207 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   «««161718192021222324   (24 in total)
  1. #421 / 476
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Could we add a feature when under the board tab in the player that breaks down borers into types, so you can view only Artillery borders, etc.?

2. #422 / 476
    Standard Member jdreffs
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I apologize if this has been discussed already or if it is a hardship to implement but, I have used conquer club before and I didn't see anything in your game types along the lines of terminator or assasin modes that they have for games there. BTW, this site looks like it may be my new home for strategy games online. Very sharp and I enjoy the variations you can add to the games here. I'm glad there was a Reddit post about this.

3. #423 / 476
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@jdeffs,

Welcome to Wargear. Did you find us because of the Reddit post?

So how do assassin and terminator modes work?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #424 / 476
    Standard Member jdreffs
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Yeah, it was due to Reddit that I found you guys.

Assasin mode is run by assigning each player a target at the beginning of the game. Your goal is to kill your target before any body else is eliminated. If you eliminate your target first, then you win the game. Same goes for any other player so it can get pretty hectic with everyone trying to keep there guy weak but at the same time helping opposing players that are running weak.

Terminator mode is primarily for beginners or people wanting to play around with new strategies. It is the same a standard risk style games except you get points for any eliminations. it allows beginners to keep their rank stable by eliminating just one player if they have the chance to instead of having to take it all the way for points.

5. #425 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

jdreffs wrote:

Yeah, it was due to Reddit that I found you guys.

Very cool.

Assasin mode is run by assigning each player a target at the beginning of the game. Your goal is to kill your target before any body else is eliminated. If you eliminate your target first, then you win the game. Same goes for any other player so it can get pretty hectic with everyone trying to keep there guy weak but at the same time helping opposing players that are running weak.

This is basically a feature request, although there are a few board designers around here who could probably create a board that does something like you are describing using existing designer tools.

But there are other potential ways as well. There's a proposed designer feature called Widgets, that would probably make creating such a scenario even easier.

The design and play capabilities are growing at a phenominal rate on this site thanks to a very active community but mostly to a super-active man behind the curtain, tom.  But he is one guy doing all the work. Needless to say, the feature request list is quite long and there are a lot of good ideas out there.

As far as making Assassin mode a general feature that could be used in any game, I would say that there are a lot of boards out there where this would make no sense.  There are a lot of WG boards out there that are very un-Risklike.

Terminator mode is primarily for beginners or people wanting to play around with new strategies. It is the same a standard risk style games except you get points for any eliminations. it allows beginners to keep their rank stable by eliminating just one player if they have the chance to instead of having to take it all the way for points.

I would say that this idea for a "ratings" system doesn't mesh very well with the existing system.  If you haven't already, I suggest familiarizing yourself with how the WG ratings work.  Right off the bat, beginners have the option of playing in unranked games. With the exception of Championship points, basic ratings don't move if you don't play and unranked games are a great way to get to know a board and/or work out new strategies.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    Edited Sat 24th Sep 13:02 [history]

6. #426 / 476
    Standard Member jdreffs
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Cool, if y'all have unranked games, then that's basically the same idea. It allows people to mess around without screwing up their points too bad.

I'll definitely be taking a good look around tomorrow or tonight after work to learn more about your maps and game play here.

7. #427 / 476
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:

Did the Top ranked boards get removed from player profiles?

They are there for me so this appears to be fixed or it is browser related.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

8. #428 / 476
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Assassin mode can be done with factories, at least I think...  Does the game end when the first person takes out his target?

9. #429 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Assassin mode can be done with factories, at least I think..

I'm pretty sure it can be done with factories as well.

Does the game end when the first person takes out his target?

Yes, jdreffs wrote..

If you eliminate your target first, then you win the game.

10. #430 / 476
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I can get to work on an Assassin mod for the original...  Can I add a mod to that board?

11. #431 / 476
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

No, but it is probably worthy of a new board anyway since it will be entirely different game-play.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

12. #432 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Assassin gameplay is on the Enhancement List (id 55), and ideally I think it would be just a simple gameplay type or addition to gameplay type.  I think this would be much easier for players than a high number of factories or complicated continent system.  Possibly even the ability to set like Fog on a game per game basis.

13. #433 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't know that I'm a fan of this idea at this point.  Maybe I'm old-school on this one.   If the capability is there using existing designer tools, then the additional feature is not necessary.  But I have other concerns and reasons.

As proposed, it is non-scaleable.  For instance, what if the designer wants to make it such that the winner has to take out two specific opponents? ..three? How about any one, two, or three opponents?

Looking down the road, this sounds like it could be much more successful as a specific type of Victory Condition widget.  An Assassin widget could potentially give designers much more flexibility in defining how Assassin mode works on their boards, which would in turn inspire new and innovative game-play designs.  E.g., Assassin widget(s) could be linked to other board conditions such that players' victory condition targets might change mid-game.

Edited Sun 25th Sep 06:52 [history]

14. #434 / 476
    Standard Member kiranmrock
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

The one suggestion that I have for WarGear is to add an option for a One Day turn. It would make the gameplay a bit faster but also without having to use realtime. The two day mode would take longer. This is only a suggestion and thank you for reading this.

15. #435 / 476
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

kiranmrock - this has been discussed many times before, so you are definitely not the only person to request this, and I believe it was even an option at one point.  I think Tom said it caused more problems than it fixed because there were just too many boots in those games.

Maybe a slightly greater than 24 hour turn clock would work?  26 or 28 hours or something?

16. #436 / 476
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It sounds to me like most players are either wanting a lightning game...or willing to wait multiple days (1,2,3, etc).  Is there any quick way to see the # of boots for 2-day, 3-day, and 7-day durations on a game-normalized basis?  My guess is that each of these are roughly the same.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

17. #437 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I for one would like to see a 5 or 4 minute timer.  There are more and more boards out there that only require you (or limit you) to make a few moves per turn.  I know I sound like a broken record (for those of you who remember what that sounds like), but 10 minute moves take way too long and are part of the reason that lightning games are not feasible when there are more than 3 players.  Who has time to sit around for 25 minutes to take their turn?

18. #438 / 476
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I still like the idea of the chess clock, where did we come to on that?

With the addition of the instant notification sound I feel we're one step closer to a truly "real-time" experience...or at least as close as we can get with this style of play.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

19. #439 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

I still like the idea of the chess clock, where did we come to on that?

With the addition of the instant notification sound I feel we're one step closer to a truly "real-time" experience...or at least as close as we can get with this style of play.

A chess clock or modified chess clock would be great.

20. #440 / 476
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Which sort of chess clock would work? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_clock

Seems like a Fischer clock might be the best option?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««161718192021222324   (24 in total)