Rank Posn

This sticky covers general enhancements to the site -

Bundle up game tabs so they all fit on one game Info page
    Rules + Rankings help pages
    Use clickable image map for playerbar to link to profiles
    Daily / Weekly 'it's your turn in x games' emails
    Sort options for board pages - popularity, category, price, release date
    Multiple attack log entry - speeds up history view
    Additional setting - only allow friends to invite me to games / block enemies
    Home page customisation
    Game list column customisation
    Preview teammates moves in simultaneous mode (premium feature?)
    Game join page - add +- button to add / remove invitation fields
    Game join page - better way of selecting friends to invite
    Add player name suggest code from friends page to create game page
    Fog setting hover helper text / icons
    Change player color after joining
    If a Friend make the header on profile page (where the player's name is) Green.  If an Enemy make it Red.
    Link to the player's Released (Live) Maps somewhere
    Add team and private game stats
    Multiple scenario support
    Charts showing game board popularity
    Logos download page
    Text history log

2. #2 / 476
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

When invited to a game I like to see who the host is. Haven't noticed that info anywhere.

The "My Games" tab doesn't make any sense to me. It displays games in Play phase, games in Join phase, terminated games, all in no discernible order that I can see.

I'd like to see games I've been invited to show up in the 'turns waiting' areas. Don't think I should have to navigate myself to My Games just to check and see if somebody's invited me to something.

3. #3 / 476
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'd add the ability to stay logged in/on - doesn't seem to be keeping it so now.

4. #4 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: i'd add the ability to stay logged in/on - doesn't seem to be keeping it so now.

Hmmmm, I'm able to stay logged in without a problem (in Firefox), could be user specific?

5. #5 / 476
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm also getting problems staying logged in. Seems to be that when I switch computers I have to log back in.

BTW did you do "Multiple attack log entry - speeds up history view" already? It seems history view loads very quickly now.

If you do this can you make the History View default to showing the board as it looks right before the first move? Like, bypass the whole 300 turns worth of board setup and placement? It's redundant information since you can see how the placement phase went by simply seeing how the board looks before the 1st turn.

Edit: mornin' Yertle!

Edited Mon 16th Nov 10:12 [history]

6. #6 / 476
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i upgraded to IE 7 and i can log in from home in the morning, and when i get home at night i have to relog in. (dunno if it's cus i log in from work; but i usually don't have that problem on WF).

7. #7 / 476
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

something a little off topic but... it would be nice to have the games that haven't started or you have been invited to at the top of your games list instead of the bottom. i find it a little bit of a pain when you have multiple pages in your game list and you gotta check the last page to see if you have a invite. or maybe have a link form the home tab that shows game invites as well as your turn and open games.

8. #8 / 476
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: i upgraded to IE 7 and i can log in from home in the morning, and when i get home at night i have to relog in. (dunno if it's cus i log in from work; but i usually don't have that problem on WF).

Yes, that's by design I'm afraid (i.e. a security feature). You can't be logged into WG on more than one computer at once.

A unique session id is stored in your browser cookies which is used to authenticate you when you return to your computer.

9. #9 / 476
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: When invited to a game I like to see who the host is. Haven't noticed that info anywhere. - on the game join page it's always the person at the top of the list. I'll add a 'Host' identifier to make it clearer.

The "My Games" tab doesn't make any sense to me. It displays games in Play phase, games in Join phase, terminated games, all in no discernible order that I can see - you can sort by any of the fields you like... if you don't want to see ended games then select View: Live'

I'd like to see games I've been invited to show up in the 'turns waiting' areas. Don't think I should have to navigate myself to My Games just to check and see if somebody's invited me to something - yep, good point

10. #10 / 476
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The page indicators where you have Pages: 1 2 (2 in total) seem backwards in terms of the highlighting on the boxes.

When you are on page 1 it is small and page 2 box is bigger with a border. When you are not moving your mouse over it your brain reads it as being on page 2.

It's only an issue when there are 2 pages.

It also bothers me a little that the boxes are different sizes and different shapes.

11. #11 / 476
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think this was mentioned somewhere else, but it would be nice to have an option to leave stalled games immediately and with no penalty. Maybe set up a timer so if a game has been delayed for over a week, or three times the boot time, or something like that, you have the option to click "leave game". For example, I don't feel like PMing all 4 other players in this game, http://www.wargear.net/games/view/3903/Board, just to get them to vote to boot the offending party (who happens to be the host as well...).

12. #12 / 476
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote: I think this was mentioned somewhere else, but it would be nice to have an option to leave stalled games immediately and with no penalty. Maybe set up a timer so if a game has been delayed for over a week, or three times the boot time, or something like that, you have the option to click "leave game". For example, I don't feel like PMing all 4 other players in this game, http://www.wargear.net/games/view/3903/Board, just to get them to vote to boot the offending party (who happens to be the host as well...).

Kjeld, go look at this thread 3 days and no boot? we've been talking about just this stuff.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

13. #13 / 476
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think it would be good to have a count down timer (# of days left)to when your membership expires.

14. #14 / 476
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It does actually say this under Settings -> Account.

15. #15 / 476
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

note to self: try not to suggest things that are already there. ;)

16. #16 / 476
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Enhancement to text history log suggestion: An interesting style of history log would be to lift every last bit of fog (useful for strategy analysis). So, the precise card received is recorded (so you know after a game whether someone was saving their set or not), the precise BAO orders given are recorded (not just the results).

I suspect some players would prefer to not part with their secrets, so the option to turn this off or to have off as the default might be good. On/off at the end of a game for fog might be a separate option.

-Hugh

17. #17 / 476
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep good idea. Once I have completed the current set of enhancements I'll be introducing better log file analysis within the Flash Player. Would you guys also want to be able to access the log in text form?

18. #18 / 476
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yes, please. The movie is good to get bird's-eye view of the game flow, but not so good for analyzing exactly what happened during a particular set of moves.

Edited Mon 30th Nov 16:48 [history]

19. #19 / 476
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yes, for sure give us access to the raw text!

No matter how good the Flash Player log file analysis becomes, someone is likely to come up with an unforeseen viewpoint from which they wanted to see the data. It seemed like a lot of the plug-ins (on WF) were developed for a particular kind of summary of the history log.

-Hugh

20. #20 / 476
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was looking at starting a game and went to the create game tab. there was only a pull down tab of names to choose from so i had to go to the boards tab to see which one was which.

Suggestions:
    - need to be able to see at least a thumbnail of the board on the Create Game page.

- nowhere that i can find is a place to see the 'About game' info or 'Rules' or any of that type about a particular board (am i just missing this or can you really not see it until you launch a player after having already joined a game on that board?).

- would be nice if you could see the above info AND create a game while viewing a particular board on the Boards page.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789»»»   (24 in total)