205 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   «««67891011121314»»»   (24 in total)
  1. #181 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm still in favor of slight coloration difference for every other row on the table (and/or all tables) for display too. And separating the top 10 players on a board ranking list apart a bit to show where the break is for CPs.

asm is a CYLON!!!

2. #182 / 476
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

also good ideas...

3. #183 / 476
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Holy crap, where did PQ come from? I haven't made any CP gains in far too long. All these darned tournaments you guys have got me in.

In heaven, there are no heart attacks

4. #184 / 476
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I probably haven't researched back into the forums deep enough but why, on the Rankings page, are Points the default consideration for top of the heap?  It seems to me that Points are the most artificial of the stats, although it occurs to me that Score (which would be my #1 choice) might be a tad more easily manipulated.  Consider poor asm's plight.  How can he possibly participate in tournaments and keep racking up the points at the same time?

I think a more definitive ranking system might be a melding of all of these.  Something like:

Overall WarGear Rating = G Rating * Score + Points  (I know. Like we need another stat.)

I don't know ..maybe you could include a tournament rating somehow too. 

While I'm on the subject, Eliminated always seemed like an unnecessary stat to me.  What's the point? Bragging rights? Of more interest to me might be what I would think of as an Aggression Rating, which could be something like..

Eliminated/total # of opponents * 100

I don't know if this would be the best indicator of a given player's level of aggression, but you get the idea.

Edited Sun 13th Jun 19:31 [history]

5. #185 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Let's see, asm might not be happy with (Score+points)*G (which is different than the equation in my previous post), but I like the way the New Rank weights Score.

G

Score

NewScore

New Rank

poloquebec

asm

Yertle

Norseman

Hugh

bengaltiger

Waldo

Amidon37

BlackDog

KrocK

Actually, I'm sure it would throw him down even further in the rankings because I only re-ranked the top ten against each other.

I'm just tossing out the balloon to see how far it flies.

6. #186 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Eliminated is pretty much just a bragging right. There was talk of "Aggression" stat/calculation, but they never worked out all that great. So for the time being I think simplicity won with just tracking number of eliminations.

As for the Ranking system you proposed, eh... Current default of Ranking by Championship Points is simple yet takes into account how well a player has to play across multiple boards/types. So instead of just being truly excellent at one board (ie Global Warfare), sorting by CPs means you have to play well across multiple boards.

I like the current system in that it's simple to understand (granted it is a bit tough at first, but once you understand it then it is easy to see how to move up the rankings) and does display how well you do across multiple boards, both of which I think your calculation doesn't handle as well.

asm is a CYLON!!!

7. #187 / 476
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I'm doing pretty poorly lately. My score went from 2100+ to 1600-something in about 2-3 weeks. I haven't won anything, I've cut down my # of games by 1/3, and the wide majority of games I'm still in are development or tourney games. The weather outside may just be too nice.

Anyway, enough about me. M, your post really cracked me up because it did mirror pretty closely some discussions we had in the early days on this site.

Here's the thread on 'aggressiveness stat' which I think we debated until we were all too sick of the idea to settle on anything to actually implement: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/396p1/Aggressiveness_stat__-_Maths_gurus_needed

Here's a thread where I try to come up with arguments for using Global Ranking over CP's until Norseman posts a link to an earlier thread where I tried to take the opposite side of that debate: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/472

EDIT: I don't care what you say about the Eliminations stat, we can't do away with it at least until after I pass Dud. Although now that I look, I think he's actually pulling away from me. Damn.

In heaven, there are no heart attacks
    Edited Mon 14th Jun 11:44 [history]

8. #188 / 476
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

This is a minor thing, but it would be nice if the unit placement phase was skipped in situations where you have no units to place and no card set. Five is a good example of when this starts getting annoying.

BD

9. #189 / 476
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

On the Board Ranking page, it would be nice to have the ability to sort boards by Board Ranking/ Board Rank Points/ Championship points earned. For now it would be nice if it had a default sort by Board ranking perhaps.

10. #190 / 476
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote: On the Board Ranking page, it would be nice to have the ability to sort boards by Board Ranking/ Board Rank Points/ Championship points earned. For now it would be nice if it had a default sort by Board ranking perhaps.

You can do this on the Player Stats page.  It would be nice on the Board Rankings page also though.

11. #191 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    BlackDog wrote: On the Board Ranking page, it would be nice to have the ability to sort boards by Board Ranking/ Board Rank Points/ Championship points earned. For now it would be nice if it had a default sort by Board ranking perhaps.

You can do this on the Player Stats page.  It would be nice on the Board Rankings page also though.

I do like that the Board Ranking page is by last finished game, but could see where the others would be nice. 

I think it would be nice to be able to sort by most recent Rank/CP Change that way it would be easier to find what board you lost CPs in if someone moved ahead of you in the Top 10 for the board.

12. #192 / 476
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I think it would be nice to be able to sort by most recent Rank/CP Change that way it would be easier to find what board you lost CPs in if someone moved ahead of you in the Top 10 for the board.

+1111111111111111111111111111111

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

13. #193 / 476
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Yes, and along those lines it would be fun to be able to see some history of the Board Championship page and the rankings page for each game.  I originally thought that a column with "change since last week (or month)" would be nice, but didn't see how to cleanly implement it so I didn't suggest it.  But now my thought, that I like, is to have a series of buttons that show the page at certain time periods in the past.  e.g. 1 day ago, 3 days ago, 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago, 1 month ago.   

14. #194 / 476
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Or how 'bout like Billboard Charts with a "last week" and/or "last month" position or an up/down arrow with a number saying how far they moved.

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.

15. #195 / 476
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

This sort of thing has been on the list for a while - I like the idea of a Billboard type chart as well 'movers for this week'

16. #196 / 476
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote: This is a minor thing, but it would be nice if the unit placement phase was skipped in situations where you have no units to place and no card set. Five is a good example of when this starts getting annoying.

BD

Yes. Comes up in other games too.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

17. #197 / 476
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

move the charts, board designs, and board reviews quick links inline with settings, messages, and logout in the toolbar below their current position. with text, please, which would make them infinitely more clickable.

In your Face!

18. #198 / 476
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's a good idea.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

19. #199 / 476
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Would make that string a bit long though esp if you have all 3 icons visible.

20. #200 / 476
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

My screens are all much wider than they are tall. I have plenty of space there. I don't anticipate the site ever going so deep as to need breadcrumbs all the way across.

In your Face!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««67891011121314»»»   (24 in total)