putting this in Tom!

I did notice a small bug when this feature is used on Simulgear games.  If the other person (in a 2 player game - I imagine the same would happen in games with more than 2) finishes their turn first, your units placement "resets" and the units go back off the board into Placement (and any cards you cashed in are cashed back out.  The orders are remembered (to the extent possible), but you have to place your units all over again and redo any orders that involved those new units), and turn back in any sets of cards that you wanted to do.

6. #26 / 27
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Cona Chris wrote:

This is a great new feature - thanks so much for putting this in Tom!

I did notice a small bug when this feature is used on Simulgear games.  If the other person (in a 2 player game - I imagine the same would happen in games with more than 2) finishes their turn first, your units placement "resets" and the units go back off the board into Placement (and any cards you cashed in are cashed back out.  The orders are remembered (to the extent possible), but you have to place your units all over again and redo any orders that involved those new units), and turn back in any sets of cards that you wanted to do.

Well - I've noticed it's doing the same thing as above in Lightning games as well.  Both the above and the post were on Micro Mission the Simulgear Scenario.

7. #27 / 27
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've finally taken the leap to FF (9.0.1) and seeing similar clock issues here that i was on IE 8. when taking turns in normal game, turn timer in the player increments up; but can be reset by reloading the player. resets back to time you entered player the first time. also, when turn is over it doesn't start the next player's turn counter - it stays on me, and still sees the reset bug even after my turn is over.

haven't tried the fisher clock on FF yet. hopefully i can get one going tonight.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)