0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #21 / 102
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Great info thanks Alpha. One thing I would argue is that having good / bad luck early in the game is probably more critical than being lucky / unlucky later on.

Early game luck means winning the skirmishes to grap the important territories / continents, later on there are probably large numbers of units where the luck is not so important.

2. #22 / 102
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Early game luck means winning the skirmishes to grap the important territories / continents, later on there are probably large numbers of units where the luck is not so important.

I agree, until you have bad luck going for an elimination {#emotions_dlg.shakehead}

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

3. #23 / 102
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The one thing that is not fully captured is that if a player is lucky early on, they will probably have a high luck stat as a result.  Usually, the end of the game is what matters the most and if during this time a player is very unlucky, their luck stat may show them as have positive overall luck even though they lost due to a bad turn at the end of the game.

I disagree entirely.. the beginning of the game is what matters the most.  Good luck at the start of the game is in essence "magnified" throughout the game, while good luck at the end of the game is often masked by existing army imbalances.  Losing a roll at the start of the game when I only have a bonus of 3 is much more crushing than losing a roll when I am attacking with a stack of 50.

BD

4. #24 / 102
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Whoops, didn't see that last post.. I agree also!

5. #25 / 102
    Standard Member ecko
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Great info thanks Alpha. One thing I would argue is that having good / bad luck early in the game is probably more critical than being lucky / unlucky later on.

I totally agree with that. The earlier the move, the more important to a player is the result.

Ok well I understood most of the stats, the number on the right of the table shows where you stand versus the expected number of armies you should kill.

Btw I've tried to calculate long enough how favorite I was whenever attacking with 3v2, now I know thanks to you Alpha :) May I ask how you found those results? (Probability of killing 2, 1 or losing 2, that is)

One last thing I m not getting yet,

For example, on Yertle's pasted table, Dud has 111 kills (25 + 86), and 118 deaths (19 + 99), what do the numbers between brackets mean?

6. #26 / 102
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thx for all the explanations! Might I suggest to change the name of the stat into "Dice luck stats"??? As Attila might have noticed recently, I didn't got cards in the last crucial turns of our last fight, while he did! If that wasn't unlucky.... :P

More seriously, what do you think about using the luck stat as a "tie breaking" criteria in tournaments? That would imply to have an "average luck score" over all games, than choosing as winner the less lucky player. What do you think?

Just proposing...

ps: tom, good job with the Elimination system! I was waiting for that but I haven't thanked you yet! ;)

And I've got three questions about premioum account:

1) When it expires, the games exceeding the "10 limit" will stay active, but I will not able to join or create more games, right?

2) My unused "vacation day" will be discarded or will stack up if I renew the account?

3) If I renew few days before the account expires, the new year will start automatically right after the expiration date, or from the day of the payment?

Thx!!!

Edited Wed 26th Jan 19:50 [history]

7. #27 / 102
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@Backdog - I agree in part that the beginning of the game is important, but once a player is off to an early lead, the board is usually against them, so good luck early may be a detriment.  Certainly, as Yertle posted, I was specifically referencing the elimination run when I said bad luck at the end.

@ecko - The probabilities for 6v6 attacks are well known and published results.  Mongrel and I extended the current research to include all possible combination of attacker sided dice vs defender sided dice.  Once you have those probabilities it is easy to calculate expected value.  Unfortunately, this is unpublished research (something I plan on remedying soon) so I cannot divulge the details of the calculations.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

8. #28 / 102
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa II wrote:

ps: tom, good job with the Elimination system! I was waiting for that but I haven't thanked you yet! ;)

And I've got three questions about premioum account:

1) When it expires, the games exceeding the "10 limit" will stay active, but I will not able to join or create more games, right?

2) My unused "vacation day" will be discarded or will stack up if I renew the account?

3) If I renew few days before the account expires, the new year will start automatically right after the expiration date, or from the day of the payment?

Thx!!!

1) Yes that's correct (until you go under the 10 limit again)

2) Currently you can only get 30 days vacation per rolling 12 month period, regardless of how many times you pay for membership. This might need reviewing.

3) The new 12 month period will be tacked on the end (so if you have 3 days left then renew you will end up with 1 year + 3 days of membership)

9. #29 / 102
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

ecko wrote:

For example, on Yertle's pasted table, Dud has 111 kills (25 + 86), and 118 deaths (19 + 99), what do the numbers between brackets mean?

The first number means Kills from Attacking, the second number is Kills from Defending.

10. #30 / 102
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa II wrote:

Thx for all the explanations! Might I suggest to change the name of the stat into "Dice luck stats"??? As Attila might have noticed recently, I didn't got cards in the last crucial turns of our last fight, while he did! If that wasn't unlucky.... :P

Tesc brings up a good point here.  I could imagine a separate stat calculating the "luck" of having a card set vs. not having a set for anybody having 3 cards or more.  Anybody see benefits of having this stat information?

11. #31 / 102
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

Tesc brings up a good point here.  I could imagine a separate stat calculating the "luck" of having a card set vs. not having a set for anybody having 3 cards or more.  Anybody see benefits of having this stat information?

How about a luck stat that says the number of times one of your opponents makes a dumb move and you are in position to capitalize on it?

Tongue-in-cheek of course - but we all (should) know that dice luck is just one part of the overall "luck" that goes into winning a game -

Here's some more - luck of how the initial territories are distributed. Or the lucky (for you) boot of another player.

12. #32 / 102
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Here's some more - luck of how the initial territories are distributed. Or the lucky (for you) boot of another player.

Now there's an esoteric but interesting board stat.  Which initially owned territories are most likely to result in a win?

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

13. #33 / 102
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

Now there's an esoteric but interesting board stat.  Which initially owned territories are most likely to result in a win?

Interesting question! Probably in standard risk board, AU and SA would be the "winning" territory.

Anyway, no aswer about the "luck score as tie-breaking system for tournament" proposition?

(=

14. #34 / 102
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa II wrote:

Anyway, no aswer about the "luck score as tie-breaking system for tournament" proposition?

(=

I think I'm pretty super against it, that's really something you can't control and shouldn't affect Tournament winners IMO.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

15. #35 / 102
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

But luck does affect tournament winners!

Yertle wrote:
    Tesctassa II wrote:

(=

I think I'm pretty super against it, that's really something you can't control and shouldn't affect Tournament winners IMO.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

16. #36 / 102
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Tesctassa II wrote:

(=

Well, my point is, if a tournament should declare the "best" player, considering just skills, then the one less lucky should be the winner. As you said, luck isn't something you can control and shouldn't affect tournaments, but as Mongrel said, luck does affect winning or loosing (sometimes).

(=

17. #37 / 102
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa II wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    Tesctassa II wrote:

(=

Well, my point is, if a tournament should declare the "best" player, considering just skills, then the one less lucky should be the winner. As you said, luck isn't something you can control and shouldn't affect tournaments, but as Mongrel said, luck does affect winning or loosing (sometimes).

(=

People with more skill are more likely to be lucky :)

18. #38 / 102
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

People with more skill are more likely to be lucky :)

Well, not when throwing dice or waiting for cards! =P

(we know that Attila, don't we?)

19. #39 / 102
    Standard Member ecko
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I disagree with the tie breaking luck thing.

20. #40 / 102
    Standard Member RECON
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Where do you go to see "Luck Stats"?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)